Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilias Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2004, 06:28 AM
    Database is all shapes instaed of letters
    Hi realley need help I was putting database back on my p.c from a floppy disc and instead of using Microsoft access I used wordpad now when I open it it comes up with lots of squares and symbols please can anyone help me
    Metamorphousthe Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2004, 12:57 PM
    Re: database is all shapes instaed of letters
    Okay, I have to recreate this in my mind. You have a file on floppy x.mdb (where x is the name of the file) or something like that with an extension of .db or .mdb (for database or Microsoft database). You put the fie on your computer and opened it with wordpad instead of opening it with access (or at least going into access first and opening the file from there). When you open the file with wordpad, you see a lot of jibberish? Most likely this is the programming language for the MDB which is normal to see. As long as the extension stays the same, when you go into access and open the file from there, everything should be normal. If not, then delete the file and go back to the floppy and put it back on the PC again. Did I understand you correctly?
    lilias Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2004, 02:35 PM
    Hi
    I think that's what I meant, but when I put floppy disc in it only opens the old database he doesn't use (the one I didn't open with wordpad) when I try to open the other one It comes up Microsoft Access can't find the database file A:\db1.mdb: so I am very stuck hope you can help me thanks very much
    Metamorphousthe Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2004, 05:27 AM
    Okay, you have 2 mdb's on the floppy, an old one and the one you want. The old one was not opened with wordpad and reads in access fine, the one you want you opened with wordpad and access can't find it.

Even if you open an .mdb with wordpad it should not affect the file, unless you altered it and/or saved it as a .txt (which reformats the file). And if you did this from the original file on the floppy and do not have access to the very-original file to which you got the one on the floppy from, you have reached the end.

If you have not altered it and/or save it as a .txt (btw, just opening the file does not alter it, it's only when you input, delete, etc from the text body or save as a .txt do you alter the file), you should be able to open access, go to the file tab, then choose open and at the bottom is a list of extensions just below where you would input the file name. Clicking the arrow brings up a pop-up menu to which you can choose "all files", then browse to your floppy drive for the file you are looking for.

If you do not see the extensions for the files, unhide them from your folder options.

BTW, the information above about what alters a .mdb is based on a test I just did with an .mdb of mine using access.

And, yes, if you open .mdb, you do see squares, but if I close it without saving it as a .txt, it remains a .mdb. Even if you save it as a .txt, simply changing the extension to .mdb or opening it with wordpad and attempting to save it as something other than a .txt or .rtf style file will not bring back the dbase format.
    okyere238 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2011, 10:49 AM
    V

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Meaning of tv-radio call letters [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a website that gives the meaning of radio-tv callletters? i.e.wlup-fm chicago- the loop

Chinese letters spelling out the name Terahare [ 2 Answers ]

Hi could anyone please help with this. I would like to know the chinese spelling of this name Terahare thanks

Dispute Letters [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone point me to a good dispute letter to CA's? One that is in line with the system so I can try to get some answers. I know some of these collectors don't have the original docs to prove the account. Do they have to have the original contract where I signed? Also I was told in the state...

View more questions Search