Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Dec 12, 2007, 05:25 PM
    doughlas fir properties
    Is doughlas fir (4x4) stronger than yellow pine? Is it as weather resistance as pressure treated wood? If it sit( bare)outdoor would mildew grown on it, would kilz keep off the mildew? Thanks
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Dec 12, 2007, 06:14 PM
    No, no and yes. And then no

To recap, yellow pine is much stronger and is using in framing structural members, if you put fir outside untreated it will rott. And mildrew will grow on it as it rotts, kilz will stop the mold but for only so long, it will come back again and again,
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Dec 13, 2007, 09:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by caibuadday
    Is doughlas fir (4x4) stronger than yellow pine? Is it as weather resistance as pressure treated wood? if it sit( bare)outdoor would mildew grown on it, would kilz keep off the mildew? thanks
    I saw it at HD in the middle of pressure treated section, so I thought it was weather proof. It cost 50% more than the pressure treated wood.
    bcrocker1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2010, 03:54 PM
    This user is talking about Douglas-fir, not true fir. "True" fir is weak, mold-susceptable, and unsuitable for structure. Douglas-fir, which is not a member of the "fir" family, is the strongest of the western softwoods, and is indeed stronger than yellow pine.
    bcrocker1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2010, 03:56 PM

Oh, and because douglas-fir is so dense, it is generally resistant to moisture and mold penetration. So treating it is a) pointless and b) difficult, as the density of its grain makes it difficult to penetrate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

REO properties [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to sell reo properties for the banks. Does anyone know whom I need to contact (Department)... I do see the trustees information on the notice of defaults, are these the people to contact or do I go direct to the bank and ask for who? Thanks

Properties of plasma [ 1 Answers ]

What is the shape of plasma volume of plasma structure of plasma compenssibility , temeperature and pressure of plasma?

Lock properties [ 2 Answers ]

Sir, Would u say the msdos command to lock the properties option in pop up menu

View more questions Search