Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snigadnol Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2005, 02:27 PM
    Faulty limit switch?
    Toward the end of a heating cycle, the burners would shut down and the fail code would read "open limit switch". The repairman said the limit switch was faulty and installed a new one a couple of days ago. It seemed to work fine until this morning, and now it's doing the same thing as mentioned above. What's up?
    wheatnbarley24 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Dec 18, 2005, 03:32 PM
    You need to make sure your filter and cooling coils are both clean. You also need to check your vent pipe for any obstruction
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2005, 05:48 PM
    The control board could be going bad.
    snigadnol Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2005, 08:33 PM
    Faulty Limit Switch
    Thanks for all the advice. Here's an update:

I had the servicemen back in to investigate. The cooling coil was clean. The limit switch was working properly. The vent seemed clear. Then we tried running the furnace w/o a filter in, and the limit didn't open - everything seemed to work just fine. The service guys think that probably the return ducts are just adequate to provide the needed air for the plenum. I had a higher quality air filter, but this also reduced the volume of air that could be pulled into the plenum, so things would get too hot. They suggested I use a cheaper, lower quality filter and just change them more often. The other solution would probably be to add more return ductwork to feed the furnace.

So the furnace is working, but does anyone out there have any other suggestions so that I might be able to use a better filter?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2005, 10:09 PM
    Usually the blowers have several speeds available selectable by changing jumpers on the control board. If the air flow is marginal, the furnace may not be operating as efficiently as it should. You will need the schematic for the furnace and some time to figure out changing the jumpers yourself. You might talk to the technicians too. Perhaps if it was as simple as that, they would have done it. May need a bigger motor.

Could look into an electrostatic filter, no restriction and very efficient filtering.
    wheatnbarley24 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Dec 21, 2005, 03:44 PM
    What size is your return air? What size unit do you have?
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Dec 21, 2005, 05:11 PM
    [QUOTE=wheatnbarley24]What size is your return air? What size unit do you have?[/QUOTE... you could expand the surface area of the filter (reduce obstruction) by install "V" shape filter rack... *** instead of single filter; V filter rack use 2 or more filters...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Open Limit Switch on B18099-13. Help! [ 6 Answers ]

I have a furnace with the B18099-13 control board. The fan blows constantly whenever power is applied. The status LED on the control board indicates "OPEN LIMIT SWITCH" Where are the two limit switches located? On board or off? Are there any tricks, quick-fixes, or "band-aids" for this...

Furnace Limit Switch [ 15 Answers ]

I've raised this issue in other forums. I have a high efficiency furnace that has worked flawlessly for the last four years (the house was built in 2000). This year we had to have the circuit board replaced. After that there was a problem with the blower, i.e. it wasn't shutting down after the...

What is a limit switch? [ 4 Answers ]

When I woke up this AM my heater was blowing cold air and the fan wouldn't turn off. All other gas appliances, etc. worked fine. The indicator light on my furnace shows an open limit switch, but I have no clue where to even look for this. A little help?

Limit switch [ 1 Answers ]

My air conditioner's pan was full, we emptied it and now it won't cut on. Where is the reset button for the limit switch? Is there one? We can't find it.

Limit Switch - Pressure Switch [ 0 Answers ]

Hello Folks, This weekend I've been playing with a heating system at my new apartment and I'm trying to figure out what the different componets do. I kind of followed the circuit but still have some missing links... 1-There are some terminals on the furnace's circuit board labeled LIMIT. The...

View more questions Search