Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maryjo Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2005, 11:39 AM
    Whirlpool washing machine
    Hi. My 20 year old whirlpool fills up, but won't agitate. If I manually move to rinse, it will drain and go through a final rinse. I makes noise like something is loose. There is a slight overheating smell. I bought a motor coupling, but am not sure that is the problem. I also need help installing it if it is. Thanks
    Lotta Posts: 124, Reputation: 8

Dec 18, 2005, 12:27 PM
    May need a new v-belt. Or it could need a new wig-wag solenoid. The wig-wag controls the transmission changing from spin to agitate.

Dec 18, 2005, 07:14 PM
    Thanks, for the quick response, Lotta. I figured out how to take apart the washer and replace the motor coupling. The old one didn’t look too bad. It wasn’t in pieces like I expected it to be. Where is the v-belt located? My machine is not belt driven. Is the wig-wag solenoid part of the transmission? Thanks for your help
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2005, 07:37 PM
    Some older machines had a belt connecting the motor and different parts running all around the base of the machine. If yours had one, it would be very apparent if you have looked inside. If it will spin and drain, chances are the motor coupling is OK. If it doesn't agitate, it may have a bad solenoid. They are a cylinder mounted on the transmission in the center under the machine. They will have 2 wires going to them, and maybe a rod coming out to a lever. When the timer switches it on, the solenoid pulls the rod in and the lever shifts the transmission into the correct position. You could try pushing the lever with a screwdriver to see if the solenoid is the problem. It that shifts the washer into agitate, the solenoid could be bad, or the timer may not be giving it power. The rod from the solenoid may be pinned to the lever and the pin gone too. Do you have anything to check electrical power? It may take several posts to work this one out.

Jan 2, 2006, 01:41 PM
    This washing machine has no visible solenoid. I can't see two wires or a lever. The transmission is an enclosed unit. Should I be taking it apart to find the problem? Thanks. I'm thinking timer?
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2006, 03:35 PM
    Removing the transmission and taking it apart, might be more of an adventure than you should tackle. I would try to figure out the timer first. There should be a diagram either on the back or inside. They are confusing. They will show if each switch worked by the plastic cam is closed or not. See if you can figure out which of the wires running to the motor and transmission should be hot in the agitation cycle. Make sure they are.

How? I came across the niftiest gadget for trouble shooting, a voltage detector. They work through the insulation of wires. There are several brands. I have a GB Instruments GVD-505A, less than $15 at Home Depot. Touch it to a hot wire, and the end glows red. Find the doodad that lights it on one side, and not the other, and you have the culprit.
    polar Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2006, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by maryjo
    Hi. My 20 year old whirlpool fills up, but won't agitate. If I manually move to rinse, it will drain and go through a final rinse. I makes noise like something is loose. There is a slight overheating smell. I bought a motor coupling, but am not sure that is the problem. i also need help installing it if it is. Thanks
    May need new motor

Jan 4, 2006, 09:31 PM
    Thanks for all your help. I bought a beautiful Whirlpool front loader . It is being delivered Saturday! 19 years is just too old. Wish me luck! :D MJ
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Jan 9, 2006, 06:59 PM
    Just make sure you don't use liquid soap in it. Eventually, the grey rubber door boot will begin to turn black with mold, the interior of the drain pump and the drain hose will turn black with mold, and the washer will begin to stink. I can tell when someone is using liquid detergent when I walk in the door. Hope you find this useful.

Jan 10, 2006, 04:46 PM
    Thanks for the advise, Applguy. I was told that if I leave the door ajar after use it will not mold. What do you think? How come this is so common with front loaders?

Jan 10, 2006, 05:01 PM
    Actually, it's not just common in front loading washers; it's also common in top loading washers. The difference is you can see it in a front loading washer. I actually get calls all the time from people with smelly top loading washers and when I take the inner basket out, the outer tub is full of really nasty slime. Maytag had the most complaints because their washer has been out for almost 10 years. Their first response was to tell people to leave the door open, but that didn't work, because airflow isn't the problem. The Duet washer venting system is better than the Neptune ever was. The bottom line is that I have never had the complaint from people who use a name-brand granular detergent. Maytag Customer Service is just now starting to tell people to stop using liquid detergents. Keep in mind that I live in Nebraska. I don't know where you live, and the water table can vary quite a lot from region to region. You may live in an area that doesn't have this problem, but consider that granular detergent has been in use for decades. It wasn't until the last 10-20 years that liquid detergents have become very popular. I don't understand why because liquids are too easy to over-use, they spill everywhere, and it's just plain messy. I say stick with what has worked forever, and you should be OK. By the way, make sure your detergent dispenser is set for granular detergent if you choose to use it. Cheers.

Jan 12, 2006, 08:42 AM
    Ok applguy I believe you. I live in Buffalo and although I don't know about the water tables I will use up my liquid and buy granular. It makes sense to me. Thanks for the tip. MJ
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2006, 09:07 AM
    I think Buffalo water comes out of the Niagara river and is going to be relatively low mineral. The water table is the point down in the ground where the ground is saturated with water. Very important where people depend on wells for their water, but not to you. As the water table fluctuates, the minerals in the water can change. Sometimes we have a lot of red iron oxide in our well water, and sometimes not. The carbon filter we use stops it, but it quickly clogs the filter. We also have a lot of lime in the water all the time. Not sure Nebraska has the lime, or what problems any minerals might cause.

I have had family in both Buffalo and Nebraska.
    dmchrist Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 07:01 AM
    If you used liquid soap, how do you get rid of the mold. I have wiped down inside the rubber boot with bleach water mixture and done several cycles with hot bleach water. Is there anything else? Whirlpool's website doesn't mention anything about this at all.

Jan 22, 2006, 06:07 PM
    I'm sure it doesn't. My experience has been that if the boot gets mold on it, you can't get it off. In that case I usually have to change the boot.
    Fusree Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2010, 04:05 AM
    Hi My whirlpool machin is from 4 years and suddenly stopped from working after 25 minutes. What to do?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine Box [ 10 Answers ]

Greetings. My basement has an overhead Sewer pipe going out to the front. Therefore, if I want a washing machine in the Basement, I have to pump the discharge up and out in some way. Right now, the discharge goes to the sump pump hole and then is pupmed out. I want to install a washing...

Whirlpool washing machine won't fill [ 1 Answers ]

When starting the washing cycle, the water enters but it keeps getting pumped out and I can hear what sounds like the pump. The stand pipe is above the machine so I don't think that's the problem. Thanks

Whirlpool LA5700XS Wash Machine [ 7 Answers ]

Anyone know how to clean the tub that surrounds the basket without taking apart the whole machine? The machine is about 15 years old, but in great working order, except it smells moldy now. I think I traced the smell to some mold and or something in the tub, but can't see an easy way to separate...

View more questions Search