Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wrenwell Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2005, 11:23 AM
    Blown bulbs when switching on
    Hi: Having an odd problem w/ light bulbs blowing across 3 circuits with no dimming or brightening. When switch is flipped on, bulbs immediately fail, one actually made a small "pop" sound--6 in all in one week. Also had reverb on computer speakers.

Basic Info: 80 year old house; all new wiring except for livng room run on knob and tube which is tied into one of the new circuits. Power company check states no loose neutral on their side. Have lived in house 30 years w/ no problems until last week. Have been told a loose neutral would cause brightening and dimming, and since I don't have those symptoms that I don't have one. Knob & tube in unusually good condition.

Looking at other posts I discover info about shared neutrals and flourscent lights--I not only have fluorescent fixtures, I use flourscent bulbs in regular lamps.

Complications: Am awaiting roof repair due to termite damage plus a leak at an exterior wall where the knob and tube feeds an exterior light on sun porch.

Question: If the knob & tube got wet could it affect the rest of the circuits? Could the termites have damaged the newer wiring? Any other comments would be appreciated.

Thanks--Wrenwell
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2005, 02:57 PM
    Incandescent lights often go out with a flash when turned on at the end of their life. Is that what these are, or is it fluoresents or the compact fluoresents that screw in a conventional socket? I am mainly thinking of a bad batch of bulbs. I once fixed a flickering light problem by replacing the GE energy saving light bulbs with cheap no names.

Most wiring faults would cause low voltage, and blowing light bulbs would take high voltage. Squirrels and termites might damage the insulation, maybe burn the house down, but not blow the light bulbs. Does the computer with the speaker problem have a surge protector?

Did the power company check the incoming voltage?
    Wrenwell Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2005, 10:14 AM
    Bulbs Blowing
    Thanks, Labman, for reply: Bad batch is a good possibility. Half of the lighting I use on a regular basis is incandescent (60&100) and all those blew. But, the bulbs had been installed at various times over several months--so all 6 of varying ages decided to blow in the same week. No problem w/ fluorescent fixtures/compact bulbs. I've never noticed any flashing on bulb death, occasional pop sound--it's instantaneous to flipping switch however, so I could miss any flashing.

Computer & speakers are connected to surge strip in a room on its own circuit. Reverb loud enough for me to shut them off, but its gone now. Power company did not check incoming voltage.

Hopefully all of this is a coincidence coupled with a series of events that got "blown" out of proportion.

Thanks again, Wrenwell.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2005, 12:34 PM
    Keep us posted. Not sure this is something to let go. Keep an eye on the thread. Turks may have a better answer than mine the next time he drops in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Switching from LLC to S-Corp [ 1 Answers ]

We've been an LLC for just a couple of months and have decided to become an S-Corp. We're in NY. We've got start-up costs invested and don't want to take a loss on our personal return when we dissolve the LLC - we'd rather get this money back. Can we transfer the assets and liabilities to the new...

BCP: Switching from OrthoTricyclene Lo to Seasonale [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I started taking Orthotricyclene Lo just last month and have finished my pack just last week. My period came and gone the last week I was on the placebo pills on Ortho. Finished the Ortho pills on a Saturday, and started a new pack of SEASONALE the day after (Sunday start). I'm 5 days...

Switching fuses to breaker [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought my first home with my wife. The house has an old fusebox, which both my wife and I hate the thought of having to deal with. We want to switch over to a breaker box, but I have never done this before, so I have some info and some questions... First of all, is this something...

Blown gasket or blown cilynder [ 2 Answers ]

Ok... lets get down to it... I know nothing about cars... I am 17 and a girl and my dad know about as much about cars as I do. Well here's what's happened with my '97 saturn SL1 in the past few weeks. ~My oil light comes on... I tell my dad and he tells me to check it. My boyfriend and I check...

Switching Filetypes [ 2 Answers ]

OK, I understand how switching the extensions works, but does anyone know how to switch say, Forgotten Face.mid to Forgotten Face.mp3 without making my PC think that it's not an audio file? Or even better, a way to get RealPlayer to recognise MIDI as an audio type. Thanks ~Me.

View more questions Search