Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gijoehood Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 07:42 AM
    Air lock or hammer lock
    I was just wondering how I can rememdy hammer lock or airlock? I think that is what it is. I just bought this house that has been sitting for 3 months unoccuppied. I connected my washer and when the washer starts to cycle by pulling water to the unit, I hear this bang evertime it purges water. How do I fix this problem?

Thank you,

Ced
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Possibly by installing an expansion tank at the water heater.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 13, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Doug has one solution let me add another. "Water hammer" happens when you abruptly shut off the water. You have at least 40 pounds of pressure pushing the water flow. The weight of the water hitting a 90 degree bend causes the sound that you hear. We put in shock absorbers,(air chambers) to cushion the hammer much like the shocks on your car.
    Back in the 60's we were required to to put shock absorbers,(air chambers) on all bath lavatorys and kitchen sinks. Over time water and condensate built up in them and they must be recharged. First turn off the house at the main house shut off valve. Then open hot and cold faucets at the farthest bathroom to prevent air lock.(This is important.) You will find under each fixture little brass or chrome valves. These are called angle stops. With a small pail held under the angle stop to catch the run off look under the handle of the stop and you will see a nut with the stem running through it. This is called the bonnet packing nut. Put your wrench on it and back it off counterclockwise. Now open the stop and remove the stem and washer assembly, The stop will begain to drain. When it has quit draining reassemble the stop and move on to the next one. Do this on each one of your angle stops. There will be six of them in a two bath home. When you are done, close off the faucets you have opened, turn on the water to the house, and give yourself a pat on the back.
    You have just recharged your air chambers and saved yourself a hefty service call bill. Hope this helps you out TOM
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gijoehood
    I was just wondering how i can rememdy hammer lock or airlock? I think that is what it is. I just bought this house that has been sitting for 3 months unoccuppied. I conected my washer and when the washer starts to cycle by pulling water to the unit, i hear this bang evertime it purges water. How do i fix this problem?
    It sounds like you need to install Sioux Chief 660-H's on the washer feeds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water hammer/Air Lock Problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, When ever I turn on my hot water (basin) for the very first time for the day, there is no banging noise. However, after a few minutes after hot water is flushed out, when I try to turn on the hot water again, there is a loud banging noise. This only happens to my hot water and not the...

Key Lock? [ 5 Answers ]

I must have locked my keyboard, or half of my keyboard? The letters on the left hand side of the notepad will type correctly however; the right side is number locked? For ex: when I try to type uiop I get 456* (How do I disable this?) thanks

Computer Lock-up [ 2 Answers ]

I am having difficulties with internet explorer 7 locking up while on the internet. Any suggestions what to do?

Lock properties [ 2 Answers ]

Sir, Would u say the msdos command to lock the properties option in pop up menu

View more questions Search