Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brentleew Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 10:39 PM
    Grounding a boost water pump
    Hi all,
    I would like some advice on grounding a water boost pump. It is 750 ft down the hill from the house and a conduit is installed to supply power to it. It is 220 volt single phase 1/2 horse 6.5 amps. Is grounding accomplished by an EGC from the main panel or can the pump be grounded only by a grounding rod at the pump location. We planned on 10 ga. THHN but weren't sure about the ground wire. Thanks -
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2007, 03:35 AM
    No ground rod, earth is not to be used as an equipment ground, pull a green wire along with the feeders. I would be using all #8 copper wire for all three conductors.
    Brentleew Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    No ground rod, earth is not to be used as an equipment ground, pull a green wire along with the feeders. I would be using all #8 copper wire for all three conductors.
    Also, is a service disconnect required at the lower pump site?
    We're set up to mount one at the upper panel location where a second pump is installed if it can be located that far away.
    Thanks, Brent
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2007, 01:56 PM
    Yes a service switch is needed, to allow maintenance work and keep the switch in sight of or be able Lockout/Tagout of the switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

How do you get water from a shallow well when pump will not suck water. [ 3 Answers ]

I have sunk a shallow well, (it does have water). I purchased a new pump. The pump does not suck water. I have primed the pump several times it does not want to suck water from the well. What do I need to do to obtain water.

AC Water Pump not sending water through tubing [ 1 Answers ]

My house is a ranch house with no basement. We have a forced air/central air conditioning system. There is a pump that is suppose to pump the water through a plastic tubing in to our laundry tub. The water does have to go up to the ceiling of the room and across a wall and then down into our...

Water pressure boost [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone suggest a wway to boost water pressure for a house on a well. We have a ozone water treatment system for the whole house which removes all the iron from the water. This is a commercial size unit and is capable of treating 20 gpm and is also used to treat our sprinkler water. It does...

View more questions Search