Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ohio_Remodeler Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 09:08 PM
    Radiator Pipe Steam Leak
    I have discovered a leak in an 80 year old steam radiator system. The pipe shown is 4" diameter cast iron that holds steam. It is below the floor and there is dirt below the pipe. It leaks at the seams where the old is attached to the new.

It looks to me like someone cut out a section of the cast iron and attempted to patch this a few years and did not do a good job. If I dig around this and pack a ton of bondo around the seams, will that solve the steam leak?

If not and I have to cut the cast iron, how do I attach the middle section to the old pipe? Do you weld it? If I have to weld it, how do I weld beneath the pipe?

Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images

hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 06:36 AM
    Your system is probably low pressure steam but I would check that to be sure. It is leaking for a reason and bondo will only hold for awhile until it rusts next to it.

The pipe should actually be replaced with black iron screw pipe unless you can find one of the adapters from years ago or you can try to piece and weld but good luck with that one.

We only replaced the pipe at our shop because we could never guarantee a weld on this cast iron.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2007, 07:03 AM
    I agree this is a tough problem. Maybe repost to plumbing. Some of them may have a trick. Otherwise, I am afraid the only long term fix may be to dig out enough room to weld in a new piece of cast with rod meant for cast.
    Ohio_Remodeler Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I agree that unscrewing and replacing the piece would be best, but the piping is so old that unscrewing the pipe is near impossible. I will repost to plumbing to see if they have any ideas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Steam Heat radiator clogg. [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Steam Heat system, one radiator will not heat up fully, only the right half gets hot, the release valve is on the left half. If I unscrew the valve during heating, pressure is released. Why would only half work? If it was clogged, wouldn't steam NOT come out of the release valve? ...

Steam pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I am renovating my bathroom , expanding it , it was 5ft x 4ft knock out a closet to expand it to 8ft x5ft. In the middle of the floor is a 2inch steam pipe that needs to move closer to the wall , can the pipe be cut and moved and reattached with some kind of clamp of some sought or does it have to...

Raise steam radiator fittings? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently bought an old Colonial style home that has steam radiators. I put down new hardwood floors throughout as the original floors had been refinished so many times they were needing replacement. Since the new floor is 3/4 inch thick the steam radiators no longer couple with...

Leak from Steam unit [ 1 Answers ]

We recently remodeled and had a steam shower added to our master bath. The steam generator plumbing leaked and it appears to have seeped on top of the sub floor and underneath the tile about 10 feet. The water to the stam generator has been turned off, but there is still water seeping between the...

View more questions Search