Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eyw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2005, 03:50 PM
    Questions on wiring up a Leviton PR180 Motion Activated Switch
    Newbie here - hopefully you guys can give me some help on a wiring question.

I have two boxes - box 1, which is where I would like to put the PR180, has the following wires: Hot, Traveler A and Traveler B.

Box 2, which is where the normal 3-way switch is, has Traveler A, Traveler B and what I believe is the Load wire.

Looking at Leviton's wiring diagram, they have the PR180 wired such that it is connected to the Load.

Is it possible to wire it in the scheme that I have described above and how would the wires be connected?

Thanks!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2005, 06:54 AM
    If I understand what you want to do, is to reverse the location of the sensor and the 3 way switch, opposite the diagram by Leviton, due to your particular situation.

Leviton does not offer a wiring diagram for your situation, and the PR180 must be wired as published. You may try call Leviton Tech support to explain what you want to do and if they have a method of wiring for your arrangement.

Go to: http://www.leviton.com/sections/techsupp/techindx.htm

You can call in the US 1-800-824-3005
    Mon.-Fri. 8:30AM to 7:30PM ET
    Or Email Tech Support

I have called them several times before, and they do respond and are as helpful as possible.

I suspect that they will decline to offer a method to use the PR180 for your situation and offer that you must use two of their #ODS10, which is rated 800 watts, or the OSD15 rated for 1800 watts, sensors in place of both of your 3 way switches.

My thinking is it would be better to have two sensors so each sensor will sense occupancy either way someone enters the room/area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring Leviton 3 way motion sensor switches [ 17 Answers ]

Have done a search and found another post with the same question, but no info on the reslution of the problem. I put in a stairwell to the basement with a landing and 90 deg turn. I have installed a light fixture above the landing to light the stair well and want to control it with motion...

How to wire a Leviton PR180 [ 27 Answers ]

Hello, I purchased the Leviton PR180 to wire into a 3-way switch installation. My setup is exactly like the wiring diagram in the instructions, but I cannot get the #1 switch (original 3 way switch) to turn the lights on after the motion detector has timed out and turned off the lights. I...

Replace 3 way switch with motion 3 way [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I have a 3 way switch setup today that works and I now want to replace one of the switches with a motion sensor. I purchased the Levition PR180 to do the job. (at least it says is can). The setup I have current is 1st box - power comes in Light fixture is attached ...

Motion sensors on 3 way switch [ 5 Answers ]

First I apologize for my terminology. I have a switch a the bottom of the stairs and one at the top of the stairs. They both control the same light fixture. I think this is called a 3 way switch? My real question: I bought 2 levition motion switches that state they work with 3 way switches. The...

View more questions Search