Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jasmine_rezzag Posts: 191, Reputation: 10

Dec 11, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Why it is so hard to make friends during work?
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :( why it is so hard to make friends during work?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2007, 08:39 PM
    For some people work is work. Not socialization time, not a place to make friends, not a place to chit chat, just work. There is no reason to be unfriendly at work but there is a caveat in becoming more of a friend than a co-worker. Just read on the Help Desk about people who struck up friendships or relationships from work and the disasters that ensued. Mixing personal lives and professional lives sadly does not always come out okay.

So perhaps some people are more cautious, more private, and just keep to their duties. It sure is a way to keep out of any trouble.

That is just my opinion.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 11, 2007, 08:47 PM
    I've been at the same public library for 23 years. I wish I had a dollar for every coworker who quit but said, "I'll stay in touch." It never happened. That person went off to college or got another job or had a baby and was never heard from again.

The workplace is fine for on-site camaraderie, but usually not for friendships and definitely not for relationships.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 11, 2007, 08:51 PM
    IT varies, in some places workers are completing against each other, also seldom do you go out for social activities. And many times there is no common interest except work, not similar hobbies, backgrounds and so on
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 22, 2007, 10:38 PM
    Most people would rather use you to make themselves look good by making you look bad. Bosses like that. Some are afraid you'll do better than them, bosses like that too.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2007, 11:30 PM
    Getting to chummy hurts the way you would deal with a problem or a lazy employee. If I keep things on a business level.. It makes these problems easier to deal with. I say this from an employee's view as well as the view point of someone that is in charge of a company for an extended amount of time each week. I also do not want to be to chummy with my boss/owner, I do my job and do it well, that is all that is needed from me. But I could be replaced tomorrow. That way no hurt feelings/expectations if everyone knows where they stand.
    syncrystal_84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 12:07 AM
    I think perhaps you may be looking for friends in the wrong places. I recently learned that making friends at work isn't a good idea, and just because you click with someone at work doesn't mean that they are going to want to be friends with you outside the workplace. I know that's harsh, but please keep in mind that I just learned this reality myself.

Work is a place to work and network so that if you chose to move on and advance your career, you have a good reference and names to help you on the way. But work isn't a place to specifically go to and make friends. If you happen to leave an employer and make a friend from there great, but the difference is you no longer work there, so it doesn't even matter.

Sometimes we also mistakenly look to work to fulfill some other need we may have. I've learned that the only needs work can fulfill for me are my career aspirations and experience needs. But not friends. At work, I do chat yes, and I do have conversations with my coworkers, we all have to get along and not be robots (and we are also human), but when it comes to great extensive details about my life, I keep it at a minimum. If I need to go into details for any reason, the only person who needs to know is my supervisor, but that doesn't mean I get chummy with him.

I agree with what other posters have said. Work is for work and being professional and networking for future potential prospects in your career, but not friends. Like me, you also need to look elsewhere to fulfill your friendship and social needs.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 12:15 AM
    The best friends I made at work were people who would meet with me outside work...

Hang at the patio bar on a nice summer night.

Work time was filled with chores and duties... but maybe if you can get a few people together to head out for a TGIF couple of hours, it can change the mood.

Also, going out to lunch with a coworker was a good way to get to know people.

Just a few ideas.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 12:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    Most people would rather use you to make themselves look good by making you look bad. Bosses like that. Some are afraid you'll do better than them, bosses like that too.

SO VERY TRUE of a lot of co-workers... and with friends like that, who needs enemies!
    firstlady13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2013, 12:25 PM
    I have two co-workers that feeds off each other. They are both chummy with the boss. One of them is witty and knows everything while the other one wants to take charge and is loud a very attention seeker. She even acts as if she's the boss. They are friends with the boss at work plus they all talk about each other behind each other's back. I do not like this atmosphere. I'm the secretary and I think the loud one wants my spot. I am very good at my job. I try to avoid this but it's impossible considering I'm in the office with two of them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I can't make new friends [ 3 Answers ]

OK ill give you a bit of a background before I get started (sorry if this is long) I'm an 18 year old male in england. I am from a single parent family, I'm an only child, dad left me before being born, step dad beat me around the age of 5 and I now have a new step dad who I consider my dad. Ive...

How do I make friends? [ 2 Answers ]

I have friends but I don't have enough friends at my school and I hate my school allot and it's really hard for me to make friends because I am really shy around new people and I don't really talk.I feel really stupid asking this question.Most of my friends I have were online @ the chat rooms.My...

How to make friends [ 13 Answers ]

What is a good way to make friends. I am shy when I first meet people. I am a 15 year old guy. When I do finally talk I act stupid a lot. I do not have any friends really because I use to have to drive a hour to school every day. My mom was always late so I would never get home until 10:00pm every...

How do you make new friends? [ 11 Answers ]

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make new friends. Maybe it's a lack of 30 something's that live in my area but I've tried posting on a local website and all that got me was foreigners wanting more than friendship and 20 something year olds... how do you make new friends of your own age?...

Will my cat be able to make new friends? [ 2 Answers ]

I found my cat about a year ago on the side of the road, barely 4 weeks old. He slept in the nape of my neck for the first few months and the first time he was brave enough to venture outside of my bedroom to the rest of the house, he was about 2 months old. He grew up in my mom's house (I live...

View more questions Search