Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maddjaxxx Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2005, 10:13 AM
    Eew Sewage In Basement Shower Stall
    I bought a house last year. Today i discovered sewage from the upstairs toilet in the downstairs shower stall. What caused this and what do i do now. Please help:confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 17, 2005, 12:26 PM
    Hey Jax,

Are you on city sewer or a septic tank? If you're on a septic tank it may need to be pumped. You have a blockage downstream from the shower stall and you will have to plnpoint exactly where it is, out in the sewer line or in the house. How you do this is open up the clean out,( every house has one) and flush the toilet a few times. If water comes up out of the cleanout then the problem's outside the house in the sewer line, but if water comes up in the shower then the clog is in the house and the lavatory vent for the downstairs bathroom has to be snaked out. Good luck, Tom
    maddjaxxx Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2005, 02:09 PM
    Tom
    Thank you. I have a city sewer system. Its below freezing here so I don't know how the water is flowing.Is there any way to know without creating more of a mess? I have asked a few people locally and they say its common around here for the sewer line to be clogged from the house to the street and it backs up whenever you flush and the waste goes no where. I guess I will have to call r router. They will love me on a Saturday just before xmas.
    maddjaxxx:( :eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repairing a basement stall shower [ 2 Answers ]

There is an existing stall shower in the basement, however it isn't hooked up anymore. I want to fix it up and get it going, but I have never done anything like this before... any suggestions?

Installing a Basement Shower Stall [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have a finished basement. There is an old double porcelain sink and on the opposite wall a toilet which is in front of the old cast iron lead joined main drain. I would like to install a sink and shower in the bathroom. I had a plumber look at it and he...

Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo. [ 4 Answers ]

Question: Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub. After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet. We will have to reduce the drain line...

Basement Sewage odor [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Sorry if my question is redundant, but I searched the posts and couldn't quite find one that met the same situation I have encountered. My wife and I recently bought a home that was built 3 years ago. It has 3 bathrooms, one being in the basement. The problem we have noticed is a...

Help with sewage smelling basement! [ 7 Answers ]

Thanks for any input. Let me begin by saying I know NOTHING about the plumbing in my 100+ yr old home so let me provide you with some information. I have a stone block foundation that has leaked since the day I moved in so I'm not a stranger to seepage in my basement. Lately though ANY time I...

View more questions Search