Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anjalil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 04:33 PM
    alarm goes off but not because of smoke
    the smoke detector alarm goes off but its not because of smoke. What could be the other probable reasons? Is condensation a probability? Is getting a central humidifier going to solve the problem? What would be a good route to take?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 11, 2007, 04:38 PM
    I had this problem last year... have you changed the batteries recently?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Is it a photoelectric or ionization type?
    pelle Posts: 96, Reputation: 0

Dec 12, 2007, 06:34 PM
    How old is the alarm? They do go bad regardless of how well they are cleaned and maintained..
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2007, 07:32 AM
    I had a problem with a central system at a hotel I worked for(Imagine that in a full scale hotel,, ugggh)

We found spiders in the individual smoke detectors, as well as dust etc,as pelle stated maintenance (compressed air used to clean computer keyboards) and as J-9 said, battery changes do a lot for the protection and proper operation of the systems.

Ken
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 30, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Go back and answer the question KISS posed. Is this smoke only or is it also a carbon monoxide detector too?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Rather than wait for an answer you may not have, some ''smoke'' detectors also or really detect the ions given off by combustion. The heat exchanger in your furnace could be allowing not only ions, but CO to leak into your house. This is a serious problem. I would take a good look at your furnace and maybe invite a professional to have a look.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smoke alarm [ 3 Answers ]

How come my hardwired smoke alarms are chirping?

99 degrees outside Smoke alarm went off today [ 7 Answers ]

I was finished taking a shower downstairs and my upstairs smoke alarm went off. It is located directly under the hatch that leads to the roof. I put the exhaust fan on in the bathroom, and nothing happened. It was 74 degreess in the house and about 99 degrees outside. When I opened the roof...

What is the phyics behine a smoke alarm? [ 2 Answers ]

What is the phyics behine a smoke alarm?

Smoke Alarm [ 1 Answers ]

We have a smoke alarm direct wired into the house. It continues to chirp periodically. What causes this and how can we make it stop? Its wired not battery operated so its not a dead battery. Thanks, Eric

Removing hard wired smoke alarm [ 2 Answers ]

Mcsteph here again. I wish to remove a hard wired smoke detector but cannot find the fuse that switches it off. Is there a fuse or is it always on? Either way, how do I remove it without smelling like burnt pork? TKRussell? anyone?:confused:

View more questions Search