Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 11, 2007, 02:06 PM
    McAfee saying computer not fully protected
    Its installed and registered. It seems to be working fine at making sure to warn me about things it doesn't recognize and blocking them when asked to. But every once in a while this message bubble pops up that says"your computer is not fully protected" so I click on it and it pops up the security center. Its saying that my files and email are not protected. I have clicked on the fix link 2399403 times and it says everything is updated. I am still continuing to get this message and still it says they are unprotected. Can anyone help figure this out?
    c_starrs Posts: 64, Reputation: 5

Dec 24, 2007, 06:36 PM
    Well, first of all you should be hit over the head with a christmas tree for using McAfee, but as with your problem, this is cause by McAfee's odd set up where it installs each module of the program individually, this often results in errors... download this to remove it completely, and reinstall.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2007, 08:13 PM
    I don't know whether this is your answer but very often you install a free trial

There may be a set trial period for a full version --or limited use of full version

As long as that product is on your computer they can popup various types of

Adware to convince you to buy their products -- they do nothing - they sell nothing

If they can convince you that you have problems--they can sell you their wares

Dec 31, 2007, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by c_starrs
    Well, first of all you should be hit over the head with a christmas tree for using McAfee, but as with your problem, this is cause by McAfee's odd set up where it installs each module of the program individually, this often results in errors... download this to remove it completely, and reinstall.
    Lol. Actually my dad installed it. I've tried and my brother has tried telling him to remove it, but he paid for it and kind of wants to blame everything but McAfee. I've noticed a huge slow down ever since he installed the thing. He went in and deleted a bunch of programs from the computers thinking that was what was going on and its still very slow. The guy is stubborn. My brother got blocked out of the internet all together. McAfee said it was a virus.

Dec 31, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by biggsie
    I don't know whether this is your answer but very often you install a free trial

there may be a set trial period for a full version --or limited use of full version

As long as that product is on your computer they can popup various types of

adware to convince you to buy their products -- they do nothing - they sell nothing

If they can convince you that you have problems--they can sell you their wares
    You could be right about them trying to convince me of a problem. Of course it is paid for, but I checked and it shows everything in the protection as being enabled while in the update center it continues to say "not protected" no matter what I do. So maybe they want something else paid for.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 12:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nymphetamine
    its installed and registered. it seems to be working fine at making sure to warn me about things it doesn't recognize and blocking them when asked to. but every once in a while this message bubble pops up that says"your computer is not fully protected" so i click on it and it pops up the security center. Its saying that my files and email are not protected. I have clicked on the fix link 2399403 times and it says everything is updated. I am still continuing to get this message and still it says they are unprotected. Can anyone help figure this out?
    I have your answer, McAfee sucks! It'll keep telling you that until you buy all their products.

If you must use McAfee, download McAfee AntiVirus Enterprise, it's a smaller and less pretty version of what you have, and it doesn't have that annoying alert. This is what I use and it is much better.
    anthony1981 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 10:50 PM
    I have this same problem. It didn't start happening until I got hit with the windows protections suite virus and cleaned the virus and went to a restore point. I think that the virus is still trying to disable my antivirus software like every half hour or so
    moque Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2009, 10:03 AM

Its simple, keep dad out of it, let him know you love him, then move forward. Download a program called malwarebytes found at Malwarebytes.org your present av is a dog, try to download and install panda AV it has a very low foot print on your system. Malwarebytes is kind of like spybot, or adware, but better. That should help you out
    1ghost1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2010, 01:44 PM

This problem is happening to a lot of people yet for some reason McAfee reps will tell you that it isn't. That's bs there's bog after blog of people with this complaint. Second the person that said she should be hit over the head with a Xmas tree for using McAfee needs to be smothered with a snowball. I went from McAfee to Norton,then some of the free antivi's which didn't necessarily work any better even though people said they were great. Then used Norton again for a long time before it went down the toilet with regular issues & am back to McAfee. I've not had any problems with McAfee.. knock on wood, My husband & I have the free vs. through Comcast because we wanted to try it after Norton turned into a waste of money & we've had no problems with it. But my mother in law purch. Her vs of McAfee & she is recently having the same problems as others are with it telling her she's not protected then it won't fix when the 'fix' button is clicked. McAfee does know about the problem & are supposedly working on a fix. Uninstalling & reinstalling antivi software does not always work. What I've been reading some people it works for others it doesn't. I'm letting people know that people with this unprotected message that it isn't caused by a virus on their computer. But not to assume they don't have one, but rather check it out since their antivi maybe isn't working properly.
    Bertie78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2010, 07:35 PM
    That's all sooo helpful, guys!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Uninstall mcafee for free [ 1 Answers ]

I've tried calling them, they charge $1.95 a minute and I also got the run around. Tried add/remove programs and it said you had to remove all the components 1st. How am I supposed to know what the friggin components are? How can I remove this computer boggin, pop up every 5 second, always...

McAfee Items detected? [ 1 Answers ]

What are "items detected" in McAfee's security center

Latest mcafee security [ 1 Answers ]

When I run a scan with mcafee, I keep items detected in it like 20 items, 25, etc. I use to get 0 all the time with the old mcafee. Are these items detected viruses or cookies etc? Thanks guys. It seems I couldn't have that many viruses

View more questions Search