Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frangord Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 01:40 PM
    Outdoor wiring system
    I wish to light a trail 400' long. It will require 6 100watt lights and the ability to support a small 450-750 watt heater at the end of the run. I of course want to do this in the most economical fashion. I'm a doit yourselver and do not intend to have it inspected. I intend to do an areial rathter than burial system.

(1) what type of wire can I use. I was thinking of outdoor 12/3 uf wire or 12/3 cabtire. Do you have any suggestions?

(2) will 12/3 wire support 6 100watt bulbs and a small heater at the end of 400'

Thanks gord
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2007, 03:07 PM
    If economical means practical,effective, and safe I would use #4 aluminum triplex cable, 3 wire, with 2 insulated and one bare ACSR (Aluminum Conductor Steel Reinforced), the same as the utility company uses to feed a home overhead.

Any smaller wire will reduce the performance and effectiveness of incandescent lamps and a resistance heater, but will not cause any harm. Any motors will be greatly affected and damaged by excessive voltage drop.

The ACSR acts as the required steel messenger cable, and will act as the equipment ground.

Use the two insulated as the hot and neutral.

Once should already be identified by markings or ribs in the insulation, use this one as the neutral, and mark with white tape at each junction, outlet, or light fixture.

#4 is the size calculated to give a reasonable and acceptable amount of voltage drop at the end of a 400 foot run.

Using trees or any vegetation as support of cabling is not allowed by national electric codes, so having it inspected is out of the question. Here you take your own risk.

If this will be exposed to the public, serious consideration will be needed not doing this to code.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troubleshooting split system outdoor ac unitt [ 3 Answers ]

My outdoor unit works occasionally, you can turn it on at the thermostat, after about ten minutes or longer it will kick on, after it has reached the desired tempurture, in the house the ac unit will kick off and not work for a couple days or longer no matter how many times you turn the thermostat...

Outdoor wiring problem [ 7 Answers ]

I plan to run power to my boat dock from my house. I will have two three way switches in the circuit so I can turn it on either from the dock or the house. The switches will control a light and a receptacle on the dock. I plan to use an underground type wire with three wires between the two...

Outdoor wiring [ 1 Answers ]

What gauge wire should I use outdoors to install permanent electric boxes for a run of about 100 feet? The electric boxes would be for the use of Christmas lights and sidewalk security lights.

Sealing off outdoor wiring. [ 1 Answers ]

I have been trying to obtain a lantern to replace the existing, rusting, one. Problem is that all available ones are made with the lighting section above the fixing, whereas he existing one is below. This means that the light will be too high above the door. I suppose I could replace with a...

Outdoor wiring for pool [ 2 Answers ]

We are thinking of getting a pool for the yard, the pool place said you can't use extension chrods and the best bet is to have a electrican come in and build a trench out side and run the wires underground. I have no clue what so ever about wiring. Does anyone have any idea how much that might...

View more questions Search