Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shawnda Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 11:59 AM
    How can I get a copy of last years tax returns info ?
    I moved since taxes last year and can't seem to find a copy of them... I need it for my college paperwork. Can you tell me where I can get it quickly?? Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 11, 2007, 01:48 PM
    First, call the tax professional who prepared the return. He/she can print you a copy and either fax, email or mail it to you. Expect to pay a small $5-$10 handling fee.

If you did not use a tax pro, then access the IRS website at Internal Revenue Service to get their 1-800 number.

Call and ask them to fax or email you a copy of your tax transcript; there is NO CHARGE for this service.

The college will take a copy of the tax transcript instead of the tax return itself.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 11, 2007, 05:08 PM
    And you can walk into the IRS office and get it, I could not find one of my last 4 years, so I went into the IRS office and in 5 min walked out with a copy of mine.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 01:23 AM
    Normally, for most of the requirements your purpose is served if you ask IRS for Transcripts instead of your tax return. You can order a transcript by calling 1-800-829-1040, or using Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return. There is no fee for a transcript. Transcripts have most of the information from your tax return including information from W2, 1099.

If you want copy of your return, then use Form 4506 is Request for Copy of Tax Return. You will get copy of tax return filed by you along with all the attachments (like W2, 1099.. ). For each return the charges are $39 and IRS takes about 60 days to complete your request. In the Form 4506 you can also authorize a third party to receive the return.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 09:26 AM
    MukatA's explanation goes into much greater and better detail than mine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hi. I am a 36 years old female and has been seeing a man for 3 years we have been fri [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. I am a 36 years old female and has been seeing a man for 3 years we have been friends since I was 17 and about 3 years ago that grew into something more. He is everything to me my best friend my lover and my partner. There is no one I would like to spend my time with except for him. He is 56...

Another copy of my W2 [ 4 Answers ]

Help please. Where can I get another of my 2006 w2? I need to send it to my mortgage company and I misplaced my copy. I need it asap. If you know how I can get it for free online let me know. Can I get it faxed to me or faxed directly to my mortgage company. Any help on this would be greatly...

SS Disabililty Benefits-Tax Returns Not Filed In Recent Years [ 1 Answers ]

I have friend who has inoperable cancer and there are no treatment options that will offer a cure. He has been self-employed for quite a number of years and is presently only working part-time. He has paid into Social Security over past years and has enough credits to receive disability benefits,...

Can you file joint Federal returns and separate State Tax Returns [ 1 Answers ]

We lived in different cities so can we file joint federal returns and separate state returns??

Lp copy [ 4 Answers ]

Very very new to computing(middle age tecno fear)and need help .how do I copy all my all LP records onto my computer and then on to cd what hardware software would I need , any help would be great Thanks

View more questions Search