Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    retailgirl43 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2005, 09:23 PM
    Work/labor laws
    Can a company legally work and employee 26 days straight with no time off?:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2005, 09:54 PM
    Time off
    They have to let them have breaks after 4 hours work and lunch time off.

Also depending on the state you work in, various states have laws on labor.

But in general, yes, getting weekends off is not a right.
    Now employees get burnt out after about 2 weeks straight but many jobs have all sorts of rules, I have had to do almost 36 hours straight before when I was a police officer because of emergancy. And then got less than 7 hours rest and back on duty. And did that for about 3 weeks straight.

At this point and time with all the people out of work, be glad to have the job
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2005, 09:56 PM
    I am inclined to say NO.

Here in Canada the laws says you can only work a maximum of 5 days in a week (So that is, 10 days straight maximum in a row). US and Canadian law is mostly similar.

However, it also depends on what job you do. In cases of emergency, laws have clauses to allow an emloyee to work more.

Assuming there is no emergency in your case, then you shouldn't have to work 26 straight days without consenting to it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 16, 2005, 11:09 PM
    Retail girl43
    Can you file for overtime after so many hours in a week?:cool:
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2005, 06:32 AM
    Companies
    Hi,
    In the US, companies can generally require you to legally work any hours they want to; but have to pay overtime after 40 hours in one week.
    They can do as you asked, legally.
    With more and more companies looking at the bottom line; money and profits; they are cutting back on employees, and working "to death" the employees left. Not all do this, but it has become a trend.
    If you are working 26 days straight, then I personally, would be looking for another job, if you have qualifications for any other jobs. I do wish you good luck.

Dec 18, 2005, 07:37 PM
    Thanks for the replys
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    they have to let them have breaks after 4 hours work and lunch time off.

Also depending on the state you work in, various states have laws on labor.

But in general, yes, getting weekends off is not a right.
    Now employees get burnt out after about 2 weeks straight but many jobs have all sorts of rules, I have had to do almost 36 hours straight before when I was a police officer because of emergancy. And then got less than 7 hours rest and back on duty. and did that for about 3 weeks straight.

At this point and time with all the people out of work, be glad to have the job
    I was actually looking for a friend who does not have access to a computer. But I did tell him if I saw something that might help him I'd tell him. He has been with this company for over 20 years if not 20 years. He doesn't want to ruffel feathers for if he does they could make it rough on him. But he has a Union in his workplace to back him up. I personally think it stinks. Why kill yourself at a job cause places are to cheap to hire more.

Dec 18, 2005, 07:42 PM
    Thanks for the information
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    In the US, companies can generally require you to legally work any hours they want to; but have to pay overtime after 40 hours in one week.
    They can do as you asked, legally.
    With more and more companies looking at the bottom line; money and profits; they are cutting back on employees, and working "to death" the employees left. Not all do this, but it has become a trend.
    If you are working 26 days straight, then I personally, would be looking for another job, if you have qualifications for any other jobs. I do wish you good luck.
    I was actually looking for a friend who does not have access to a computer. But I did tell him if I saw something that might help him I'd tell him. He has been with this company for over 20 years if not 20 years. He doesn't want to ruffel feathers for if he does they could make it rough on him. But he has a Union in his workplace to back him up. I personally think it stinks. Why kill yourself at a job cause places are to cheap to hire more people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pre labor/False labor [ 4 Answers ]

Ok odd question. How long can pre labor last? I have been having contractions since Sunday and they don't get any closer and/or change in intesity. I was just wondering since even with two previous births I have never before experienced this. I don't even know if it is pre labor or not. I just...

Cat In Labor [ 5 Answers ]

How long does it last from the time the cat starts contractions to the time they give birth to the first kitten?

Labor law in pa [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know if a 17 year old can be hired to be a grounds keeper at a business. He will be running lawn tractors/weed eaters/and snow plows

Is my cat in labor? [ 2 Answers ]

My friend has a cat who is very pregnant. She doesn't know when exactly she became pregnant but thinks it might be around Oct. 5. The kittens are moving continuously right now and the mom to be is very gassy and not too interested in eating. She always wants to lay down next to my friend and be...

View more questions Search