Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catholicgirl Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2005, 04:39 PM
    Grandparent Rights
    I mistakenly posted this in the wrong section.

Do grandparents have any legal ability to petition for visitation rights with their grandbaby if the baby's parents are married to each other and agree they do not want grandparents having access to the child?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2005, 06:14 PM
    Unfortunately they do not.

That is, provided that the parents aren’t abusing the child or anything crazy like that.

But if their only fault is not letting the grandparents see the kid, there is nothing that can be done.

The grandparents can cut the parent out of their will, but other than that, nothing really.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 16, 2005, 07:23 PM
    Well that answers a question for me. I was always told they could. I don't want my exhusbands parents near my children for very good reasons. Their well being would be compromised if I was forced to have them around those people. I will move to Alaska before that happens.

Dec 16, 2005, 07:38 PM
    Well that answers a question for me. I was always told they could. I don't want my exhusbands parents near my children for very good reasons. Their well being would be compromised if I was forced to have them around those people. I will move to Alaska before that happens.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2005, 09:03 PM
    Crankiebabie, I was answering catholicgirl in response to the parents being married to each other.

However, in the case where the parents are divorced, the waters become much more murky and uncertain. So in your case, they potentially could get some form of custody. Of course, potentially, doesn't meant they would, it just means they have some sort of shot if they tried.

Dec 16, 2005, 09:13 PM
    I managed to post twice. Go figure. Well,Alaska looks pretty nice this time of year.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 16, 2005, 09:56 PM
    Rights
    It will vary greatly from state to state.

And the worst situation will be if the grandchildren live out of state.
    The state of residence will seldom honor an out of state visitation rights
    ( lived though that in a nightmare in Texas before)

Next even if the court grants it, but the person with custody does not wish to allow it, don't count on the court having much inforcement.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2005, 05:32 AM
    Grandparents
    Hi, catholicgirl,
    As another stated; no, grandparents don't have legal rights when it comes to their grandchildren; only the parents themselves.
    It must be a pretty bad situation for any parent not wanting their child to see their grandparents. Children need their parents, as well as other members of their family, but I'm sure this is an "extreme" situation.
    I do wish them the best of luck.
    catholicgirl Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2005, 05:51 PM
    Actually, you would be right that the grandparents in question are very difficult people. One in particular is not diagnosed but her behavior indicates she has Borderline Personality Disorder. Highly manipulative, exists in a world of heroes and villains and it changes arbitrarily from day to day. She comes up with wild theories and believes her perception to be absolute Gospel truth. Everyone caters to her version of events so as to not set her off, but really it only contributes to her fantasy world.

The child in question is as yet unborn, but the parents are seeking to be sure they are safe in retaining the ability to set boundaries and not allow grandparent visitation for the baby on the way. In the past, other grandchildren have been used as pawns and the parents don't want to see this happen to their baby.

Thank you for the information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Biological grandparent [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering if there was anything that I could do to find out who my mothers mother is... and on that note try and track down my father. My bio grandmothers name is Virginia Kimble... not sure of the spelling. As far as I've been told her family resided in or near Newport, Or. My mother was...

Father's rights [ 8 Answers ]

I have a five year old daughter. Her father was a registered sex offender (I did not know)and left for AK when she was born. I made it clear I wanted nothing to do with him. I have not seen or heard from him in over four years. He knew about his daughter but to my knolwledge has never tried to find...

Grandparent Rights [ 1 Answers ]

Do grandparents have any legal right to petition for visitation rights if both parents of the baby are married to each other and do not wish a grandparent to have access to the baby?

Trying to find Birth Record of Father in France and Death Certificates of Grandparent [ 2 Answers ]

My father was born in Marseilles, France in 1911. He came to America in the 1930's. He received word his father, mother, sister and brother were killed During a bombing in World War II. They lived in Alsace Lorraine. My father Tried for two years to find any information on their deaths, but...

View more questions Search