Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    d8ncer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 09:47 PM
    Roommate who is not on my lease, unstable, not paying rent, won't leave
    Hi, This is my first time using this site. I feel a bit trapped right now and not sure what my rights are. I live in Florida and I rent an apartment where I'm the sole lessee. I was in a bit of a tight spot financially and needed a room mate so a friend of mine moved in. He was in a tight spot financially as well and I knew he couldn't get approval from the leasing office to move in. Being the trusting person that I am I allowed him to move in without siging the lease and no formal paperwork. After three months things became intolerable. He has become unstable, threatening and volatile so I asked him to move out. He is refusing to move out. He has not paid me any rent or utilities (and has also racked up $120renting movies of explicit nature on my comcast bill with no intention of paying me back). I really just want him out. At this point I'm concerned he's going to get me in trouble financially or legally (he also brings things of an illegal nature into my home despite the fact that I've asked him repeatedly not to.) Any advice? I think I can file an eviction notice but how long will that take? Do I file it for non-payment (even though we have no written payment/lease paperwork)? What if he miraculously decides to pay me? Can I still make him leave? I feel threatened by this man on a number of different levels. Appreciate any insight.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 10:02 PM
    I would make a point to have a talk with your local police about the issue without the other party knowing about it. That way, you can find out your rights as they see it. You should not have to feel under any threat in your own home. I don't know if the guy would retaliate against you or something later on or not. Will you have to associate with him in other ways such as at work or school?

Have you considered putting some money up to help entice him to move out? I know it would be costly to you, but if you consider it an expensive lesson learned, then it might be worth it.
    Marshall69 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 12:09 AM
    At this point you may HAVE to get your landlord involved. OR simply start packing his belongings and tell him the landlord is on his way over with the authorities to ask him to leave.
    cNyx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 09:38 PM
    For the comcast bill you can set it up to where he has to know your pass words to order anything. As for the illegal things he brings to your home, First talk to your landlord about changing the locks, then talk to the cops in your area tell them that your afraid of him and need a restraining then tell them about the illegal things he's bring in to your home, have him busted and while he's in jail pack his things and throw it out. The police can help you with it more and doing this may be a little unethical but you have to cover your own back. And the restraining order will just send him back to jail if he bothers you. Good luck...
    jfjlive2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 06:14 AM
    I own my own home and currently live in that home. I needed help with my mortgage, so I let my sister and her boyfreind move in without a lease. They are default on rent and are costing me money instead of helping. They have damaged the home and refuse to follow house rules. I want them out! They have been here since October of 2007. How do I get them out?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate never got on lease, now won't leave [ 15 Answers ]

I live in Berks county, PA. My roommate and I agreed to share an apt. beginning Oct. 2006. I signed lease but she needed co-signers to get on the lease and promised that she would. She has since then not gotten on the lease and has become an intolerable, irresponsible and violent roommate. I...

Can a tenant leave without paying rent due? [ 9 Answers ]

Ok, I tried finding the answer to this question, and I can't seem to find anything on this: The situation is that one of our tenants owes a substantial amount of rent, we just got a letter from them saying they want to leave in 30 days and set up a payment plan (they owe a lot of money and...

Lease up, roommate won't leave [ 2 Answers ]

My girlfriend has had a roommate since feb. The roommate won't pay on time ever for rent or utils. He is known to smoke crystal meth in the house etc etc The lease is up next month, she doesn't want he to renew with him, but he won't leave. The apt complex would not likely rent to him due to...

Roommate won't leave. Never paid rent. I own the condo. [ 4 Answers ]

I own two properties and one is being rented out to someone who has never paid me rent. She did me a favor because she is a Real Estate Agent and saved me $2,000. She needed a place to stay, so we worked it out (verbally, no lease singed) that I would not charge her for 4 months rent. Since the...

Roommate not paying rent, but leaving in 3 weeks. [ 3 Answers ]

My roommate is moving out oct 26, 2006 - he is not on the lease, I am, and we have a verbal agreement.. he has been OK up to this point - last month he paid 1/2 his rent and this month he has still not paid. What I am asking is, if he does not pay this months rent, and he is out in 3 weeks...

View more questions Search