Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    muna Posts: 147, Reputation: 5
    -

Dec 10, 2007, 08:31 PM
    How much to tip
    Hello, if you spent #300 at the hair salon that includes buying hair products (shampoo, conditioners, leave in conditioner and hair serum) how much should you tip, I paid the lady her $300 and I forgot to tip and I want to go back tomorrow to give her her tips, I am just not sure how much should I give , may be $10, what do you think?
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Wow, $300 at the salon wish I had money to spend like that!

Either way, a 10 dollar tip is a little more than 3 percent but considering that some of it was just purchasing products, I think it's fair.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 10:21 PM
    You don't tip off the cost of your products, only off the services. If you spent $200 on hair services (cut, color, etc) tip 10% - 20% ($20 to $40), whatever you think is fair. It is not normal or expected to tip for the cost of products.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 10:31 PM
    20% of the services sounds like a good bet. Depending on how you were treated, if you want to go back, and what impression you want to leave... if you are going back, it might seem odd for $10, not that the lady won't appreciate it, but instead I think she should be flattered that you remembered at this busy time of year! You could also use that as your excuse for forgetting... all the hussle and bussle of preparing for the holidays...
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 10:36 PM
    Also, people are usually more generous with tipping during the holiday season. Sometimes people recommend tipping the cost of the cut, but that seems overkill to me. I tip my stylist a steady 10% (every six weeks), and during the holidays increase it to 15% - 20%.
    muna Posts: 147, Reputation: 5
    -

Dec 10, 2007, 10:42 PM
    Believe me charlotte I am mad at that amount as as well because the woman when she was washing my hair all the water went on my back, I have been to other salons and I never got wet and I was sou cold even though she put towels under my shirt, I just thought to do the right thing in spite of how wet I was
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 10:46 PM
    In that case, I don't know that there is a right thing to do! I base my tips on service that I get! In my book tips are for a job well done!
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 10:53 PM
    If you got bad service, you should not tip. In fact, you might want to send an email to the salon manager (or owner if you can) to let them know of your dissatisfaction. Soaking your shirt is the result of the person being careless, and they don't deserve to be rewarded for that.
    humble48 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 11:00 PM
    The standard tip is 15% on services. Not 15% on gathering during a haircut.

You picking up botanicals, hair nets, shampoo, conditioner, perfumes, etc. Is not covered.

You must analyze what they helped you with and those that they did not help you with.

If you have one $300 haircut but picked up everything else yourself. Well, it's a standard 15% on the $300 (which is $45). If the haircut sucked, 10% - $30. If it rocked, like the best you ever had - 20% - $60.

Just my thought.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 11:45 PM
    If I get cruddy service, I don't tip. Tips are to show appreciation for workers who do a good job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search