Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    charlie123 Posts: 93, Reputation: 19

Dec 10, 2007, 08:03 PM
    Flat spot 4-month old infant head - helmet necessary?
    When we took our 2 month old son to his well check-up, it was brought to my
    Attention a 'barely there' flattened area on his head. I was instructed
    To roll a blanket under him while he slept to make him look the other way
    & increase tummy time, etc. I thought it wouldn't be an issue anymore.
    Then last Thursday we went in for his 4 month checkup and she said that
    He would need a helmet - and scheduled us an appt with a Pediatric Plastic
    Surgeon. I was surprised that the appt scheduled is 7 weeks out! I began
    Doing research on the computer about 'plagiocephaly' & came to the
    Conclusion that only in 'severe' cases that a helmet was perscribed. His
    Flattened area is so minor & it is not causing any abnormalities in his
    Face - I believe it will 'round out' over time. His ears, eyes, &
    Everything else is symtrical. I made an appt with a new peditrician to
    Get a second opinion on this Thursday. It's not that I'm against putting
    Him in a helmet - I just think it's not necessary. To say the least I am
    Obsessed & not at all very happy about this helmet business. It seems
    Like the only thing I can talk or think about is 'helmets' - I am driving
    My husband crazy! I think that my peditirican may be getting some kind
    Of kick back from putting these helmets on her patients. She said at
    That last appt that she sent 3 other babies that very day to be fitted
    For one. She also said that they sent a letter out to their patients
    Asking for them to donate their old helmets - so they can be given to new
    Patients. I don't know something just sounds a little fishy to me. I
    Don't want to put my baby in a helmet for 23 and 1/2 hours a day and
    Spend the money if it's not necessary.

The pictures that I saw on the internet looked so scary! - and my son looks absolutely nothing like any of those. Has anyone heard of perscribing these helmets in minor cases? Thanks.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 10, 2007, 09:36 PM
    I would like to help you, but you don't mention (I may have missed it) where the flat spot is. Is it where he lays? Like if you put him to bed on his back for instance?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2007, 11:31 PM
    Where exactly is the flat part. My boy had a flat spot and we had seen a few different doctors about it, and each one said it was fine and not severe enough. It was actually pretty noticeable as well. Sounds like the doctor you have is helmet happy and it is good that your getting a second opinion. Tummy time is important and trying to get your baby to face the other way is important. It is good getting your second opinion. We were actually really concerned about our boy, and we thought he would need a helmet but none of the doctors thought it was necessary. Each situation is different. Please let us know what this second opinion says. Good luck.

Dec 11, 2007, 11:27 AM
    Thank you so much for responding. The flat spot is on the side where he likes to lay facing right. It's barely noticeable - and at his 2 month appt when it was brought to my attention I have been VERY aware of it. I roll a blanket up under him when he sleeps to have him face the other way. We do tummy time for at least an hour a day. He likes his jumper and other activities where his head isn't against anything. I even moved his crib to the other side of the room - to help him want to look the other way. I have even been aware when we put him in his car seat to roll up a little blanket to help him look the other way. To say the least I have been obsessed - and I am driving my husband crazy. We are going to get a second opinion on Thursday - and I can't wait!! Yesterday I cleaned
    The house - and every step I thought 'HELMET, HELMET, HELMET'. When I
    Was cooking supper again 'HELMET, HELMET, HELMET'. When I woke up this
    Morning and my feet hit the floor - 'HELMET, HELMET, HELMET'. So - I
    Just cannot wait till this whole thing is over - HELMET or NO HELMET!! I just can't help but feel that he doesn't need it. I attached a picture (Hope you can see it?) Thanks again!
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 11:43 AM
    I think it is a good idea for the second opinion. Your doctor does sound a bit helmet happy. It seems pretty odd that 4 babies in one day would need to be fitted for one. Does she own stock in the helmet company? (j/k - trying to lighten the mood.)

Don't let it make you crazy. Just remember your baby is healthy and happy.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2007, 12:00 PM
    As long as there is no soft spot or a medical condition of some sort, I don't see what a helmet would do.
    My son Lee has a flat spot on the back left side of his head and the doctors were not concerned at all. He is now 19 years old.
    They said that is just the way the head is formed and the doctors are suppose to 'reshape' it at birth.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 12:01 PM
    My daughter had the "banana" head from being in the birth canal a long time. It rounded out by 4 months, as I recall.

Dec 14, 2007, 03:11 PM
    I wanted everyone to know that we went and got a 2nd opinion yesterday. This new doctor WAS NOT concerned at all about my son's head. She said that she saw where we were talking about - but that it would 'round out' over time. I was so worried! To say the least I am not going back to that other pediatrician anymore. Thank you all for listening to me while I was being such a worry wart!

I learned a big lesson - 'to follow my instincts'! I knew by looking at my son that he didn't a STUPID HELMET!! Thanks again to everyone.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 14, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Flat spots are so very common. I can't believe someone actually suggested a helmet, they are so out of date. These spots do indeed round out.

Glad you saw someone else and got a good outcome.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2007, 05:53 PM
    Happy to hear about the update. Like J9 has said that the flat spots are very common. We went through the same thing. The reason why they are more common now then before is because of the recommendation of having babies lie flat on their back.

Well have fun and enjoy your new baby.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black Spot on head of penis? [ 1 Answers ]

About two weeks ago I got really sharp pains at the top of my penis when I got home I checked it out and there was a black spot very very small. I went tot the doctors and told him about and he had alok he said it was nothing and that it would go away. I have noticed I only get the pain when my...

4 month old grandson has lump on the back of his head [ 3 Answers ]

My 4 month old grandson developed a lump on the back of his head a couple weeks ago now. It was about 1" long and 1/4" wide. It was right in the middle of the back of his head. It is soft, kind of liquidy. It doesn't appear to hurt him at all. My daughter took him to the dr. right away. They...

Black spot on tongue of 8 month old [ 5 Answers ]

My 8 month old daughter has a black spot on the end of her tongue.. does anyone know what this could be caused by? She is currently fighting a cold... could this be associated with the spot?

Little faded black spot on head of penis. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am almost 18 and I have a small black spot on the head of my penis, it does not cause pain or annoy me, I am just slightly worried. It seems to fade but is always there, I have just had a shower and it seems to have faded away a bit but is still there, I do not have baths a lot, and I wanted...

Baby and Flat head [ 5 Answers ]

I am not sure where to ask this question. It is always said to have the baby sleeping on his or her back. Well the baby prefers one side and tends to look to one side. We have tried different things to try to correct this and I know he is only 3 months but it is better to do something now. They...

View more questions Search