Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 07:42 PM
    Can diversity destroy us?
    An interesting article, wonder what your thoughts are?

PJB: Can Diversity Destroy Us?
    Posted by Linda
    By Patrick J. Buchanan

On the Great Seal of the United States, first suggested by the Continental Congress on July 4, 1776, there was to be emblazoned a new motto: “E Pluribus Unum” – “Out of many, one.”

It was in their unity, not their diversity, that the strength of the colonies resided. So Patrick Henry believed, as he declared, “The distinctions between Virginians, Pennsylvanians, New Yorkers and New Englanders are no more. I am not a Virginian, but an American.”

National identity must supersede state identity for America to survive.

Yet it has lately become fashionable to say that America is great not because she is united, but because she is diverse. It is because America is a multicultural, multiracial, multiethnic, multilingual nation that she is a great nation. A corollary is that the more diverse America becomes, the better and greater she becomes.

After the Los Angeles riot of 1992, Vice President Dan Quayle was asked by his Japanese hosts if perhaps America did not suffer from too much diversity. “I begged to differ with my hosts,” Quayle retorted. “I explained that our diversity is our strength.”

And so our rulers, marinated in the myths that we “are a nation of immigrants” and “our diversity is our strength,” continue to embrace mass immigration – the more the better. But are the myths true?

America was settled by colonists from the British Isles. In 1789, two centuries after Jamestown and Plymouth Rock, we were 99 percent Protestant. Until the Irish came in 1845, there was almost no immigration. Even during the Great Wave of 1890-1920, the number of immigrants was a fraction of the 38 million here today. And all had come from Europe. By 1960, we were almost 90 percent European and more than 90 percent Christian – of one nationality, American, one language, English, and one culture.

That America is gone forever.

Last week, we learned that in the last seven years 10.3 million people, almost all from the Third World, entered the United States, more than half illegally. The nation that was one-tenth minority in 1960 is now one-third minority. European-Americans will soon be a minority in the nation, as they are today in California, Texas and most large American cities.

And when that day comes, what then will unite us as a people?

Certainly not religious faith, for the last 40 years have seen a large influx of Muslims, the rise of a rabid secularism and the break-up of Christian churches – the Episcopalians most recently – over issues of morality: abortion, civil unions, homosexual bishops, assisted suicide, stem cell research, Darwin, creationism. No longer are we united by a common language, as the fastest growing radio and TV stations are Hispanic. And certainly not culture, as we are in a cultural war over history, heroes and holidays.

And how can we say diversity is a strength, when the most diverse nations of Europe, Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union, shattered into 22 nations as soon as they became free, and Slovaks and Czechs divorced? Ethnic and linguistic diversity is now pulling Belgium apart, as they tore Cyprus in two.

Since World War II, diversity – racial, religious, ethnic, cultural – has pulled Malaysia, the Indian subcontinent, Pakistan, Indonesia and Ethiopia apart, and is today pulling Iraq, Turkey and Lebanon apart. How, when tribalism is everywhere ascendant, is diversity a strength?

When Islam arose in the 7th century, our world became more diverse. Fourteen centuries of war followed. When Catholic Europe became more diverse with the Protestant Reformation, a century of war followed, ending in a Thirty Years War that carried away a third of all the German people.

There came a new diversity when the English came to the Red Man’s continent in 1607 and Africans were brought as slaves in 1619. From that diversity came the near annihilation of American Indians and a racial divide that led to the American Civil War, bloodiest in the West in the 19th century.

Our racial diversity has ever been the most divisive issue in America – and remains so, as we see daily from Jena, the Imus affair and the Duke rape case.

Britain is more diverse than in the time of Victoria and Churchill. Is Britain a better, stronger nation now that London is Londonistan, madrassas defend the London bombers and race riots are common in the industrial north? If diversity is a strength, why do Scots wish to follow the Irish and secede?

Has Germany been strengthened by the diversity the Turks brought? Is France a stronger nation for the 5 million to 8 million Muslims concentrated in the banlieus? How have the Japanese suffered from their lack of diversity?

The Melting Pot – language, law, culture – worked to make us one nation and one people. But that Melting Pot, cracked and broken, is rejected by multiculturalists as an instrument of cultural genocide, crafted by white Europeans to annihilate native cultures.

This generation is witnessing the Deconstruction of America. Out of one, many
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 08:45 PM
    The problem wi th diversity is that no one wants to assimilate for the greater good. In the U.S. people mov here from foregn countries and refuse to learn English, wsnting jobs where they only have to use their language, and costing tax payers a LOT of money to make everything bilingual. I'm not saying that learning or knowing more than one language is bad, I'm just saying that this is America and our national language is ENGLISH. Also, religious groups amass followers and instill in them strong and harsh feelings towards others who disagre with them or are different, the hatred is not only not a good thing for any religion, but it is bad for us all as a people. People also harbor negative feelings toward people who live thei lives differently or who have seemingly "abnormal" sexual preference, and no one wants to just live and let live, which is sad. Another thing that drive us apart is our striving for racial and gender "justice" so to speak. Things like affirmative action, racism, racial profiling, reverse racism, and people who feel they are chastised because of their race only cause more divisions between people, when really we should be getting along. No one needs special treatment if we all don't get it. We should all have the same pay, same rights, same right to jobs, same chances to go to college, etc. but our differences drive us apart and create these problems and also many hate crimes. So sad, really.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 10, 2007, 08:59 PM
    I don't know what to say here.

I believe that if you come to America, you should strive to be an American. Not a Mexican-American, or a Turkish-American, but an American. That means you should learn English, and at least attempt to fit in with our culture.

Do I think that means you should give up your religion? Not a chance. Completely give up your culture? Nope.

It does mean that I think that reasonable requests to accommodate new cultures should be entertained--but by that I mean accepting new modes of dress (especially as work uniforms--for example, head coverings if required by religion), or accepting the need for a specific schedule for a cultural celebration.

It does NOT mean that I accept the need for having everything bilingual. It doesn't mean that I accept people here illegally.

I don't think it's diversity that makes a country strong--I think it's tolerance for what diversity there is.

And I don't think that it's easy for ANYONE to be proud to be American when our government lies to us on a regular basis, and when half this country doesn't have a clue what is going on with our politics. It's hard for me to respect the office of president and be united by the war we're fighting when I don't even truly understand why we had to go to war in the first place.

It's not diversity that's dividing us--it's lack of trust that your neighbor will put their country first too.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Dec 10, 2007, 09:41 PM
    Hi NSG-

Where has Pat been? The whole world is made up diversification. Does he want a one world government with himself as ruler? I disagree with Buchanan on the premise that America was/is to be the melting pot. By comparison it's more like a stir fry. All ingredients that can and often do compliment each. But not, necessarily meant to be melted or blended together, nor does our success depend upon it. I don't think this country's forefathers saw this coming, but for the most part, with perhaps a few adjustments, the Constitution has worked rather well. Some would argue extremely well.

I'm employed by a very large corporation that has won several national recognition awards for staffing the company, and sister properties, with the most ethnically racial diversified employees in the country. We've been extremely successful for it. Admittedly it works well for the corporation because we are tourist driven and strive to cater to anyone from anywhere. But surely the issue problem is not diversity, as long as qualifications and training is mandated. The question is will companies use diversity as an excuse to hire minorities for less pay. Where I work I have a lot of benefits, but I worry that other companies are not so gracious and could easily take advantage of good hard working people.

I don't get Buchanan's religious take on this either. Listen if we are Buddhists, Jews, Christians, Muslim or non-religious Atheists, for that matter, is that so bad to operate practically in a US capitalist society where we all need food and clothing? Perhaps he wants us to throw our hands up and show up to his Church next Sunday and expect a handout? That's not happening. I'd bet all those original Protestants didn't always see eye to eye either. There is logic to why they are known by name, to protest! We all have traditions and cultural differences. Sure there are extremists and conflicts, but if we remain respectful to the constitutional rights and more importantly, do not do to others what you would not have done to yourself, then we will be fine. That's part of the American life and many other places. No, it wasn't that way in 1797, but thank G-d we don't use that old antiquated English any longer. Why? Because we have progressed by addition and our mutt American English is not pure, but already has a good dose of other languages words, due to migrations. In fact, one could make the argument that our American English is evolving into it own language.

Speaking of language, I do think learning other languages is good. I'm on board with diversification. In fact I'm a huge proponent of multilingual society, however we all need one specific language for educational reasons, commerce, business, and so that we all understand the late night news. That's why we should unify using "American" English.

What about our Armed forces? They are unified, yet diversified. Our troops, some of the best, if not the best in the world. Our civilian population, for that matter, coming together after that awful day on 9/11.

My conclusion is that being diversified can mean unification, and that doesn't mean losing our individual identities.

Bobby
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 03:18 AM
    Pat is a remnant of the Know -nothing party . He does not do justice for an honest debate about immigration because he is the stereotype that people try to label onto the border security advocates ;he is a nativist xenophobe.
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 07:00 AM
    Yeah, diversity isn't a bad thing, but we all have to do certain things that I will call assimilating for the common good, like, learn to read, learn English to get good jobs, accept tat we can't be religious extremists but we can believe anything we want, etc... follow the SAME laws. I love to see immigrants here, but not illegal ones. If you can't come here following the rules then I'm sorry but you do not deserve the rights and privileges of citizens or the legal immigrants, it costs us money and it's rather degrading.

That being said, I love when people dress different, speak other languages, and practice their culture, if it's not hurting anyone else more power to you!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Hello:

You people make up all sorts of requirements for newcomers. I don't know why. Maybe it's because our recent newcomers have BROWN skin and your ancestors didn't.

YOUR parents or grandparents DIDN'T learn the language. THEY stayed in their little neighborhoods where everybody else spoke THEIR language and ate THEIR food, and practiced THEIR customs...

But they WERE Americans. Oh, yes they were. They worked hard at menial jobs so their children could participate in the American dream. And, they did. Those children are YOU.

That's the way it is. I don't know how you missed it. THOSE people UNDERSTOOD what American was about. I'm not sure YOU do.

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 08:15 AM
    YOUR parents or grandparents DIDN'T learn the language. THEY stayed in their little neighborhoods where everybody else spoke THEIR language and ate THEIR food, and practiced THEIR customs...

My parents and grandparents DID learn the langage, and yes,the lived in ethnic neighborhoods and ate their own food and could speak their own language, (Which people are more than welcome to do today) but they weren't babied because they didn't know English, they HAD to learn it, and even then they were discriminated against severely, anybody ever seen old pictures with NO IRISH NEED APPLY? Yeah, they had to learn English (My greatgrandmother spoke gaelic and welsh) and they were disciminated against anyway. They lived in those neighborhoods because they couldn't afford, or were not welcome in other neighborhoods. They had to go through humiliating testing and inspections to get here, they didn't come here illegally, so I don't think the requirements are that harsh.

Dec 11, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello:

You people make up all sorts of requirements for newcomers.

Yes. Like try to educate them and provide for them better than the countries they came from. Like demand they be in the US legally.

I dunno why.
    I do. But let's be straight about the subject. Most Central and South Americans, immigrants from French speaking provinces in Canada that do come to the States, with the desire to be part of society and be here for any reasonable length of time, do learn English.

Maybe it's because our recent newcomers have BROWN skin and your ancestors didn't.
    Why insult the intelligence of brown skinned people.

What does skin color have to with this? German immigrants are caucasian. Spaniards often have blue eyes. Czechs, French, Italians, etc...

YOUR parents or grandparents DIDN'T learn the language.

They didn't? Little do you know.

THEY stayed in their little neighborhoods where everybody else spoke THEIR language and ate THEIR food, and practiced THEIR customs...

Are you kidding! It's easier now! Most local government have "English as a second language" assisted programs. Why are you making excuses? I had a friend come from Brazil and got free schooling to learn English.

But they WERE Americans. Oh, yes they were. They worked hard at menial jobs so their children could participate in the American dream. And, they did. Those children are YOU.
    Why did the subject change to work ethics. Of course most people come here to be part of the American dream.

That's the way it is. I dunno how you missed it. THOSE people UNDERSTOOD what American was about. I'm not sure YOU do.

excon...
    You got off track when you starting making excuses. In fact, it's a train wreck.

Israel makes new immigrants learn Hebrew in an ulpan. Why? It makes for a smoother running society. I wish it was the same here in the States. There's absolutely no excuse that by at least the second generation immigrant families can't comprende English.

Bobby
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    You got off track when you starting making excuses. In fact, it's a train wreck.
    Hello Bobby:

Give me your tired, your hungry and your huddles masses... But, you better learn English pretty damn quick...

How come it doesn't say that? Frankly, its YOU who's off track.

excon

PS> Where did you get illegal immigration out of a discussion about diversity?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 09:38 AM
    Imma hillbilly living in Cincinnati Ohio, There are laws on the books here in Cincinnati, because back in the day people from Cincinnati Ohio, did not want to give hillbillys places to stay or work.. when usins moved up from the hills even though our skin was as white as theirs. Cause they said hillbillys were lazy and dirty.
    Can't tell you the times I've been called a dumb hillbilly. I speak very well when I want to and I'm white as rice.A lot of black folks have disliked me because I'm white... open up my mouth and they hear that southern accent and automatically assume I'm racist... weird how racism works. Btw I was hired because of my accent back in the 80's my first job... my boss told me he liked hillbilly girls... they were so dumb they did not know when to quit working.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Dec 11, 2007, 09:49 AM
    NSG - good question

I agree with Bobby:

However, the one disagreement I have is the multicultural extreme that places more emphasis on differences rather than commonality and morphs into political correctness.

There is diversity, and I think that is good, but that is celebrated as a goal unto itself, when what really makes a country strong is unity.

More later

Dec 11, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Ex,

It doesn't say be ignorant, uneducated, and not learn English either. Why are you so derailed to make excuses? I'm trying to help immigrants to be better prepared and productive in society, and you seem bent on holding them back.

Bobby
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    I'm trying to help immigrants to be better prepared and productive in society, and you seem bent on holding them back.
    Hello again, Bobby:

If leaving them alone is holding them back, then I’m guilty.

What I’m trying to do, is let them enjoy their freedom without strings and expectations. Yes, I think they should learn English. But, I'm not going to put them down because they don't. I'm not going to wag my head and shake my finger at them. I'm not going to tell them how wrong they are for minding their own business, like you people are doing. Freedom means being left alone.

Anytime you begin a sentence with the words, “aliens should (fill in the blank)”; you're already on the wrong track. No they shouldn't.

And, I'M glad they don't. I LOVE ethnic neighborhoods. That's Americana to me. It's NOT the mall. Those neighborhoods only form because those people DON'T do what you are ALL saying they should.

In fact, the only reason we Jews lasted for 5,000 years with our religion in tact, is because we DIDN'T assimilate. Most times it was because we weren't allowed to, but the result is the same.

excon

Dec 11, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Hello again, Bobby:

If leaving them alone is holding them back, then I'm guilty.

What I'm trying to do, is let them enjoy their freedom without strings and expectations. Yes, I think they should learn English. But, I'm not going to put them down because they don't. I'm not gonna wag my head and shake my finger at them. I'm not going to tell them how wrong they are for minding their own business, like you people are doing. Freedom means being left alone.

Anytime you begin a sentence with the words, “aliens should (fill in the blank)”; you're already on the wrong track. No they shouldn't.

And, I'M glad they don't. I LOVE ethnic neighborhoods. That's Americana to me. It's NOT the mall. Those neighborhoods only form because those people DON'T do what you are ALL saying they should.
    From what you say here, I don't think you and I are so far apart. We want the best for anyone that comes to this country. Where we are going to disagree is that I'm not a pacifist. Nor am I a perfectionist. I wouldn't expect perfect scores in English. Hell! I had four years of English in high school and another in college. I had a 3.0 in English, maintaining only a B average, and I was much better in Business Math (4.0 GPA). But none-the-less I do expect the effort to be made and immigrants should want to learn the language.

In fact, the only reason we Jews lasted for 5,000 years with our religion in tact, is because we DIDN'T assimilate. Most times it was because we weren't allowed to, but the result is the same.

excon
    I know assimilation carries a negative connotation by traditional standards and I agree that if we lose our unique culture and faith, than eventually we do not survive. However, and perhaps this is my Reform side coming out again, I say the reason we survive is because we acclimated to our new surroundings, learned new languages wherever we traveled, all the while keeping the core part of the Faith. Take for example, even Sephardic Jews, the Spanish/Jewish mestizos, hanging on by a thread eventually came back around to Judaism after skipping generations. In Germany it is was not that our Ashkenazi ancestors liberally chose to blend in with society that destroyed them, it was because we were stabbed in the back for being better than our counterparts in business and commerce. We were doomed by jealousy and their myths concerning us, ignorance propagated, and to top it off by a dictator with his stupid pure Aryan restrictions. Sure the Reform movement in Germany initiated to go through the enlightenment and liberalized their local Judaism to the point it lost traditions, but they did not stop going to shul altogether. They loosely opted for ham sandwiches and musical instruments. But what we have here in the US society is heaven, a far cry from the Nazi government.

Bobby
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 11, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Hello:

You people make up all sorts of requirements for newcomers. I dunno why. Maybe it's because our recent newcomers have BROWN skin and your ancestors didn’t.

YOUR parents or grandparents DIDN'T learn the language. THEY stayed in their little neighborhoods where everybody else spoke THEIR language and ate THEIR food, and practiced THEIR customs....

That's the way it is. I dunno how you missed it. THOSE people UNDERSTOOD what American was about. I'm not sure YOU do.

excon

Excon--I don't know about YOUR ancestors, but some of MINE were the ones who lived here first and were forced onto reservations.

The rest of them worked their butts off to learn English, to better themselves, to become "Americans". Not Dutch-Americans, or German-Americans, or Hungarian-Americans---they wanted to belong to this country!

Who cares what color someone's skin is? I don't. I just care that they come here to be an American, not expect Americans to conform to THEM.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 11, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by charlotte234s
    YOUR parents or grandparents DIDN'T learn the language. THEY stayed in their little neighborhoods where everybody else spoke THEIR language and ate THEIR food, and practiced THEIR customs....
    I have to respectfully disagree with this. My grandparents were immigrants from Poland. When they came here they knew NO English, yet learned it by comparing the Polish Bible and the English Bible.

At a very young age I asked my grandparents to teach me Polish... their response was "We live in America now, we speak English."

While I still have some Polish traditions, primarily foods at Christmas, my heritage is Polish, but I, as well as my parents, were raised American.

My grandparents did not stay in THEIR little neighborhoods... They DID learn the language... The practiced the American customs, while keeping some of the lineage alive by passing down the foods of their favorite season.

Sorry I went off on a little tangent here, and I will admit to not reading the rest of the post, but when I see generalizations like this it just irks me.

My Grandparents, and many others in their community, believed that since they immigrated to America that they should adapt to American languages and customs. It was one way to show that they were grateful that this country accepted them.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Dec 12, 2007, 09:37 AM
    excon,

Why shouldn't there be expectations on immigrants? We have expectations for native citizens, so why not on immigrants?

We expect citizens to be productive members of society, to obey the laws and to be tolerant of others. Why should we not expect the same of immigrants?

And in order to become a productive member of society, one must speak the language. In order to obey the laws, one must be able to understand the laws. And in order to be tolerant of others, one must be able to communicate with others instead of miscommunicating.

Those of us who are in favor of English as the national language aren't putting any demands on immigrants that we don't have for native citizens. We're looking for exactly the same standards from immigrants as from natives.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Dec 12, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Excon,

After having met me face-to-face, do you feel that I am an "assimilated" Jew? And yet I think that I speak English pretty well. That's why I prefer the term "integration" over "assimilation". Integration means becoming a part of something without losing one's individual identity. Assimilation is subsuming one's identity in favor of becoming part of the group.

My family integrated into American society and became productive members. I'm a banker, my sister teaches science, and my brother is an MD. My dad is a lawyer and my mom is a real estate manager. We integrated quite successfully into American society. But we never assimilated into it.

That's what I'm asking for from the current crop of immigrants. I'm looking for them to integrate into society, not to assimilate into it. But integration includes learning the language to become integrated, productive and law-abiding.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 10:27 AM
    They need to do certain things like be able to communicate to hold jobs or make friends with the other people who are here, I don't think learning english is that bad, if we moved there, they'd expect us to learn their language.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should my basement get water will it destroy the laminate floor [ 3 Answers ]

If my basement gets water, will it destroy the laminate floor

My mother is out to destroy me [ 4 Answers ]

My mothers always hated me seriously hated me she acts bipolor but has never been diagonosed her behaviour was always a secreat to be keep growing up I accepted this from an early age and took it as the norm in our house now 20yrs later she still hates me and is hell bent on destorying me yes...

Solar flares can destroy the world? [ 13 Answers ]

I was talking to my dad, and he said that at any moment, we could look into the sky, and see funny lights like the aurora boreallis, and be like "oooh, thats pretty" and then die a few seconds or days later. Apparently that would be a solar flare from the sun hitting the earrth. I've been told...

View more questions Search