Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Dec 10, 2007, 03:58 PM
    2 Tv's crackles on same outlet
    Hey guys, I have a quick question. I had a TV hooked to an outlet and the TV would blast out a very annoying crackle of some sort. It is really hard to explain but it was a kind of noise that would make someone think the TV was on the fritz so we bought another one. Well, a couple months later this one started to make a crackle noise also. It's not the same noise but it is starting to make me think there is something in the circuit that is causing this. I believe there are only outlets attached to this circuit and maybe one light in the basement. There is a battery backup system that the tech says only uses about 2-3 watts. This is for our fiber optic phone and internet line that we have.

I am not sure if there is anything anyone can think of that might be causing this to happen. Or at best, what I can do to check the circuit to see what might be causing this. I am sorry if there is not enough info to help me but please ask questions if there is any more info needed.

Thanks.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 03:59 PM
    It sounds to me like a power surge. Are the appliances on surge protectors? For less than 5 bucks, you should really look into one.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2007, 04:32 PM
    There is a loose connection somewhere in the circuit, can be at the breaker, or any splice or connection in the cable, both black or white wires need to be checked at every outlet, junction box, switch, etc.

Dec 10, 2007, 05:18 PM
    Charlotte, thanka for your response. Yes this is on a surge protector.

TK, I will check. I am hoping it is that simple. Well, checking which one will be hard but, will be worth it but once I find it, will seem simple. Once I find it, I'll let you know. As always, thank you for your expert help.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Is the crackle constant or occasional? It is possible some other electric device on the same circuit is causing interference.

Dec 12, 2007, 07:23 AM
    It is occasional most of the time. When it happens it sometimes it'll happen for 10 minutes constant then it won't happen for a little while. I'll keep that in mind after checking the wires. Thanks.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2007, 05:09 PM
    Oh, also can be a motor that uses brushes, and runs intermittently, like a sump pump. The brushes may be bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

RCA TV Crackles and shuts off [ 1 Answers ]

I have an RCA 52 inch TV (D52W19BYX2) that shut off this morning. It started a few months ago with some crackling sounds and eventually the TV would turn off. It would come back on after a minute or so and either do it again or just be fine. It did this for about 2 months and then has been fine...

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

About lcd tv's [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between hdtv and hdready

Hooking up 2 TV's to one Receiver [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a satellite receiver in one room that works perfectly. I am wanting to hookup another TV in a different location using the same receiver. How can I make this happen? Thanks.

View more questions Search