Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prema18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 04:19 AM
    Mutual Funds
    How are Mutual funds beneficial in tax planning?
    If we chose mutual funds, there are lot of banks issuing the same. What is the key critirion used to decide about selection of mutual funds
    yashfrminida Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 04:39 AM
    Hi
    Prema
    Apart from lot of banks there are other companies who have floated Mutual fund .
    The key critirion is your risk appatite . There are different type of fund like : Capital goods fund, balance fund, real estate fund, energy sector fund and purely debt fund .

Aprt from personal preference Past performance of fund and Fund Manager etc are also taken in to account .

As far my experience I have burnt my hand in Mutual Fund some year back . But it doesn't mean that same will apply to you . I prefer Pure Debt Fund (only if I think interest rate is stable if interest rate increase then I have to suffer loss) and directly investing in share market .

Thanks & Rergards
    Yash
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 10, 2007, 02:15 PM
    First, this question would be best posted in an INVESTMENT forum, rather than this (TAX) forum.

That said, there are mutual funds for virtually EVERY type of investment (commodities, stocks, bonds, real estate, derivatives, debt, foreign bonds, U.S. government bonds, state government bonds, municipal bonds, etc.).

If you are not familiar with how mutual funds work, best put your money in a money market fund and TAKE THE TIME TO LEARN WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW before you invest.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 11, 2007, 12:04 AM
    Investing in the mutual funds is not tax planning; there is no tax benefit. It is investment planning.
    yashfrminida Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 12:18 AM
    Hi
    Mukta A

In India from time to time Fund House come out with Certain type of investment product under mutual fund which have certain type of tax benefit . But under this scheme there is lock in period for your investment .

Regards
    Yash
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 11, 2007, 10:43 AM
    Noted!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mutual Fund [ 2 Answers ]

What is Mutual Fund?

Mutual Funds [ 1 Answers ]

I've been researching mutual funds and I've narrowed it down to 2 which have very similar holdings (5 of the top 10 holdings are identical) and are very similar in other side by side comparisons. The main difference is one has 70/30 % stocks and bonds (FNMA and us treasury note) the other is100%...

Mutual funds [ 2 Answers ]

Should I get out of my mutual funds now or wait?

View more questions Search