Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whenitz Posts: 35, Reputation: 0

Dec 15, 2005, 07:30 AM
    Shut down problem
    I'm using an intel pentium 3 PC. My problem is, every time I shut down my PC a message appears in the screen that I cam turn off my PC safely. But when I push the power button nothing happens, so I will turn off my ups to turn off my PC. Is that safe? What should I do? Please help me! Please...
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2005, 07:44 AM
    Shut down
    Hi,
    Could you please tell us what windows version you are using? Like 98, 2000, XP, etc? I have seen a computer with Win98, worked on by a tech, that would show a similar message.
    Thank you.

Dec 15, 2005, 07:50 AM
    Shut down problem
    I'm using windows xp professional edition.. Is the problem is in my bios configuration?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2005, 08:22 AM
    XP won't shut down
    Hi,
    Try this:
    Go to Start / Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance / Power Options Tab.
    Then, click on APM; Enable Advanced Power Management Support.
    Click on Apply and OK.
    I am not 100% sure this is the problem, but it's worth a try.
    Good luck. If it doesn't work, please post back.
    And Yes, it's safe to turn off your ups, or you can hold down the computer's on-off button for about 5 seconds... it should then shut down.

Dec 15, 2005, 08:50 AM
    No apm
    There's no apm in power management properties. Alla I can see are power schemes,advance,hibernate and ups. What will I do? Tnx for helping dude! Thank you very much..
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Dec 15, 2005, 10:15 AM
    As Fred says, holding in the power button for 5 seconds should do the trick. If you don't want to have to do this, you can go into the bios and look for an option that says something like "when power button pressed" and the options are usually "instant off" or "delay 4 seconds".
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Dec 15, 2005, 01:32 PM
    Howdy and welcome to AMHD:

Boot into BIOS and make sure Advanced Power Management is enabled..

Now, go to where Fredg directed you to and enable APM..

Lastly, did your system come with XP or did you install it as an upgrade?

If installed as an upgrade, what operating system was on it before and did it auto-shutdown for you?

Murray

Dec 15, 2005, 04:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your suggestion guys. I installed a windows 98se before and it automatically shutdown. But when I formatted the disk and installed xp the problem occur. I'll try to do what you have said then I will let you know the result. Again,thank you..

Dec 16, 2005, 09:25 AM
    Howdy Littledan:

Just a word to the wise, but it is WAY smarter starting your own thread rather than hijacking someone else's.. Less confusing..

As for being unable to get online, how do you normally connect - dial-up or broadband?

In either case, do you have the proper drivers for either your modem or NIC installed?

Have you setup the connection as per your ISP's instructions?

Murray
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 16, 2005, 01:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by littledan1
    that same thing occured with me except that I had a windows 2000 and I installed windows XP, after that I could not surf the internet, and the computer would work slower, it woudn't read disks correctly, need help.
    In addition to the point Murray made, you really don't have the same situation. Upgrading from 2K to XP is different then going from 98SE to XP. Also the symptoms you describe are way different. Please start a new thread with a new problem.

Dec 16, 2005, 10:53 PM
    Tnx..
    Tnx to all your suggestion guys..
    I already fix my PC now..

If it is OK,I will ask another question..

I also have a pentium 4 and my problem is every time I try boot my PC and when I already got in to the windows,my PC keeps on restarting.

I already format my PC and installed a new os. But the same problem occurs,I already used three sdram. Still,the problem is there..

I tried to change motherboard,I also used the same ram that I used before.. Same thing happen and I can't install a new os in my hard drive..

I don't know what to do.. Please help me guys..

Dec 17, 2005, 04:48 AM
    It could be your power supply unit (PSU), this is where the mains power comes in and then gets fed to the motherboard and drives in your machine. If it's faulty this could happen. Try swapping the unit with your other machine and see if it's any better. If so - replacement units are not really expensive.

Always backup important documents before attempting any new maintenance procedure!

Dec 18, 2005, 08:18 AM
    Littledan:

Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    It could be your power supply unit (PSU), this is where the mains power comes in and then gets fed to the motherboard and drives in your machine. If it's faulty this could happen. Try swapping the unit with your other machine and see if it's any better. If so - replacement units are not really expensive.

Always backup important documents before attempting any new maintenance procedure!
    Here you go.. Now, is this directed to you or the original poster? Don't know? Take a chance then and see what happens! I rest my case..

Now, do you have the proper drivers for your modem installed?

Are you getting an error message at all when trying to connect?

What are you running for a processor and ram?

Murray

Dec 19, 2005, 02:24 PM
    Murray, You do know why they're called threads I presume? It's because the posts are kept in the order they are posted. My response was to the post immediately before it!

Whilst I agree with starting new threads for new questions, I simply give advice where I can and don't appreciate the criticism your giving on this. I have no problem with mods moving new questions to new threads, but as I don't have such powers, I'll stick to answering questions as & when they come.

Maybe you'd like to show us how you would've answered the question so we can improve our service.

Dec 19, 2005, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by littledan1
    well thanks for the critizice, but what I really need is help, ok?
    I use dial-up, (no we are not out of this world) what the heck's the matter?
    First of all Stu, I was replying to this post, not yours.. Had you looked, you would have seen Littledan's name at the top!! Golly, it IS a little confusing when someone posts another question to an on-going thread.. I guess YOUR reply simply proved my case even better.. YOU had no idea what or whom I was replying to now did you!!

THAT is the biggest reason for starting one's owm thread rather than hijacking another..

Nuff said..

Murray

Dec 20, 2005, 05:08 AM
    Yes Murray, of course I knew you were replying to Littledan's post, however you criticised my post whilst doing it - that gives me the right to respond.

Some people come here to help, unfortunately some just come to argue and criticise - I hope you learn some manners as you could be useful member of this site.

Still waiting for your correction to my post.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 20, 2005, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    Yes Murray, of course I knew you were replying to Littledan's post, however you criticised my post whilst doing it - that gives me the right to respond.

Some people come here to help, unfortunately some just come to argue and criticise - I hope you learn some manners as you could be useful member of this site.

Still waiting for your correction to my post.
    Umm, Stu where did Murray criticize any post of yours? What he did was quote your answer in a response to LittleDan. Basically he was saying here's your answer. So he was complimenting your answer, not criticizing it!

I really think you need to review the thread entirely and I think you will see you owe Murray an apology.

Dec 20, 2005, 08:09 AM
    Hi Scott,
    The criticism I am responding to is this:

1 - That my post somehow did not state which question it was relating to - I've already responded to this as it is not necessary in a thread, unless you are answering questions out of sync (where you can then use the quote function).

2 - The fact that if Littledan tried this suggestion it may somehow damage his computer ("take a chance then and see what happens"). I agree that it doesn't relate to his problem, but if he tried it, it wouldn't damage anything.

I'll admit that a 14 hr day doesn't do much for my good humour but they look like criticisms to me!

Ahh sod it, I don't enjoy this arguing stuff anyway! Merry Christmas everyone :) Race you to the bar Murray :D lets have a pint

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/c fan doesn't shut off [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had a company install some cellulose insulation in my house. Since then, my air conditioning unit does not shut off until I turn up the temperature button to 80. Is it possible that something could be in the attic coils that makes the fan unit not shut off?

Shut Off Problem [ 1 Answers ]

Report Junk E-Mail Report and Block Sender Sign in Sign out New Instant Message Add Messenger Contacts Messenger Options

Shut down problem [ 7 Answers ]

I cannot shut down or restart unless I use "turn off" twice. On the first time the desktop becomes gray and that's all/ XP+sp2 and with all updates THANKS

Shut down problem [ 9 Answers ]

On windows XP sp1. When I'm turning off, the operating system shuts down but the PC continues working until :confused I press down the turn off button. Anybody can help about this?

Shut down [ 2 Answers ]

HI, My computer will not shut down from the start menu. Tom Windows 98 se When I want to shut down I go to start hit The shutdown dot. What I see is screen gets A little checkerboard like and screen changes To the shutdown window saying windows is

View more questions Search