Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wchirnside Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Resident for Florida Tax purposes
    I own vacation property in the U.S. and want to sell. In order to save on taxes can I become a resident without a visa or green card? Must I live there more than 179 days?

WC
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 10, 2007, 01:44 PM
    WC:

It's not quite that easy.

If you are a non-resident alien for even ONE day in a calendar year, you CANNOT file as a resident alien UNLESS you are married.

The capital gains calculations are the same for non-resident aliens as they are for resident aliens.

It is likely you would pay only slightly less as a non-resident alien than you would as a resident alien.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreclosure in Florida by non-us resident [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I currently have two outstanding mortgaes, both in fLorida, one on a lot of land and one on a house. I am trying to sell both of them but in the current market have not been able to and I cannot keep paying the mortgage payments. I do not live in the US but in the UK and have a UK passport....

Tax purposes [ 3 Answers ]

If a parcel of land that was originally purchased for $85,00 is offered for sale at $150,000, is assessed for tax purposes at $95,000, is recognized by its purchasers as easily being worth $140,000, and is purchased for $137,000, the land should be recorded in the purchaser's books at:

Am I a resident or nonresident alien for tax purposes? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in the US ONLY on an F-1 visa in the calendar years 2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006 and 2007. However, I left the US in April 2004 and came back in Dec 2005 with a new F1 visa for a new degree. I am not sure whether I am a resident alien or non-resident alien for tax purposes. I have not...

From OPT (F-1) to H1B - resident for tax purposes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been in the US since August 2000. I started college in South Carolina and then transferred to school in Atlanta, GA on Jan 2003. I was on OPT from May 16, 2005 until Jan 07, 2006. On Jan 07, 2006 I started using my H1B status. I currently reside in Atlanta, GA. Between Jan...

View more questions Search