Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jharsh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Not enough volts
    I have hung two new ceiling fans in the family room. One light outlet has 6 wires three black three white the other has one black and one white. The switch on the wall has a black and a white. I do not have 110v after turning on the breaker, at the switch I have approx. 75v any ideas.

Harsh
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2007, 06:25 PM
    Sounds like you have wired them in series

How to Hang the Fan and Attach the Wiring | Expert Village Videos

You need to have power off at the breaker -- and should check white and black pairs for power -- with a meter

Make sure there is no power before using meter to check wiring -- also turn off wall switch

Make sure no wires are touching each other -- you will be checking black and white wires for continuity

Where the box has three pairs (step 1) short the single pair of wires at the other box and try to find that pair

Mark both ends with a (1) and separate them... Step (2) turn on wall switch and check pairs for contunity

This pair is marked (2) This means the last pair is (3) and should be marked as such IMPORTANT STEP:

The black (3) will be wire nutted to the (2) white wire of the switch *** All bare wires tie to ground or green

Wires... The remaining white wires tie to each other (neutrals) and Black wires and blue wires are (hot ) to

Lights and fan... Hope I haven't confused you
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2007, 08:38 PM
    In the outlet with 6 wires, are any of the whites marked with black tape? What you have is one pair hot from the breaker, one pair going to the second outlet, and the third pair goes to the switch. You need to sort out which is which. Power needs to flow from the black wire from the breaker to one wire of the pair going to the switch. The other wire from the switch needs to connect to the one fan and the black to the second one. You then need to connect all the whites except the one that goes to the switch to gather. The white that goes to the switch should be marked with black tape if not already.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 11:37 PM
    Labman is correct. Figure out which black/white set comes from the switch, mark it's white wire with black tape. Figure out which black/white set comes from the breaker.

Connect:

Breaker black - switch black
    Switch white (black tape) - fan black (and blue if light), remaining black from ceiling (goes to other fan)
    Connect all remaining whites together including the one from the fan.

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Watts to volts [ 3 Answers ]

How many volts are needed to wire several fixtures that total 540 watts. Will a 20 amp breaker handel this.

120 volts vs 240 volts tools [ 3 Answers ]

How do I configure a 120 volts 60hz woodworking tools bought in the usa to work on a 240 volts 50hz power rating in my country without having to compromise the motor operation. I understand that the stepdown transformer can only reduce the voltage but not the cycles. That means that a tool with...

Gauge 10 or 12 for 240 volts [ 4 Answers ]

Installing a electric heater in my bathroom, the kind that go into the wall cavity between the studs. It requires 240 volts and 16-17 amps. What size wire and breaker are needed?

480 volts in home [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if it is legal to have 480 volts and 480 volt devices or equipment that runs on 480 volts in my home. Thank you timbeemoe

Cl 200 220 volts ? [ 1 Answers ]

Does the CL 200 mean it's a 200 amp service? I can't see the numbers but I'm sure its 2-2-2 alu... the jacket is 1 inch wide 5/8 or so thick... what amp panel can I put in with that.. I have 100 amp service now.. I won't use more elect I just want a bigger box with 30 spaces for more room to...

View more questions Search