Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    artistall Posts: 88, Reputation: 5

Aug 11, 2004, 08:55 AM
    Paris Etching Society NY-USA
    I have two etchings that have Paris Etching Society NY-USA in the upper right hand corner and a small circle with the letters S Z and L in it at the lower left corner. They are hand signed in pencil but I can't make out the name. One appears to be Le Beauvois with another signature to the Right Possibly the name of the painting looks like Martu_ _ _ _ something. Both are Country scenes with a small cottage on the side of the dirt path huge field in background Trees in the foreground next to a pond. Can you Identify and tell me if there is any real value in these two pieces?
    cusporet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2004, 08:29 PM
    I also have two etchings marked in a manner similar to yours. They each have a number, 201 & 205, respectively. One has a title, with the name Boyer. The scenes are what I would term French country side. # 201 views a hillside town from below with the viewer "standing" along side a river with a typical arched stone bridge over which one sees the hillside town.

# 205 has a thatched cottage on the left, dirt road/path down the middle, and a covered well at the lower right.

I have no idea what they are let alone what they might be worth. Have you had any responses in that regard?

Sep 15, 2004, 09:11 AM
    Re: Paris Etching Society NY-USA
    No responses relating to the origin or value of these prints have come in, only similar inquiries such as yours. However, judging by the amount of Paris Etching Society Prints posted on the internet including eBay I would suspect the value to be low unless the print is a low numbered, or rare piece. If anyone finds out anything, please let me know! Thanks!
    redgurl.1978 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2004, 06:08 AM
    Re: Paris Etching Society NY-USA
    I also have two pieces form the paris etching society, of course it is hard to find out anything, especially, the artist i have - paul wood. But a little info that may be helpful, the szl stands for sydney z. lucas-paris etching society.

Sep 29, 2004, 07:19 AM
    I searched "Sydney Z Lucas" on the web and found a website that features many collectibles. Click on Lithographs and you may find something similar to the prints you have. Good Luck!
    Tracyf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2004, 09:42 PM
    Same as Artistall and Cusporet, I have #207, by Boyer titled "The Pond", with a penciled inscription to the right of SZL - "L'etaug" or "L'etang" (I'm guessing French for "The Pond"?) It is also a landscape, specifically an old stone cottage with a tall chimney and witch's cap, a pond in the background, and a wooden boat in the foreground. Since nobody has mentioned prices (not to be confused with "worth" of course), I paid $1.50 at the thrift store. Of course it worth much more to me than that. :)
    vcorban Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2005, 10:33 PM
    Just to continue this thread, I acquired a small lithograph some years ago which also carries all the Paris Etching Society marks. It is #311 of "Le Route" by an artist signed only as "Philippe". The print is approx. 9x12 and was framed with a mat that had lines inked in around the inner edge to set off the art. It is a picture of a country road with leaf-trees lining its edge and more trees in the distance. The colors are primarily browns, greens and red-browns.

I would appreciate anyone who could tell me more about the artist and value.

The print appears to be perfect, but the mat and frame show age and some wear and slight discoloration. The paper seal on the back is damaged, but I have not replaced it or disturbed it further as it carries a printed stamp which describes the item and there is another inked set of numbers that I assume are from the dealer that sold it originally.

Vern
    scot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2005, 02:40 PM
    Wrote a long message- ?lost in the sending as do not know howto navigate this. Need info on a french etching Le Cheumor Che.. du leu...
    Artist is P E Luo or Luam or Lu.. ty. It has the SZL and the #60. The picture is 19"h by 24" w in a 5" heavy gold carved frame. It shows mts, a road leading to a lake with a village or cluster of houses in the background. There are trees in the fore and background. The colors are muted green, brown, blue, sand-gold, and some brown-reds. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks
    Martine Petite Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2005, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artistall
    I searched "Sydney Z Lucas" on the web and found a website that features many collectibles. Click on Lithographs and you may find something similar to the prints you have. Good Luck!
    You seem to have had some results. WE have two prints,SZL on them, got them at a yard sale 30 years ago. Is the Paris Etching Society NY still in existence? There are lots of postings asking about specific prints but none mentions whether the company still exists or whether one can obtain other prints. Went to another site, that listed etchings, some from PES, but none looked remotely like what we have, which seems to be a lithograph. We have one where the last name seems to be Lecompte and one which is either Jourday or Jourdan. Any lead you might provide would be appreciated. We just got internet and decided a first project would be to see what, if anythng we could find out about PES. We were stunned to find all the postings.
    Thanks,
    Martine
    Malvern Arts Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2005, 11:43 AM
    Sydney Z Lucas
    I have just recently framed for a client 6 Lithographs of Maurice Legendre, all of Paris scenes in the 60'(?) They all came from the studio press of Sydney Z Lucas of New York City. I have photographed one of them.
    Hope this help.
    Serge.
    Attached Images

powhitetrash Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2005, 09:49 PM
    Yahoo! Search Thread Lead Me Here
    I'm sorry to intrude on an old thread that someone else started but in doing a Yahoo! Search for information, this forum was the only thing that showed up. I'm looking for whatever informaion I can find on an etching I've acquired. It's label on the back (this etching is professionally framed) reads:

Genuine Etching
    By
    Martinet
    Entitled The Somme River
    Paris Etching Society
    Distributed By Turner
    New York, Chicago, Los Angeles
    SLL Trade Mark

Copyright SZD in small circle on front left bottom and next to that it appears to say: For Somme. Then the artist's name, Martinet, is written on the right bottom in pencil.

I'm really about as far from an expert as you can get about these things. I'd like to know something about the artist, the time frame in which the etching was made, etc. And if you're feeling really generous with your time, perhaps you could tell me how an etching is made? Are many many prints made of the same thing? And last but not least, is it worth anything?

I'm attaching a photo of the piece. There are NO stains anywhere on this, but there are slight reflections in it from the CD's I have on my ceiling in my office (have to do something with all those AOL CD's that come in the mail).
    Thank you all for your time.
    Attached Images

taylorbarbie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2005, 12:10 PM
    SLZ - Paris Etching Society
    Just curious - read a post that stated if one has a lower number print (#9 & #10), these prints may be worth more value than a higher number print. Were you able to find out what your prints are worth? I have #9 & #10 and was wondering about a figure for each.
    dottiedart66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2005, 06:28 PM
    Paris Etching Society
    I have a print approximately 18X24 with a cottage and a dirt path around the left side. There is also a tree on the right of the picture and a wood fence in the bottom left corner. The bottom left hand corner of the print has an SZL in a circle and a number 9. It also says "La fin du Hameau" in the bottom left hand corner. In the bottom right hand corner is a signature that is difficult to make out but appears to say R. Barusie. I'm not sure about the name, but it is something close to that.
    My question is, what is the history of the print? And Is it worth anything?
    rolldub Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2006, 10:47 AM
    Szl etching
    I have etching That has the szl with cirle around the letters on the bottom left of the frame. This picture also has written next to the szl Kentucky in autum witch above from the words has a picture memicking the saying.
    On the bottom right it have the saying giovanni yesterday with a rome prision above the saying. This picture that I have has to do with my family back ground. Between the two pictures There is a road with puddles of tears that are face italy were my family stood and cried. This etching is label with a #7.
    If anyone has information please post.
    ninny Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2006, 10:12 PM
    More Paris Etching Society
    Hello, I'm ninny, I have been reading this thread through a web search, I of also have an etching. I have a number 2 on the left bottom just before the szl in the circle. Painting is titled "Canal de l'yonne" France . Artist is F. Roth
    The scene depicts a stream with trees and cottages to the right as well as a man on a boat tied to the bank. On the left of stream is a dirt path or road and a man leading a two horse team pulling a wagon and in the distance you can see what looks to me to be possibly a church farther upstream. I don't really know too much about this sort of thing but I don't believe it is a print. Would I be right to say this was a number 2 painting. :confused:
    stemics Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2006, 12:14 AM
    I also have two etchings from Paris etching Society New York USA they are both by the same artist. I believe his name is Lecourt. I did find something about him on the web two years ago but can find nothing now.
    stemics Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2006, 07:39 PM
    OK I found the artist his name is Paul Emile Lecomte. His etchings are valued at around $75.00 and some of his original paintings are going for around $25,000 here is a link to his bio and an image of his work called Marche a Melan http://european-artgallery.com/artis...fm?painter=293

Hope this helps

Stemics
    teesladyboss Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2006, 09:52 AM
    Could be Paul Emile Lecomte print. I have several watercolor etchings of his. In my research I noticed some of the newer prints used only his first two initials.
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

Feb 16, 2006, 12:34 AM
    Google Paris Etching Society NY and you will find many links to possible information. http://www.google.com/search?num=30&...NY&btnG=Search

Hypatia
    NightRavenNTE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2006, 12:20 PM
    I also have a PES Print.
    But mine is a little different than the other that are posted,
    And the names and title are harder to read.

Another thing that is different is mine I believe is in french and on the back
    Is also typed "made in France".

It is #102 with the SZL incircled.
    Title: La Vieille Cour or
    La Faille Cour (not exactly sure of spellings)
    Signature: De Toutaure (not exactly sure of spelling)

Description of scene:
    Tones are of, blues, browns, greens, red and grey with the inking.

The scene has a stone bridge over a waterway leading to a village of 3 or 4 cottages, with what looks like a stone levy possibly separating some of the water. There are some green shrubs in the foreground of one of the cottages and some green trees in the background against a pale blue sky and a few scattered clouds.
    One of the cottages has a wood shingle roof possibly and the other has a grey roof and the other two have a terra cotta colored roof.

If anyone has a similar print or know anything about this one or where to find information about would be very helpful.

Thank You

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Paris Etching Society- Boyer [ 21 Answers ]

I purchased at an antique auction a Boyer print entitled "The Entrance". The number on the label on the back of the print is #11. The label states that this is an original etching and carries the SZL identification on the lower left front of the print. The left top of the front side of the print...

Paris Etching Society NY [ 4 Answers ]

I have been trying to research the signature on my etching. No luck so far on finding info on artist F. Roth and this etching "Canal de lyonne" . Sure could use some help . A nice #2 etching as described in my first message. Any one heard of him or know how I could find out about him?

Paris Etching Society [ 4 Answers ]

I have a framed etching entitled " The Yonne Canal, France" by F. Roth. The left bottom reads; 2, then SZL in a circle, Canal de l' Yonne 1 France. Signed F. Roth in the right bottom corner and Paris Etching Society NY USA in the top right. Would anyone have any information pertaining to the...

Paris Etching Society [ 1 Answers ]

I have an etching by Paul Emile Lecomte and the Paris Etching Society that has been handed down for several generations in my family. The title of the etching is "The Hamlet in France" / "Le Hameau". It has the letters SZL in a circle and then in the bottom left hand corner NO. 8. It is...

View more questions Search