Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kymom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Signing custody agreement without a lawyer?
    My five year old daughter father and I were never married. When my daughter was six months old, I lost the house I was renting, I lost my job, I lost pretty much everything. I asked my child's father to help me out by taking her a little while so I could get back on my feet. He lived about ten miles down the road. I still saw my daughter often and when I got my apartment I started taking her part of the week.

The father told me he wanted to get papers signed so that I couldn't just decide to take her out of his life. He got a lawyer to draw up JOINT custody papers and told me to go to the lawyers office and sign them, I did, I was young and very naïve. I thought joint custody meant actual joint shared custody, I didn't understand what primary custodial parent meant and the father told me they had to put that in there but it didn't really mean anything( I know, I was dumb) anyway we each take her half the week, he has her a little bit over half, so I didn't even realize how badly I got screwed until later.

I eventually got married, my husband and I own a home, I am a stay at home mother of three children and a foster son. The problem is a couple of years ago the father started sticking our daughter in daycare all day long, at one point he was unemployed for months and still put her in daycare all day, on the days that he had her. When I asked him to let me take her during that time he said NO, that that was his time. He constantly talked about the fact that he was primary custodial parent and that made him the boss. I just wanted to know if there are any laws that address me not having a lawyer present during the signing of the custody agreement. I mean the judge did not decide he was the best parent. His lawyer got me to sign the paper and then turned it into the court to get signed. I feel very taken advantage of, and I feel that our daughter has to suffer because he wants to play power games with me. CAN ANYONE HELP ME?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2007, 05:05 PM
    You could go back to court and ask to revise the custody papers because he isn't using his time as time with him anyway. Tell the Judge he is denying allowing you to watch her and taking her to daycare instead simply because he doesn't wanting you to have her and you feel it would be in the best interest of the child to be with you during the times the father can not watch her. You might be able to get the Judge to revise them and it is worth the try I would think.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 9, 2007, 07:18 PM
    So several years ago you did a certain agreement, don't worry about why and no lawyer and so on, things change and you merely go back and ask for a change in the agreement.

The custody agreement should say what days you get the child and what days he does.
    m.sanders2010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2011, 02:50 PM
    I am going through the same thing except it hasn't been years only about a month, before the child's father decided to stop allowing me to see my daughter. But I am taking him back to court and hopefully the judge will have mercy on me and understand that I had no clue as to what I was signing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What ? 2 ask a lawyer for custody? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I need some help!! My son is 10 yrs old and my ex and I have joint custody and our son lives with him. I have recently found out that my ex signed our son over to his sister and now she has a "guardinship papers" our my son. I went to get him and she would not give him up. I later found...

Signing over rights and temp. Custody [ 1 Answers ]

Okay now I have a little sister that is living with my father! He has dropped her off at a friends house where the parent is willing to take her in and live till she turns 18! Father will not sign paper stating this other adult can get medical attention if she needs it! How do I go about with no...

Wishing to Change Decision Making Power in Joint Custody Agreement. [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-husband and I have a joint custody agreement (60:40, me:him) that includes 50/50 decision making power in regard to medical care, education, and religion. When we were married we usually agreed about everything related to parenting and care for the kids. My ex-husband has remarried and now...

How my boyfriend goes about signing over custody of my son [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend just got out of prison and hasn't been there since the birth of our son. He wants to sign over full custody of our son because he wants me and him to work out visitations on our own and knows that he is not capable right now of taking care of a child in his living situation. How would...

Need a lawyer [ 2 Answers ]

I am being discriminated against by wv law courts etc.

View more questions Search