Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikestorm Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Dec 14, 2005, 07:50 PM
    Old wooden window won't close
    I have a wooden window that jams about 6" from the bottom. It seems to jam on the left side and there's a small pile of sawdust in that corner. It doesn't look like the individual sliding parts of the window can be removed.

Any advice?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2005, 04:29 AM
    There should be a piece of trim that acts as the "track" for the window. Remove it from one side and you will be able to pull the window in toward you.

Now you'll be able to see what's rubbing - and plane it down.

Heck, you might get lucky and find that it's just a piece of something... or a small nail or screw or something that slipped down in there and is causing the rubbing... which is causing the sawdust pile - and jams the window.

Dec 15, 2005, 06:38 AM
    I know exactly what you're referring to (track). It didn't look removable, but I'll give it a second look. I think you might also be right about it being something simple.

The issue most likely originated when the chain connecting that side of the window to the counter-weight in the window frame disconnected from the window (just bought the house no not sure when it happened). The previous owner ignored the issue, so one side of the window lifted with the benefit of a counter-weight and one side did not. I'm sure over time the overall levelness of the window pane eroded as it was continuously lifted and shut, eventually causing the window to jam.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2005, 06:41 AM
    I think you hit the nail on the head. It's not being balanced has got it trying to go up and down cockeyed.

As far as the "track"; it's likely a piece of trim that has been painted over many times over the years... so you may not see right away that it's just a piece of trim... usually quarter round or something similar.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2005, 06:59 AM
    Wooden window jam
    HI,
    This might sound really dumb, but have you tried spraying a little WD40 on it?
    I wouldn't use Vaseline to make it slippery, because the Vaseline will harden over a short period.
    Might work with WD40. Available at any hardware, department store, or auto store.
    Best of luck.
    Lotta Posts: 124, Reputation: 8

Dec 16, 2005, 04:52 AM
    You can try rubbing a bar of soap along the track that the window moves within.
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2005, 04:58 AM
    Lubrication may help, but probably only temporarily. Replace that other balancer and it will work like a charm.

To get to where the balance is, you'll need to remove the trim from around your window.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Dec 16, 2005, 07:14 AM
    Alternative
    I would suggest using a candle (or other source of wax) to lube the window.

Soap, like vaseline, will harden over time, or it will attract moisture and cause an even bigger problem with swelling, rot, etc.

Soap works great as a lubricant for screws though. (bar not liquid)

RickJ is right though, fix the balance issue and the window will work great, or at least better. You may want to consider doing a sash replacement kit. Marvin and others make really easy kits for doing that. Plus, it will have a mild impact on your fuel bill.

Good Luck, Dan

Dec 16, 2005, 04:01 PM
    Well, although not 100% fixed, the issue has been addressed.

I went back and reexamined the window. The left and right side of the frame contains the sash, and an aluminum track (with an upright ridge in the center) is what the sash physically rides on. There is a indented channel on each side of the sash. The channel fits in the aluminum ridge, and the window slides up and down.

I reexamined the aluminum ridge on the left side, and it was bent inward (like someone had taken a hammer to it). I used pliers to straighten the ridge back to its original shape, and the window now travels freely.

The chain connected to the counter weight in the frame of the window is still loose, but as far as I can tell the only way to reattach it is to remove the sash, which seems like an awful lot of work now that the immediate problems (thermal and security) have been addressed.

I think the counter weight unattaching from the window on the same side was a coincidence, and the real problem was the bent track (meaning the problem won't replicate itself since I didn't reattached the chain).

Thanks to all who responded!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing wooden fence [ 8 Answers ]

I want to hire someone to install a new wooden fence. Like to pay him for the job but curious as to how many hours would it require one person to put in 120 feet of fencing. Includes 15 posts and required 2X4's and 6 inch boards. Posts to be installed with concrete. Two gates. Rough estimate is...

Gas line & dryer vent pipe - how close is too close? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm rerouting the gas dryer vent piping so that it will inside the adjoining stud wall. At the top of the wall the vertical exhaust pipe will be within an inch or two of the horizontal running copper gas supply line. Question - is there a minimum distance that the metal dryer exhaust pipe must...

Wooden filofax [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone know who makes wooden filofaxes? Thanks

Novel - Wooden Centauri [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Askme Helpers, Can someone please help me with the novel 'Wooden Centauri'? I need the: Authors name, If it was published in Hardback, The ISBN, If it is available on Cassette, CD or online for download or listening to,

Will they ever close up? [ 4 Answers ]

Currently, I have 7 piercings in my ears. I have my first ones done when I was 8 and they were crooked (they never closed up from me poking earrings through them), so I had them re-pierced at 10 and they are also crooked. My second ones were pierced at 12 and one of those is crooked, and my third...

View more questions Search