Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwracing38 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Dec 9, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Morning after pill for dogs
    I have a English Springer Spaniel that was bred by a yellow lab that was passing through the neighborhood last night. How do I get the morning after pill or injection for her so that she does not have puppies? This dog was a lot bigger than my dog. This is also her first time of mating. It is her 2nd time of coming in heat. Today is her 11th day and she is still bleeding. Do you think that the mating took? The male dog was locked onto her and my dog was crying as if she was in pain. Please help me.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Get her to the vet. I am not sure if there is a ''morning after pill for dogs'' I am sure it is common for a female to be injured in accidental matings especially with a larger dog.

Having a dog carries the responsibility to have it spay/neutered or take stringent precautions to prevent accidental breedings. Thanks to neglectful, careless, greedy people, the general public is stuck with the work and expense of caring for dogs without homes. We not only slaughter millions of them a year, many people struggle with problems with poorly bred, poorly cared for dogs.
    mseik Posts: 40, Reputation: 6

Dec 10, 2007, 09:54 AM
    I'm only a dog owner, but I'm going to assume you have leash laws where you live. If your dog was secure I'm not sure how the male got access to her.

If you're not planning on breeding her professionally, then I'm assuming there have been complications that have prevented you from spaying her. If you're going to be spaying her to keep the unwanted throwaway dog population down, how about taking her in to your vet and having her spayed now. That way any possible unwanted pregnancy will be taken care of and you don't have to worry about putting your dog through this again.

Calling your vet would probably be the best thing to do here, yes?
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 01:57 PM
    As Labman said... if you don't want your dog to become pregnant you need to have her spayed to prevent it.

Failure of taking care of your dog can lead to unwanted pregnancies to you or future owners. I adopted a dog from the shelter, had her spaying appt scheduled... she is 2 yrs old and her previous owners didn't have her spayed!. well I took her home, had her about 1-2 weeks, realized she was gaining weight, took her to the vet and found out she was pregnant and due to have puppies in a matter of weeks! So that meant she got pregnant before I even adopted her... now I have 9 puppies because she was too far along for me to risk spaying her. If her previous owners had spayed her, this wouldn't have happened.

I would definitely call your vet asap and get her spayed... that way if she did get pregnant, it would abort the litter, and it would prevent future ones.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2007, 03:56 PM
    I am rather disappointed the second and third posters haven't touched on the possibility of injury. By now, the discharge if any should be largely mucous. If she is still bleeding, she is injuried. You owe it to her to get her to a vet.
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I am rather disappointed the second and third posters haven't touched on the possibility of injury. By now, the discharge if any should be largely mucous. If she is still bleeding, she is injuried. You owe it to her to get her to a vet.
    Well her question was about the morning after pill for a dog, and her post was largely about wondering if the mating "took" and her dog could be pregnant.

You had already confirmed the common sense fact that a big dog could possibly hurt a little dog while mating. I didn't feel the need to touch on that, not many more ways you can say it.

I chose to comment on the basis of her question, which was the possibility of pregnancy.
    dwracing38 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Dec 10, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mseik
    I'm only a dog owner, but I'm going to assume you have leash laws where you live. If your dog was secure I'm not sure how the male got access to her.

If you're not planning on breeding her professionally, then I'm assuming there have been complications that have prevented you from spaying her. If you're going to be spaying her to keep the unwanted throwaway dog population down, how about taking her in to your vet and having her spayed now. That way any possible unwanted pregnancy will be taken care of and you don't have to worry about putting your dog through this again.

Calling your vet would probably be the best thing to do here, yes?

We do not have a leash law where I live. I am planning to take her to the vet. I got her from the pound. I have not had her very long. The pound told me that she was not old enough to come into season. I guess they were wrong.
    Thanks
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2007, 06:30 AM
    Well if you got her from the pound they should have spayed her, or scheduled her to be spayed before releasing her to you.
    If your vet can't get you in quickly to get spayed, I would call the shelter you got the dog from and see if they can spay her.
    mseik Posts: 40, Reputation: 6

Dec 11, 2007, 06:43 AM
    I think it's safe to say we're urging you to take her to your vet ASAP. Not planning or scheduling, but immediately. Pounds, unfortunately, do not always have the knowledge or ethics to give adequate information about your "purchase." They are quite often brokers. Your vet will be the one who can do what's needed to bring your pup to a state of comfort and health.

Please don't delay.
    mexpitlover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Wow this also happened to me.
    This morning I woke up to find a huge mutt in my back yard with my female that just got in heat a few days ago.
    The crazy thing is a dog from the same breed wanted to mate with her the day before and she didn't let him yet the next day a mutt comes along and she lets him.
    Well I went to wal-greens asap and got the plan be pill it was $45.00. I talked to her veternarian and she said its really possible it might work. I'm hoping for the best
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Feb 28, 2009, 10:13 AM

I am seriously worried about the probability that the human "Plan B" will work without side effects. Let me say to begin with that I am not familiar with the drug, so I can't address that. (I will try to find out about it). However, my undergraduate degree is in agricultural animal science with a specialty in reproduction.
    Dog and human reproductive cycles are quite different and involve different combinations of hormones. At one point there was a large animal drug on the market that was widely used off-label as a "morning-after shot". It prevented implantation of the fertilized eggs, but had quite a few side effects and is no longer available as far as I know.
    The human birth control injection Depo-Provera was also used off-label as a contraceptive in dogs. While it did do a good job of preventing pregnancy, it also caused severe uterine infections and uterine and breast cancers.
    My point is to use EXTREME caution in using a drug meant for one species in another. It may well work, but the side effects may be more than you bargained for.
    If this is not going to be a dog used for breeding (thousands of good reasons not to do this--plus in the case of the shelter dog it may void your contract and allow her to be 'repossesed' by the shelter) the best and safest plan is schedule her to be spayed as soon as she goes out of heat.
    flfarmgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2009, 05:41 AM
    There is a morning after pill, but some vets will provide it, some will not due to possible future complications. I am told, that it may render the dog unbreedable in future. That is all I know about it. It may pay to call more than one vet for advice. If you do not plan to breed the dog in future, you may just bite the bullet and have her spayed (and aborted... do it asap). About the injury... wont hurt to have it checked out, for sure.

You know, getting a dog from the pound is a good thing, I have had several. I just rescued one, but like many who end up in the pound, she may be beyond redemption (emotionally) by a non professional. So... where does the average joe get a nice family dog? While it is true that neutering is a good plan... all of my cats are neutered (I planned one litter and kept the kits), I do breed one to two litters of purebred dogs each year. I am not a breeder, do not have a kennel, but have a small farm and have had animals all my life. I vaccinate, worm, and properly care for the pups and sell them, without reg. papers, to people who want a nice, friendly, healthy pet, but do not want to pay a Pro breeder or shudder... a pet shop $500-1,000 for what I can get to them for $250. I make very little on this, but I enjoy it. My breed is a favorite with older folks, I have replaced many loved pets who have passed on from old age. I screen the homes and none go where I am not comfortable with them going. I have a bring it back if you ever can't keep it rule, and dog sit for several of my retired couples' dogs when they vacation. No, my dogs are not show champions, as most breeders advertise and most families don't need. They are pretty, healthy, socially adjusted (not kennel raised), pets that the average joe, who happens to like this breed and may not be up to handling a pound drop off that may have issues, or paying a breeder's outrageous prices for a dog, can afford, love and enjoy. I encourage them to spay their dogs and provide names and addresses of organizations that help.
    That said... those of you that RANT about spaying... yes, it is a major problem, but I don't think the lady in the post sounded like the flagbearer for unwanted dogs. Lighten up and provide the info that she needs to fix the problem, and save the spay speech for the pit bull owners and those who have neglected dogs tied in the back yard or running loose on the streets.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2009, 05:55 AM

I do breed one to two litters of purebred dogs each year. I am not a breeder, do not have a kennel, but have a small farm and have had animals all my life. I vaccinate, worm, and properly care for the pups and sell them, without reg. papers, to people who want a nice, friendly, healthy pet, but do not want to pay a Pro breeder or shudder... a pet shop $500-1,000 for what I can get to them for $250.
    Ouch this post is full of contradictions...

If you allow your dog to breed then you are a breeder, a backyard one at that.

You won't pay $1000 for a dog?

You sell yours for $250?

Glad to see you do genetic testing on your dogs before you flog unhealthy puppies off the unsuspecting buyers :rolleyes:
    The REASON reputable breeders charge so much is because of the extensive testing they do on their dogs before they are bred. Not to mention the fact that the dogs MUST be an excellent example of the breed before you even think about mating them.

That is the reason we urge people to spay their dogs and buy from shelters, to prevent backyard breeders from breeding their poor little Fifi to little Fido and ending up with genetic problems.

This thread is froom 2007 though so it will be closed soon...
    educatedowner Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Sep 27, 2009, 10:12 AM

Well geez, finally someone posted the answer to the original question without a sermon. CLimb off your high horses peeps, accidents happen, or do you keep your dogs locked in cages and puppy mill them out?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Morning after pill [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone I'm 17 and started my periods 2 years ago. I have never had sex but stupidly on Thursday just gone I let a guy finger me the thing is I think he ejaculated on his fingers first before he put them inside me. On Saturday I bought the leveonelle morning after pill and took it, I was due...

Morning after pill [ 13 Answers ]

Should the morning after pill acuse bleeding if you are pregnant

"Morning after" pill for dogs? [ 1 Answers ]

We THOUGHT we took all the necessary precautions to keep our 1 1/2 year old purebred Weimaraner from being bred... needless to say the Sheltie found its way out of a 6' privacy fence and she found her way out of the kennel on the other side of the house. I came home to them being tied in the...

Morning after pill [ 4 Answers ]

How long after taking a morning after pill should I expect my period?

View more questions Search