Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Moose Guy64 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Optimum settings for dual zone heating and air conditioning
    I have a 5000 sqft home with dual natural gas furnaces and AC Units. The main unit covers the basement and main level of the home. And the second unit is installed in the attic above the bedroom level (3rd level). The thermostat for the main unit is in the family room and the thermostat for the second unit is in the master bedroom.

My question is what is the optimum setting for these units to work most efficiently? Should they be set at the same temperature or is there some formula or ratio for this type of configuration? Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Moose
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 9, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Optimum settings will be judged by the owner of the property and there comfort level. It is a personal choice.

Efficiency is determined by the equipment that is used.
    I have three zones and they are all set different for different times of the day. This is determined by a computer program after imput feed back from the zones over a period of two weeks. All it does is save energy by lowering the temperature in the heat cycle to suit my families needs during a twenty four hour period. It also uses a outdoor reset thermostat on the boiler to allow more heat output as the temperature drops. It does the reverse on all three central A/C units in the summer.

If you do not use an area during sometimes of the day lower the temp to save energy. I would also recommend a ramp type stat. IE Honeywell with the adaptive intelligent recovery so the area will ramp up automatically before the desired usage time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual-zone Heating/air Conditioning Problems [ 2 Answers ]

We have been having problems with our dual zone system, operated by two LUX 1500 thermostats. When both systems are on, the temperature in one of the zones (typically upstairs when heat is running, downstairs when airconditioning is running) will exceed the limit for that zone, but the system will...

Dual zone [ 1 Answers ]

The question is if this will substantially raise my pg&e bill. The company that came out diagnosed the problem as the damper is not closing properly, nor sending the air to the right vents. The upstair control is sending some of the air downstairs and a couple upstairs do not work at all. So the...

Dual zone heating [ 1 Answers ]

Tell me the pros and cons of dual zone heating

Dual zone heating and air conditioning [ 3 Answers ]

We are developing plans for a 2500 sq ft bungalow with two distinct zones of 1000 and 1500 sq ft. We would like to control heat and a/c in each zone. We will be using a high efficiency oil furnace for heat installed in the basement. Dual zone systems are not yet common in our area (Eastern...

Dual Zone Heating [ 2 Answers ]

I have forced hot air dual zone heating at my home. When I set the temperature at 70 in the first floor.. The fan is also blowing in my 2nd floor and the temperature increases in the 2nd floor to 70. Where as the thermostat in the second floor is set to 62. I looked at the furnace and saw a...

View more questions Search