Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 8, 2007, 11:16 PM
    Had to say it.name calling. And I'm NOT amused.
    I got a update on this question in my email, and was upset about the posts that were added since this again was a old one... but one dude really got to me by calling Fr.Chuck a wanker... so, I had to say it and don't regret it..

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/teens/...tml#post767664

Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Dec 9, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Chery.Firstly,bad spelling? Yes there is spell check,but people get "excited-emotional" when under stress,and using the keyboard.My spelling can be terrible at times,but I try and check first before posting.Sometimes I do not bother though.
    Secondly,"name calling" helps no one,and only makes the poster look ignorant.There are plenty of rational ways to put a view point across,without "sinking below the depths".A warning is probably in order,then if it happens again,even if they try and "join" via a new user name,and email account,then admin will have to consider a ban.
    AMHD is 99% fine,but the occasional fool will get through I'm afraid.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 9, 2007, 10:43 AM
    Thanks for the reply Nezzie..
    I do a spell check most of the time because my keyboard forgets some vowels and then key in two or three time the same letter- I know I have to adjust my keyboard feature.

What got me was that that 'punk' responded to an old post and called someone a 'wanker' which I don't think is appropriate. I did tell him off though, and it felt good.

You have yourself a good one dear...
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2007, 10:52 AM
    I never did read that original post, Chery, until now. I agree with Fr. Chuck - people should spell, should have good grammar, and make some sense in the post. That way the post is clear to understand and the answers will be more appropriate. The name calling stuff - we see that garbage almost every day on here and it is not right. I report those kind of things and let Admin. Do the rest.

When the posts are that old, could there be a way to close them, so someone 6 months down the road does not answer?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 9, 2007, 11:32 AM
    My fault folks, as I was the moderator, and missed it, sorry. It helps when posts such as these are reported as innapropriate though. I may not know what a wanker is but it doesn't sound flattering. I wanked up.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 9, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Well it actually looks like the poster may have updated it, since the spelling is better now than it was I think.

And beyond spelling some posts are just hard to understand, and if not understood property, hard to answer.

Not sure what a wanker is but if it is a , grumpy old man may be right, but I deleted their posts myself
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Dec 9, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Not sure but I think a "wanker" is a penis or in other words... a d*ck head.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 9, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewilder
    Not sure but I think a "wanker" is a penis or in other words.... a d*ck head.
    That is the british slang word for it, yes. That is why I made such a big deal out of this - it's not appropriate and shows poor character.

Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Dec 9, 2007, 04:05 PM
    It is indeed a slang word,here in the UK.Using it after too much drink,in a club,or bar,can (will),often end up with the "user" in serious trouble.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2007, 10:49 PM
    Wanking is basically slang for masturbating , so therefore used in a derogatory sense when trying to degrade someone. Ie: Wanker!

And well done Chery for giving the "wanker" a bit of a serve :-)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 10, 2007, 01:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by friend4u178
    Wanking is basically slang for masturbating , so therefore used in a derogatory sense when trying to degrade someone. Ie: Wanker!

And well done Chery for giving the "wanker" a bit of a serve :-)
    The times when I tolerated verbal abuse from 'snot-boxes' is over, and I don't let my friends be targets for it either. My cyber family here is just as important as my real family and I have nothing to lose by expressing myself anymore. If I can watch my 'Ps and Qs', then I think others can do the same. The english language is so wonderfully colorful and gives one the opportunity to really express - and it can be done cleanly by brits, canadians and americans. I believe in 'its not what you say, but how you say it'... so, express yourself - people. Let it out, but be aware that I still have that bar of soap with me all the time.

Oh, yeah, I forgot the aussies.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2007, 02:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by friend4u178
    I would just like to add it is usually used in a way to indicate the person is arrogant, conceited, basically in love with themselves.

If something is a 'load of wank' it is rubbish, saying this is considered slightly less offensive than calling someone a wanker which is moderately offensive, depending on context.

Oh dear I think this is the only time I have sworn on here! *blushes*
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 10, 2007, 02:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane
    I would just like to add it is usually used in a way to indicate the person is arrogant, conceited, basically in love with themselves.

If something is a 'load of wank' it is rubbish, saying this is considered slighly less offensive than calling someone a wanker which is moderately offensive, depending on context.

Oh dear I think this is the only time I have sworn on here! *blushes*
    Don't worry about the soap. You were explaining and not expressing..

It goes to show we all know that language like that exists, but we don't find it necessary to utilize - that is what makes us different from those snot-boxes.. oops, one more time and I might use the soap on myself...

I think I need a strong coffee..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who's calling? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been receiving a private call on my phone, how do I unblock the call and final who has been insulting me Moved to own thread Scott<> You should not piggyback your question on someone else's thread.

Cold calling? [ 8 Answers ]

Is cold calling dead? In today's sales world what is the best way to reach prospective clients. Is it OK to walk in unannounced?

Keeps calling. [ 18 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend of 1 and 1/2 years recently broke up. She initially broke up with me, but then came back saying how much she missed me and wanted start things again slow, like dating, but only as friends. After a week of this just friends thing, I told her that we're either exclusive or...

Why is she calling me now [ 5 Answers ]

Just an update haven't seen my ex girlfriend in 3 weeks or talked for 2 weeks. Then she calls Friday to see how I'm doing? And what I've been up too? Didn't call back! On Sunday go to my friends house with a buddy and she is sitting in her driveway. I don't get out of the car. We leave and I had a...

View more questions Search