Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gspot Posts: 12, Reputation: -1

Dec 8, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Charged with a Felonious Assault with a deadly weapon. Trial on Monday
    I have had a history with my child's fathers wife. She hates me and I don't know why. I have had to call the police on her several times. I have the reports where she has harassed me and tried to attack me. She attacked me from behind by pulling my hair and trying to fight me one night while I was drunk. I ran and called the police but the phone was broken. But there is a log of a call being made at that time and location. The next day I went to her home to talk about the matter. I had an ax with me just in case she tried to attack me I would be able to fend her off. When I said I was going over there my boyfriend came with me. He went up to the door and my daughters father invited him in. He told me to stay in the car. So I did. I thought that she was in the house talking to my boyfriend and child's father. Well she wasn't. She pulled up to the house while they were in the house and started toward my car yelling for me to get away from her house. I got out of my car with the ax in hopes that it would deter her from any further confrontation and asked what her problem was. She flenched at me and her 15 year old son jumped in my face. I raised the ax and told them to get back. My boyfriend grabbed the ax out of my hand and she came at me and we fought. She got me on the ground and would not stop fighting. When they broke it up I told her this needs to be the end. Well it wasn't she is pressing charges to the fullest extent and saying that I said I was going to kill her and I swung the ax at her. I have a good lawyer and he states I have a case that he will fight and argue. However if I loose I could go to prison and loose my career. I have been a Social Worker for 16 years and I have a child. If I plead it will be to something that I know I didn't do. The police reports says that I stated that I wish I had used the ax. I said that because they lied and said I swung to hit her and I didn't I had no intention of connecting I just wanted her to back off. What do you think my chances of winning are? Or should I give up. I would also like to mention that I am a christian and have turned my life over to the Lord and I am believing in him for a deliverance.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Hello Christian:

Yeah, a lot of people find God after they get busted.

You went over there with an ax to cause trouble. You did. I think you're guilty. I know you say you only had the ax to "fend her off". Then you got out of the car with the ax in the hopes that it would "deter" a confrontation?? Really?? Are you serious?? You don't think it CAUSED the confrontation?? The jury will. You're guilty.

They have church in the slam for Christian criminals.

excon
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 8, 2007, 07:03 PM
    I have to totally agree with Excon!!

I also wonder if you have submitted to a mental health exam. It seems as though you have ideals that are not quite in proportion with reality.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2007, 07:09 PM
    Yep, don't go for a jury trial for sure, he minute you took the axe with you in the car, you became quity in 99 perrcent of everyone's eyes no matter how it may have happened when you got there.

You knew she was trouble and yet you still went to see her, if she is trouble, you get a restraining order and don't ever go near her.

And the drinking part the night before does not help a lot. Personly I would guess the social work carrerr is over at this point almost no matter what happens in court, records of drinking, taking a axe and fighting, even if not found guilty of the actual charge would normally end most carrerrs in government service.

And as a Christian you know it is an obligtation to pay our dues for our actions to the state, some of the best and strongest christians were in prison when they wrote most of the new testement.
    And don't expect the finding religion to help in court, they see that every day,

Personally it looks like a tough case, was there not a good plea bargain offered ?

Dec 8, 2007, 07:21 PM
    I appreciate the answers. I am wondering if aggrevated menecing would be better. I maybe able to get a plea to that.
    Expert

Dec 8, 2007, 07:24 PM
    Seriously, have you had a mental evaluation? I'm not joking, nor am I being judgmental, but from a mental health standpoint (I specialize in mental health as well as women's health) it seems like you and/or your case may benefit from a mental eval.

Dec 8, 2007, 07:59 PM
    I am seeing a therapist through my job, but nothing serious. I was thinking I might need some help. Because I just lost it when that girl attacked me and I snapped. This is so out of my character. I have always been a Christian for the ones who think this is because I am in trouble. That has just brought me closer. And no matter what happens I am a strong woman and I will rise. I am not a dummy. I am in a Masters program for Management and I am a wonderful person. This is just a situation that has been in the works for 8 years and I have had a restraining order on her and as soon as the 5 years were up here she is again.
    KravJeff Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Dec 8, 2007, 08:25 PM
    As a social worker of 16 years and a parent (and presumably an adult), you should have known better. Your degree's don't qualify for common sense - As a fellow Christian my prayers are with you, but it's time to accept the fact that you were wrong, you did something stupid and that in spite of being "a wonderful person" you made a horrible error in judgement that was premeditated. An axe? If nothing else, why not a flashlight or something a little less menacing (like an uzi!)?

Do your time and repent.

Good luck.

Nice name by the way :)
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2007, 10:46 PM
    I read all this you posted and I do think you know why this woman hates you. You left out all the previous history with her and that surely would tell the tale. You had intent, you had premeditation, you had a weapon, and you were there and there are witnesses to prove all that.

If you get to keep your Social Work license after all this I would be appalled at your Social Work board. It looks more like you will be making license plates.

Just for the sake of asking, how do you believe the Lord will deliver you out from these charges pending against you? The Lord loves you, that is true, but he loved King David too and still that man had to pay the penalty for disobedience.

Dec 9, 2007, 05:33 PM
    I tell you there are a lot of people who the law has not been fair too, on this site. I don't have a problem with admitting to what I did and taking the punsihment. But the issue is I did not swing the ax to hit her with it. I would never hit some one with an ax for the fear that I would kill them and go to jail. I did not do that. I was wrong for being there and fighting her but she is blowing the situation up. Because I told her I was going to sue her the night before. So this woman has reason to lie and there is reasonable dought. I am not praying to get off scott free. However I want a fighting chance for the one in the heat of the moment mistake. And I will keep my Social Work License, because I am very good at what I do. We all have problems and make mistakes. It is a matter of addressing them and making changes not to make any more. I will refuse to wallow in guilt and anything is possible with GOD and please don't any of you foreget that. I hope that after this I will be able to testify to all who will hear that GOD is on TIME>
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 9, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gspot
    But the issue is I did not swing the ax to hit her with it. I would never hit some one with an ax for the fear that I would kill them and go to jail.
    Sorry lady, but no one takes a weapon to a confrontation unless they are prepared to use it. And no judge nor jury will believe the above because of that.

I don't know what will happen to you, but this is a screwed up mess you have gotten yourself and you will be lucky to get out of it without going to jail.
    Expert

Dec 9, 2007, 06:05 PM
    But the issue is I did not swing the ax to hit her with it.
    The issue is is that you took the ax. Period. This shows premeditation.

I would never hit some one with an ax for the fear that I would kill them and go to jail.
    Then you shouldn't have taken it with you, again it shows premeditation. And you should go to jail for what you did.

I was wrong for being there and fighting her but she is blowing the situation up.
    You should not have been there in the first place.

However I want a fighting chance for the one in the heat of the moment mistake.
    How do we know there will not be another? You see, you have admitted there was a past between the two of you. How does anyone know that next time it won't be a firearm and someone will get killed?

You, my dear, seem to have anger issues. You also should not be drinking in front of the children...

You are a social worker? Hmmm, what would you do if one of the families you were investigating were in this situation? Would you just chalk it up to anger and say "Oh well, they have been drinking?" Or would you remove the children from the dangerous hostile environment?

The state you live in should take your license away. You cannot control your own life, how can you control the lives of others? Not to mention the innocent children. Your child should be taken from you because of these actions.

I'm sorry, but it's time to pay the piper. Be responsible for your actions and stop making excuses.

Dec 9, 2007, 08:00 PM
    I think you all are crazy loosers who need to get a life and stay off the internet so much. How lame to think that all social workers work with children. I will not go to jail, because I am too blessed to be stressed about what you lames are saying. Get lives and get off the internet. Get out and socialize with real people. I know I will. As for my child I have never abused my child. You people obviously have condemnation and judgemental problems. I would not be throwing stones. If you have kids they should be taken because you are a sicko internet perve. Spend time with your families( Oh you probably don't have one), read the bible, go to church and stop living in a answer chat room. And stop giving people horrible advice. At first I was listening to people and thought I should give up, but you creeks are creepy. I am glad that you all are not in any position of power over others lives. Judge and you too will surely be Judged. We all will have to face our sins. Remember Forgiveness is a commandment under the new testament. And the next time I maybe the person who is killed so thanks for the vote of confidence. You people are too crazy weird for me. I should have not even come to this web site. I really need to watch the choices that I make. It is good that I am a work in progress and God is not done with me yet.

Dec 9, 2007, 08:19 PM
    Lady, you are so in denial its appalling. Instead of trying to deal with the very good advice you have been getting, you lash out at the people who have tried to help you.

You have no clue as to how much time we spend on the Net or even on this site. I can tell you that, what time we do spend, we spend to try and help people. Sometimes that help can be harsh and not what the person wants to hear, but we try to give the help that was necessary.

You went to confront someone you have fought with an axe for god sakes! That speaks of a violence that needs to be dealt with. If you think your insulting tirade makes us feel any remorse, its only for trying to help someone who really didn't want help, but just wanted someone to tell them what they wanted to hear.

Dec 9, 2007, 08:45 PM
    You all have way too many post to not stay on this line in the 15,000?? Now lets talk about what the evidence shows.

Thank you all for nothing and a lot of smart talk. Nothing sincere until you are called out for your behavior.

Dec 9, 2007, 08:53 PM
    Yes I have almost 16K posts, but that's over almost 5 years. That averages to less than 9 posts a day. Not that I'm counting. I'm proud of the contribution I've made to this site. I stand by everything I've said here with no regrets.

Dec 9, 2007, 10:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    The issue is is that you took the ax. Period. This shows premeditation. I kept the ax in my car as a deterant I live in a very violent town and sometimes go into drug infested neighborhoods with a computer and a nice car. A 2007. And I am not a fighter. Thank you very much

Then you shouldn't have taken it with you, again it shows premeditation. And you should go to jail for what you did. I am so sorry to hear you say that. However if you knew me and the alleged victim you would say otherwise. I am the one afraid of her. You would want a weopon on you as well if you had to face a demon.

You should not have been there in the first place. I have a child to think about this is her step mother and her fathers home that I sat in front of for 30 minutes waiting on my boyfriend to come out of the house. He was talking to my childs father about the problems me and his wife were have to settle them. I had no ideal that she was not in the home.

How do we know there will not be another? You see, you have admitted there was a past between the two of you. How does anyone know that next time it won't be a firearm and someone will get killed? Yeah and the person to get killed will be me or my child. This woman is really mad because they have to pay me child support and if my childs father doesn't pay he will go to prison. I have written a letter to the courts before this incident that I feared for our lives. And I still do. If I have to go to prison I will make sure that they know my child is in grave danger.

You, my dear, seem to have anger issues. You also should not be drinking in front of the children..... for one I have no anger issues that is why this woman has been attacking me and I have not fought back once, but called the police for 8 years. Not to mention my child was not around when I was at my 20 yr class reunion celebrating. It is obvious that you don't know me but if you ever met me my light would shine so bright you would need shades.

You are a social worker? Hmmm, what would you do if one of the families you were investigating were in this situation? Would you just chalk it up to anger and say "Oh well, they have been drinking?" Or would you remove the children from the dangerous hostile environment? You are really lame. I no longer work for Children Services but I did for 10 years. I don't agree with taking children all the time and I have children and parents, to this day ,that respect the work that I did to keep their families together or placed their children in good homes. I get graduation notices and a lot of love from people I worked with because I was not so bitter. It is not always the answer to cause more strife than neccessary. I have never once spanked my child in the 11 years that she has been alive. I take care of her, she is in gifted class. Honor roll and I have done all of this with out the help of her father. I am the sweetest person you ever did meet and I love all people. I love you and the woman that has been attacking me. People say that I am too loving and forgiving ,and you would do good to have some of that in you as well. I am truley sorry to hear that you have had some health issues. I am sure that would make anyone sarcastic and want to think that all should suffer as they have suffered. I truly have compassion for your situation. I hope you have finished nursing school and everything is well. Bless you in that aspect of you life and I really mean that.

The state you live in should take your license away. You cannot control your own life, how can you control the lives of others? Not to mention the innocent children. Your child should be taken from you because of these actions. I know that is just the bitterness in your life comming out and I foregive you. I don't take children anymore I more or less and in a more administrative postion. Maybe over someone like you an RN

I'm sorry, but it's time to pay the piper. Be responsible for your actions and stop making excuses.
    I have no excuses I have only the truth of the matters at hand and a good Lawyer. I will pray for you.

I really hate to have to break down every last compound to your answers, but they don't make me happy. A little advice If you are going to be an RN work on your bedside manner. And work on the way you speak and deal with others that are seeking advice. I am sure that you are not getting paid to be nasty to people. There is always a nice way to put everything. So please remember this. I will not be on this line anymore but I hope that you people and yourself take heed to what I have said.:cool:

Dec 9, 2007, 11:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Yes I have almost 16K posts, but that's over almost 5 years. That averages to less than 9 posts a day. Not that I'm counting. I'm proud of the contribution I've made to this site. I stand by everything I've said here with no regrets.
    You know I am glad that you stand for your comments and I don't think I was just directing my answers to you. I am very sorry that I hit a nerve. That is the last thing that I wanted to do. I am really a nice person. I just got into a situation where I only saw one way out. I have taken the proper steps in the past and done things by the law and it has not worked to protect me and my child. So I did the next best thing, I fought back. I am not a fighter so I did not know what else to do. I thought that a weapon would deter someone. I know it would deter me.:)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2007, 05:01 AM
    Hello again, g:

Say hello to Bubba.

excon

Dec 11, 2007, 11:36 AM
    You know I am glad that you stand for your comments and I don't think I was just directing my answers to you. I am very sorry that I hit a nerve. That is the last thing that I wanted to do. I am really a nice person. I just got into a situation where I only saw one way out. I have taken the proper steps in the past and done things by the law and it has not worked to protect me and my child. So I did the next best thing, I fought back. I am not a fighter so I did not know what else to do. I thought that a weapon would deter someone. I know it would deter me.:)
    I didn't think you were directing your comments only at me, but my responses were valid in any case.

We have heeded what you have said and I, for one, don't see anything that was done wrong. Sometimes the responses have to be harsh to get through to people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The seven deadly sins. [ 7 Answers ]

I'm doing a clay model of the seven deadly sins, and I'm going to make one body; each body part will represent one of the sins. Like, ill use a sloth's arm for Sloth, a pig's body for Gluttony, probably a man's head for Lust (Man is the most lustful creature I can think of) and so on. I'm having...

Rights to a speedy trial and can they keep your legally obtained money until the trial? [ 5 Answers ]

15 months ago the APD(Albany Police Department in Oregon) served a search warrant at our home. We had just gotten a settlement from a major motorcycle wreck my other half was in and had cash in our home. We have documents to prove we had just gotten this money 6 days prior to the search warrant....

Assult with a deadly weapon [ 2 Answers ]

Can an investigator for the defendants attorney call the plaintiff and ask questions before it goes to court?

Trial set for Monday- Was misled by ATTORNEY-Wasn't expecting it this soon! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. This is a LONG story so I will spare you the details. Long story short, I have been dealing with a Public Defender for about a month or so. When I was in jail for a 2nd DWI, my court date was scheduled for the `14th of June. I was about to bond out and hire a...

I'm just a felonious dude [ 5 Answers ]

Hello nannystaters: I participate in on-line poker. As of June 7, my poker playing activities will become a felony. The head of the state gambling commission, however, said that it is unlikely that individual gamblers will be targeted. Yeah right! (1) Do you believe the head gambling cop?...

View more questions Search