Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 05:10 PM
    TAX Advice
    Hello All,

This was one of the topics of discussion at the family dinner table tonight and I thought it would be a good thing to pass along to all of you.

The question is: Is it better to receive a tax refund or not? Would you rather send the Government more money in April or find out you are getting money back?

The best answer here would be to have to pay more money.

Why? Because if you are getting a tax refund, that means you have overpaid your taxes. You lost out on money which you could have used to earn interest or whatever.

However,
    If you have troubles managing your money or are deeply in debt and might be tempted to spend it, then perhaps it is better to be getting a tax refund since this way you won't default on the money you owe the government.

But,
    If you are responsible with money, then it is better not to be getting a tax refund and instead, have your employer take off the minimum amount required by law and finance the money so you can invest the extra money and earn interest on it. Even if you were to just let it sit in the bank, that would still be a better choice.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 13, 2005, 11:57 PM
    Captain Forest:

From a financial management viewpoint, it is always better to pay as much as possible without penalty on April 15th rather than receive any refunds, for the reasons you noted below.

However, most people get a psychological lift from receiving a substantial tax refund, even if they know it is their money to begin with. It allows them to plan for the use of that money (pay off Xmas bills, use it to fund a vacation, fund their IRA, pay off an exceptionally large and often unexpected bill, whatever). I have given up trying to convince most of them to adjust their withholding so that they would write a check.
    steamengine2004 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2006, 07:27 AM
    Comment on AtlantaTaxExpert's post
    Answer is to the point

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advice on Giving Advice [ 16 Answers ]

Hey all! I have a slight dilemna and I'd like it if you guys and gals can help me out. I have two friends who are in a relationship together, but things have become kind of rocky between them. The problem is that they are both my friends so they both confide in me and ask for advice. At present...

I need advice... [ 9 Answers ]

I want my ex boyfriend back... we went out for a year... we broke up... because so much was wrong... we were fighting heaps you know... Its taken me half a year to realise I still really love him... he said I mean more to him than anyone else... because we lost our virginity to each other... ...

I need advice [ 15 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I am 17 years old. There's this 15 year old girl that love soooo much.We known each other for 1 and a half years now. She is a shyish girl with few friends, who reads a lot.She plays with her hair sometimes(only around me I noticed). She found out that I liked her during winter break...

Advice [ 4 Answers ]

I'm currently enrolled at the University of Iowa as an accoutning student. In grad school I will be getting a joint law degree with a masters in accounting because I want to be a tax attorney. Any advice on what else I should do outside of my basic course of action?

Advice please [ 9 Answers ]

I saw my ex girlfriend (2 yr relationship) for the first time since we broke up (4 months ago) at a mates party the other night. I played it pretty cool and wasn't needy or anything. She seemed like she wanted to talk to me and I noticed her looking at me a few times when I was talking to another...

View more questions Search