Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sfranzen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2007, 06:50 AM
    Root canal
    I am on antibiotics for a root canal that is infected, it still swells and is uncomfortacle when I lay down at night. I had it exrayed , it wasn't cracked looked good, but is it bad since it won't get better at night. I have a temporary crown on it and when it swells is hits my bottom teeth is that making it inflamed?Help I want to keep my tooth. How long can I wait before it should be pulled to make sure it needs to be. I am finished with the antobiotics in four days. Thanks
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Sounds like it might be abscessed and the antibiotics should help.
    Check with the dentist/doctor to see if it would be okay to take Tylenol or if they will give you a prescription for pain or if you need to go in and be checked again.
    When you are done with the antibiotics it would be good to take probiotics or eat yogurt to replace the good bacteria.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Take some Ibuprofen (Advil) as well as your antibiotics. Advil will work as an anti-inflammatory which should help when you lie down. Take 1-2 tablets every 4 hours (as long as you aren't allergic to Ibuprofen).

An x-ray won't usually show a crack. Did the x-ray show an infection at the tip of the root?

How long ago was the root canal done? Was it done on a molar, bicuspid or front tooth? If it was done on anything but a front tooth there may be an extra "auxillary" canal that is causing the tooth to remain infected. You may want to see an endodontist (a dentist who specializes in root canals) before you decide whether to have the tooth removed.

Whatever you do, don't have your temporary crown replaced with the permanent one until the infection is taken care of.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Root Canal Problem [ 8 Answers ]

After five years of 3 different re-constructions on a cracked/ decayed big back tooth, the nerve started to die (v.painful) and has been removed. I now have a temp filling and am awaiting full root canal treatment in a few (6) weeks. When I had temp filling it gave me a disgusting rotting food...

Root canal [ 15 Answers ]

Hi I had a root canal and the tooth needs a crown, but I am petrified of the dentist. The tooth never had pain until the dentist touched my tooth two years ago. Now the tooth has pain every now and then. The other night that same tooth had pain, but the pain was gone in the morning. The next...

Root Canal [ 1 Answers ]

I have a root canaled tooth, #11, that is bothering me. I have had it for over 6 years. I got it xrayed and it showed that the post had fractured the tooth above the gumline. I was not given a choice of options on this, only to extract it. I don't want to do this. I know it can be saved somehow....

Root canal perforation [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I want to ask a lot of question about the root canal perforation! Like What's the meaning of root perfoation? Causes ? Tratment? How to avoid root perforation ?

Root canal problem [ 2 Answers ]

I had my root canal last 2004 and we all know that once a tooth underwent a rootcanal.. its already dead... so now.. my problem is its bleeding and it causes me bad breath.. :eek: :p :( nweiz, I've been brushing my teeth anytime I smell my bad breath.. lol.. and yeah every time I brush my teeth my...

View more questions Search