Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 11:48 AM
    No password cookies?
    For the last couple of days, I have been unable to save any password cookies. For example, every time I come to this site, I am asked to sign in, even though when I do sign in I have the "remember me" box checked off. I'm having similar problems on other sites that usually remember my username/password, such as gmail, Yahoo, etc.

I am using IE6 as my browser. I checked the privacy tab in Internet Options, and even though I set it to the lowest setting possible (accept all cookies), I still can't seem to save any passwords. P lus I don't feel comfortable having such a low privacy setting anyway!

My computer was infected with 3 viruses / spyware this week and has been healed but maybe there is some permanent damage to IE6, or it hasn't been healed as well as I thought? I have SpyBot, Ad Aware, and AVG and they all say the computer is uninfected.

I'm thinking about either reinstalling IE6, or switching to Firefox... I have that on my computer at work and it seems to be so much better. In any event, I would appreciate any advice or suggestions... thanks so much!
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2005, 08:41 PM
    No suggestions? LOL. Anyway I think I solved the problem on my own. In case anyone has a similar problem, I did a reboot, and deleted the entire contents of my temporary internet folders. And I switched to Firefox. So far everything seems to be working fine. :)
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2005, 03:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    I am asked to sign in, even though when I do sign in I have the "remember me" box checked off.
    You mean on right? Off = no tick. That means that you're asking it not to save any passwords.

Well I'll try and answer even though you seem to have sorted it. Stick with Firefox, it's far better than IE.

Do you have any bits of software that might be removing cookies? Internet presence cleaners that run every time you shutdown etc.

Also something to check. Open IE. Click on Tools >> Internet Options >> Privacy >> Advanced.

Make sure the that "Override cookie handling" checkbox is unchecked.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2005, 07:09 AM
    Auto complete
    Hi,
    Check your Auto Complete settings by:
    At any site, click on Tools at the top, then click on Internet Options.
    Click on the Content tab at top of that window.
    Click on the Auto Complete button.
    Then, left click on "Web Addresses", and "User Names and Passords", to put a checkmark by them. Click on Apply, and OK.
    You should be good to go... Best of luck.
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2005, 07:34 AM
    I don't think that will do anything Fred. That's not related to cookies.
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2005, 07:42 AM
    Password Cookies
    Hi,
    Thanks for the info.
    But, if orange is trying to get the ID and Password to be remembered, at any website, by clicking on the "remember password and ID", then the settings in Internet Explorer's Auto Complete could have been uncheck somehow by windows.
    It's happened to my own computer before. By going back to the Auto Complete section and re-checking the boxes, it worked again.
    Just a try at helping.
    Have a great day.
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2005, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LTheobald
    You mean on right? Off = no tick. That means that you're asking it not to save any passwords.
    Yes I meant that it was ticked ON. Thanks for the correction. And thanks for your suggestions, which I really appreciate and will try if I go back to IE. I doubt I will though, because Firefox seems so superior!

Thanks fredg too... I didn't know about the Auto complete feature in IE. I will remember to try it sometime. But like I just said, I am now using Firefox and really enjoying it! :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2005, 03:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    Thanks for the info.
    But, if orange is trying to get the ID and Password to be remembered, at any website, by clicking on the "remember password and ID", then the settings in Internet Explorer's Auto Complete could have been uncheck somehow by windows.
    It's happened to my own computer before. By going back to the Auto Complete section and re-checking the boxes, it worked again.
    Just a try at helping.
    Have a great day.
    That's still something different Fred. The problem is that when going to site's like this - he has to log in every time. What should happen is that it stores a cookie so that when he comes back the web page checks the cookie and gets the login information from that.

AutoComplete is just what is contained in the username/password box. Orange probably has autocomplete on and is seeing his username in the input box every time - but he shouldn't even be seeing that login box. He should already be logged in.

Sorry for sounding so negative but going down that route is just a red herring.
    Ultra Member

Dec 16, 2005, 05:07 AM
    Same thing
    Hi, LT,
    We are talking about the same thing.
    Orange said he had not looked at the Auto Complete button, to see if he had check marks by what I suggested.
    Using Auto Complete does exactly what you are talking about.
    When I come to this site, I am already logged in, with no ID and password box showing.
    If I uncheck the "User names and passwords", under the path I gave, then I have to log back on, using the ID and password, when coming back to this site.
    Also, Yahoo and any other site frequently visited will not remember me, with all this unchecked.
    I might also mention that if one logs out, then when they go back to the same site, the ID and password boxes do appear. Then, typing in the first letter or two in the ID box will bring up the ID name, in a drop down window, to click on and log on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cricket cookies [ 21 Answers ]

I have decided to start eating bugs. Here is a great recipe for cricket cookies. Try it... you will like it! Have a tooth pick handy as their hind legs do get stuck in your teeth. I am looking for recipies using worms. If anyone has any please let me know. I am looking for the recipe that uses deep...

Cookies [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a page where I can find out who owns the cookies that keep appearing when I do scan?? Toydajo

Cleaning Cookies [ 9 Answers ]

How do u clean up all those websites that show up on the cookies in from your PC.

Enabling cookies [ 1 Answers ]

How do I enable cookies for internet explorer 5

View more questions Search