Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 05:07 AM
    "Disapproval" Ratings
    Hi,
    This question is not whether you like the ratings system, but rather, how do you use it?

ScottGem and SESaskDFC use "disapproval" ratings, to show their concern over either a bad answer, incorrect answer, or their opinion on an answer.

I have observed that most members here at this site are very polite, and act in that manner. If they disagree with an answer, they do a post, stating why they disagree, not using a "disapproval" rating. Some of us even give an "approval" rating, using comments to say why we disagree.

In your opinion, which method do you prefer? Either the ScottGem and SESaskDFC method, or the other method?
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 13, 2005, 05:12 AM
    I much rather prefer the polite method. Now there may be times where someone needs to disapprove me straight out. But to do it just because I have a different opinion than them is hogwash.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2005, 05:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    In your opinion, which method do you prefer? Either the ScottGem and SESaskDFC method, or the more polite method?
    The wording of your question somewhat leads the reader don't you think?
    A Disapproval should indeed warn the asker of a bad answer that may lead the asker astray in his/her search for an answer. Of course it can be done politely. Differing opinions can be expressed as add-on posts to the thread. I also view a Disapproval rating as correct when the answer is immoral, unethical, or offensive.
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 05:47 AM
    Comment on nymphetamine's post
    Thank you for your comments.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 05:49 AM
    This is difficult - once again it's a matter of opinion and everyone has their own way of doing things.

Ok I myself would like to think that if I am being out of order or wrong then people would point it out in a polite manner - but if they did use the rep system then I would not really be too bothered; because I am here to try and help people the best way I can with my experience not to win points or compete with others.

No one is obliged to take my advice or even like my advice - but if they do and it helps them, then it brings a smile to my face.
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 05:49 AM
    Comments
    Thank you, NeedKarma, for your comments. Got the "pass around reputation..." when trying to give "approval".
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 05:53 AM
    ScottGem and SESaskDFC use "disapproval" ratings, to show their concern over either a bad answer, incorrect answer, or their opinion on an answer.
    I feel that is totally acceptable and how it should be.

Let's take some very basic examples shall we.

Example 1
    Joe Bloggs has a problem and posts on the board.
    Mr XYZ comes back and says "pour water into your PC to clean it out".
    Mr ABC writes a post disagreeing.

Problem: Joe Bloggs could just read this one post and stop to go try it - ignoring further posts. If this happens well he's just gone and electrocuted himself and we have a possible murder on our hands.

Example 2
    Joe Bloggs has a problem and posts on the board.
    Mr XYZ comes back and says "pour water into your PC to clean it out".
    Mr ABC writes a disagree comment, posting his suggestion in his own post.

This time Joe Bloggs can't help but seeing that the suggestion he was about to follow has been doubted.

Also, posts can get buried and lost at time. A person trying to disagree could be posting at the same time as 5 other people. His disagreement would get totally buried and might even not make sense with 5 posts in between it and the one it was answering.

So I say use dissaproval comments. They are a good idea. I'm sorry it takes down your reputation but that is an extremely useful guide for readers.

Also Fred, I'd like to turn this around. You sometimes post comments on threads that I wouldn't call agreement or disagreement comments. Posting "Thank you for you comments" is neither an aggrement or disagreement. You can say thanks but still disagree. At least Scott's comments are actual disagreements.
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 06:26 AM
    Guys this is really silly - no one wants to see world war 3 break out! Can we all not just live by the: agree to disagree rule.
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 06:30 AM
    Ignore H, I say...

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!

Just kidding. This "bickering" isn't that constructive.

I think the whole problem here is how (as Scott has mentioned in other posts) the rating system and the reputation system are linked. We should be able to disagree with a post but it would probably be best if it did not affect your reputation (although if this got implemented, what would affects your reputation?)
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 13, 2005, 06:36 AM
    Silly, rabbits. Caint we all jest git along little doggie?
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 06:47 AM
    Thank you
    Hi,
    An "approval" rating of "Thank you for your comments" means just that; thank you for taking the time to read all this, and add your comment!
    Nothing more, nothing less.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 13, 2005, 07:00 AM
    Comment on LTheobald's post
    Exactly my feelings. Well stated!

Dec 13, 2005, 07:00 AM
    Comment on NeedKarma's post
    Very good points. A leading question indeed!

Dec 13, 2005, 07:09 AM
    Hi,
    This question is not whether you like the ratings system, but rather, how do you use it?

I have observed that most members here at this site are very polite, and act in that manner. If they disagree with an answer, they do a post, stating why they disagree, not using a "disapproval" rating. Some of us even give an "approval" rating, using comments to say why we disagree.

In your opinion, which method do you prefer? Either the ScottGem and SESaskDFC method, or the more polite method?
    The one drawback to your post here is why are they mutually exclusive? Why is a disapproval rating automatically impolite? Following is the disapproval I gave you about the DMCA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottgem
    ScottGem disagrees: You should read the links provided by others before you pass along erroneous info.
    Was this impolite? It may have been harsh but I don't think it impolite.

The real answer was provided by LT. The value of adding a rating is that it appears within the note itself. This way the asker can't miss it. Adding a note later on on the thread, might be missed by the asker. So your question should have been,

Which is better, adding a comment within the answer or adding a comment later in the thread?

I've already given my answer to that question. I dispute that using disapproval ratings is, by nature, impolite. I also resent the implication that I am not a polite person. Generally I post answers in response to someone's post. If their post was polite, I am polite in return. If they are rude, I may react rudely.
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 07:33 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    I agree. Something --> HERE <-- is easy to see, take in and take action on
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 07:37 AM
    Guys - you are both going round in circles - can you not just accept you both have different opinions (which are both entitled to) and perhaps accept there may be a bit of a personality clash here.

It's great to see you both standing up for what you believe in and it's also great to see that you both have different ideas - just remember that everyone is different and this what makes us all unique and so interesting. If we all shared the same views and were the same life would be so plain and boring.

It's all about compromise.
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 07:43 AM
    Very Correct
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ 'H'
    Guys - you are both going round in cicles - can you not just accept you both have different opinions (which are both entitled to) and perhaps accept there may be a bit of a personality clash here.

It's great to see you both standing up for what you believe in and it's also great to see that you both have different ideas - just remember that everyone is different and this what makes us all unique and so interesting. If we all shared the same views and were the same life would be so plain and boring.
    Great answer!!
    You are absolutely right, we both are completely different personalities, with different views on most everything.
    Your post is a great place to end this. Thank you.

Dec 13, 2005, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ 'H'
    Guys - you are both going round in cicles - can you not just accept you both have different opinions (which are both entitled to) and perhaps accept there may be a bit of a personality clash here.
    Hi DJ,
    Unfortunately this has been going on for several years now over several sites. There is clearly a personality clash here. But if it was just a personality clash it probably would have ended long ago.

I have always respected that other people can have different opinions. But I deal in the technical areas where there are right and wrong answers. If I post an incorrect answer, I want it corrected. To me its more important that the asker get the correct answer. I will thank the person making the correction (assuming it's a valid correction). However, when I have had to correct Fred's erroneous answers, I have been attacked and vilified for it by him. I don't want to dredge up the past again, but I would be willing to supply details privately if you are interested.

Scott<>
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 13, 2005, 11:02 AM
    Hasn't this already been covered Here ?

Dec 13, 2005, 11:23 AM
    "It's not what happens to me today; It's all in how I react to it"..... .
    Interesting signature quote. So what happened to you yesterday was I disapproved of an answer you posted. So how did you react? You looked for an answer of mine you could disagree with.

I'm just wondering what how you think that reflects on you.

I just want to reiterate that I have tried to end this several times. But that you always revive it by reacting badly to my correcting a mistake you make.

Scott<>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

"ED" (Pronounced "Ayed") [ 4 Answers ]

Further comment re Morganite's comment in the initial discussion of the "ED":i.e., "The altar was built on Jordan's West Bank (some say on the East Bank)." I was reading an article recently that stated that archeologists searched for some time on the "East Bank" for the "ED" -- to no avail. ...

View more questions Search