Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 13, 2005, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Hasn't this already been covered Here ??
    I think comments out in the open are a lot more legitimate, therefore preventing people from stating things like 'dumb', 'stupid' etc in the background without anyone else seeing it. This also tends to make people give a valid reason for their disapproval. Again, it's not what you way, but how you say it. And there will always be a few who have their differences, as in every family. Even siblings have their disputes without killing each other. As a matter of fact, I will honestly state that I did retaliate once towards one of labman's belligerent remarks and don't regret it at all - if you would have read it in the open you would have objected too, because I did state to violette at the time that I was no MAC expert but thought the basic idea of transferring/mailing from one email to another to transfer your favorites was the same. My gosh, I showed that I was a human and prone to err now and then.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 12:17 PM
    Comment on DJ 'H''s post
    I agree with you on this 100%
    Roel Zylstra Posts: 84, Reputation: 14
    Tech entrepreneur, perpetual student,lover of life

Dec 13, 2005, 02:36 PM
    Comment on LTheobald's post
    Yep, the ScottGem and SESaskDFC way is the way to do it.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2005, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    This question is not whether you like the ratings system, but rather, how do you use it?

ScottGem and SESaskDFC use "disapproval" ratings, to show their concern over either a bad answer, incorrect answer, or their opinion on an answer.

I have observed that most members here at this site are very polite, and act in that manner. If they disagree with an answer, they do a post, stating why they disagree, not using a "disapproval" rating. Some of us even give an "approval" rating, using comments to say why we disagree.

In your opinion, which method do you prefer? Either the ScottGem and SESaskDFC method, or the other method?
    I agree with you, Fred. If one disagrees with another poster's comments, it is better to post their own reply and address the issues with which they disagree or send the poster a private message. I don't feel that it's necessary or very kind to just give a 'disapproval' rating when you disagree with something. The most active topics on this forum are also the most opinionated ones and touch on subjects that people are going to feel very strongly about. However, regardless of how strongly one may feel about a certain topic, someone is bound to have a different opinion and their's is just as valid for them as your's is for you. That's not to say that your's is right or wrong or that the other person's is right or wrong. Nor is it something to take personally when someone disagrees with you. The important thing is to disagree without being disagreeable and that's something that I feel very strongly about.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 15, 2005, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    I agree with you, Fred. If one disagrees with another poster's comments, it is better to post their own reply and address the issues with which they disagree or send the poster a private message. I don't feel that it's necessary or very kind to just give a 'disapproval' rating when you disagree with something. The most active topics on this forum are also the most opinionated ones and touch on subjects that people are going to feel very strongly about. However, regardless of how strongly one may feel about a certain topic, someone is bound to have a different opinion and their's is just as valid for them as your's is for you. That's not to say that your's is right or wrong or that the other person's is right or wrong. Nor is it something to take personally when someone disagrees with you. The important thing is to disagree without being disagreeable and that's something that I feel very strongly about.
    I'm afraid I have to disagree with you ;) Seriously, I do agree with you to a point. As you point out the most active topics are the ones where the topics are one of opinions. In many of those topics there is no right or wrong answer, just different approaches and opinions. In such a topic it would be wrong to give a disapproval rating. Such topics are really discussions and its better to offer your own views in another post.

But not every topic is like that. There are technical topics where there are black and white, right and wrong answers. In cases like that, its important to help the asker by letting them know right in the answer that the answer is bad. To make sure they don't follow erroneous advice.

Just as it would be wrong of me to apply this standard to opinion topics, it would be wrong to apply your standard to technical topics. The only time I disapprove of an answer is when the answer is clearly wrong from a technical standpoint. That's one of the reasons I objected to the retaliatory rating mentioned in another thread. While there might have been a better answer, the answer I gave wasn't wrong.

Scott<>
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2005, 07:08 PM
    Yes, certainly when it comes to a technical topic there are definite right and wrong answers and if a well-meaning poster gives an erroneous answer in such a case then it should be corrected. In my own personal experience I haven't observed very many threads posted in those categories that would be considered technical with objective right and wrong answers. For some reason people who need advice on such topics don't use this forum very often ; I guess they use other forums such as Ask Jeeves.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2005, 07:55 PM
    I am sorry Chery, but I think your answer on the Macintosh is a classic example of somebody that knows so little about what she is talking about, that she has no business trying to give advice in that area. I have let slam after slam go by and I am sick of it. It that case, retaliating against me was pure troll. Didn't it occur to you there might be some reason why nobody else was giving that advice? Do you think you know more about computers than Fred, Scott, Need Karma, etc.

Do the rules on no personal attacks not apply to your continual attacks on me?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2005, 06:54 AM
    Posting categories
    Hi,
    Chery, you are absolutely right in saying something to the effect that "my answer may not be totally correct, but here is something to think about", or similar words.
    Some take objection to posting ANYTHING in any category, unless the answer is complete, precise, correct, and "they" agree with it! Not going to happen! With the "agree with" it part. Some rarely agree with anything.

Fact is, the rules for this site does not specify what category one cannot post in. There is no "moderator choice" for anyone who wants to post. In other words, all posts or answers are not first "reviewed" for correctness by a moderator, then "released" to the general public. This does happen in some "private" groups or clubs at Yahoo, or many other sites, where public posting to the group is the moderator's choice. Review then realease.
    So, anyone can post anything they wish in any category, as long as it follows the Forum Rules, and doesn't degrade someone, etc, etc.
    There will definitely be those who continue posting replies, as that is the right of anyone who is a member here.
    All of us are "prone to error". Some like to ridicule more than others.

Dec 17, 2005, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    Yes, certainly when it comes to a technical topic there are definite right and wrong answers and if a well-meaning poster gives an erroneous answer in such a case then it should be corrected. In my own personal experience I haven't observed very many threads posted in those categories that would be considered technical with objective right and wrong answers. For some reason people who need advice on such topics don't use this forum very often ; I guess they use other forums such as Ask Jeeves.
    The Technology boards here are fairly active. I don't know much about other areas. But it is clear that "entertainment" and discussion forums are more popular.

Dec 17, 2005, 07:07 AM
    Hi,
    Chery, you are absolutely right in saying something to the effect that "my answer may not be totally correct, but here is something to think about", or similar words.
    Some take objection to posting ANYTHING in any category, unless the answer is complete, precise, correct, and "they" agree with it! Not gonna happen! With the "agree with" it part. Some rarely agree with anything.

Fact is, the rules for this site does not specify what category one cannot post in. There is no "moderator choice" for anyone who wants to post. In other words, all posts or answers are not first "reviewed" for correctness by a moderator, then "released" to the general public. This does happen in some "private" groups or clubs at Yahoo, or many other sites, where public posting to the group is the moderator's choice. Review then realease.
    So, anyone can post anything they wish in any category, as long as it follows the Forum Rules, and doesn't degrade someone, etc, etc.
    There will definitely be those who continue posting replies, as that is the right of anyone who is a member here.
    All of us are "prone to error". Some like to ridicule more than others.
    This is not directed at Chery. She makes it clear that her knowledge is limited and generally, her answers do add something to a thread. There have been a few times when I think she should have held off posting but not that many.

You are correct that answers here are not moderated by the operators for accuracy, correctness etc. That anyone is open to adding their answers. But that doesn't mean that anyone SHOULD do so. That people come to these places looking for advice from people with greater knowledge and experience. Granted they should remember that caveat emptor applies. But people should NOT be answering questions unless those answers are valid. Of course that won't stop people from giving wrong advice either out of a lack of knowledge, carelessness, or mistake. But that's where ratings and peer review comes into play.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2005, 09:06 AM
    I must admit, I truly enjoy your postings in the threads dealing with pregnancy and periods.:)
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 17, 2005, 12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I am sorry Chery, but I think your answer on the Macintosh is a classic example of somebody that knows so little about what she is talking about, that she has no business trying to give advice in that area. I have let slam after slam go by and I am sick of it. It that case, retaliating against me was pure troll. Didn't it occur to you there might be some reason why nobody else was giving that advice? Do you think you know more about computers than Fred, Scott, Need Karma, etc.?

Do the rules on no personal attacks not apply to your continual attacks on me?
    I did not start the personal attack, you did. And anyone attacked has a right to defend themselves, especially after having to digest such language. Again, I stated in the post that I did not know anything about MACs, and a few might have had a nice giggle at my expense, but your language alone was the reason that drove me to retaliate only once - and in the open, and I was at least polite enough not to use the language that you apparently are used to using without a second thought as there was no 'slam after slam' just a natural desire to retaliate after being attacked - and you have to admit that your insinuations afterwords when using the word 'troll' and more were again attacks which deserved the answers you got. Being born and raised in the military, I do know a variety of blatant phrases, however, if I don't know someone personally, I make it a point to be civil and I just felt that you had no right to not be civil also. So, for me, this subject is over with, unless you'd love to dwell on it further, which would be a waste of both our time, don't you think? Fredg, ScottGem , NeedKarma, and several more computer experts here know exactly what they are talking about, and even they know how to keep a civil tongue even when disputing with each other, just in case you missed out on those few issues. So, I respectfully ask you to drop the subject as of now and I will do the same, thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

"ED" (Pronounced "Ayed") [ 4 Answers ]

Further comment re Morganite's comment in the initial discussion of the "ED":i.e., "The altar was built on Jordan's West Bank (some say on the East Bank)." I was reading an article recently that stated that archeologists searched for some time on the "East Bank" for the "ED" -- to no avail. ...

View more questions Search