Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dorina Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2007, 11:31 AM
    Capitalize or Expense Costs?
    Hi Everyone,
    I need some help please...

Think specifically about the costs that a company pays out each day.Some accountants will allow you to capitalize some (if not most) of these items (and only incur amortization expenses year over year) while others will advise you expense them all in the period they are incurred (realizing the whole cost).
    If you had a business and your accountant told you to either expense it all, or to capitalize it all, what would your response be? How short and long term effects of your decision will likely be?

Thank you so much,
    Dorina
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2007, 02:07 PM
    You only should capitalize a cost if the cost will benefit the asset fpr a period of more than 1 year.

For example if you spend money to upgrade a piece of equipment that extends it's useful life then you capitalize the cost.

If the cost is for routine maintenance then the cost is expensed as incurred.
    Dorina Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2007, 04:55 PM
    Thank you so much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fixed costs vs. Variable costs [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please check my answers. -Classify each of the following items of factory overhead as either a fixed or a variable cost. (Include any costs you consider to be semivariable within the variable category) a. Indirect labor- fixed costs could be variable under certain circumstances b....

What is fixed direct costs, indirect costs, semi indirect? It's so confusing. [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone please help me. I am stuck on one question that is stopping me finishing my final assignment. I need three examples each off: Direct Costs Variable indirect costs Fixed direct costs fixed indirect costs semi variable direct costs semi variable indirect costs I am getting...

Fixed costs vs. Variable costs [ 1 Answers ]

Which are which? Futon Factory Power to operate tools-variable Cloth to cover the futon frame-fixed Salary of factory receptionist-fixed Cost of food and dec for a work party-variable fuel for forklift-variable depreciation for factory-fixed depreciation for factory equipment-variable...

Moving Expense and Traveller Expense [ 1 Answers ]

Brief History: I came to US on F1 in 2001 and graduated in 2003. I have been employed from October, 2003 on my OPT and my H1 started in May, 2004. I changed my employer in 2004 and in 2005 I had to leave the country to be with my family in my home country. I was out of the country from April 2005...

Capitalize or Expense [ 3 Answers ]

Computer consultants fixed bugs and made enhancements to our proprietary software. The cost is large enough to capitalize but should I expense?

View more questions Search