Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Skip97 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2005, 04:57 PM
    '90 Civic Stops Then Doesn't Crank for 15 Minutes
    My 1990 manual transmission Honda Civic Lx has recently developed a random problem. It starts fine (both cold and hot) but it randomly quits running while on the road i.e.. The motor just dies (not on every trip). When I go to start it the indicator lights come on but it won't crank or even click. When I go to crank it the headlights stay bright. This has just started but it's not clear it's associated with the colder weather here in St. Louis. I've cleaned the various contacts, battery posts, fuses, etc in the starting circuit. At one time I thought it might be due to the clutch depression switch not functioning properly but I don't know how that would cause it to stop once running. I adjusted this switch so the clutch pedal doesn't have to be as far towards the floor to insure it triggers. Once I wait 10-15 minutes it seems to crank rapidly and start and run fine. It seems like any winding to ground shorts in the starter and/or solenoid would not cause it to stop running without burning up a few wires or fuses if it should occur? Any thoghts would be appreciated. Thanks!
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Dec 12, 2005, 05:10 PM
    What error codes are you getting?

When it stops running, and you want to start it again, does it even turn over? When that happens, did you check if it's getting a spark and gas?
    Skip97 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2005, 05:24 PM
    Follow Up to Question
    Since this has happened on the highway (where I coasted to the side) all 3 times while I had fairly decent clothes on I have not yet felt comfortable crawling down to look at the ECU codes. I guess I've been unnerved enough by traffic speeding by to think of that but it's definitely in order.

To clarify on the attempt to restart. When I turn the key to the START position there is absolutely no effort of the starter to crank or for the solenoid to click. When the key is in the start position the dashboard lights remained brightly lit as did the headlights so it appeared there was no undue drain on the battery. Each time about 10-15 minutes later the car started fine with normal cranking speed etc. just as if nothing had happened.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Dec 13, 2005, 01:52 AM
    All right, that sounds like a problem with starter. I have no knowledge about starters and starter problems, so I cannot answer any questions about them.

Oh, and checking error codes is really easy, you just get your 2 fingers dirty (if you have a dirty carpet). From the driver's seat, bend over to the passenger's foot area, pull the carpet down until you see a hole, and then turn the key to "II" and watch for blinks. Also, read the FAQ for explanation on how the error codes are reported by ECU (what you should be looking for).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 Honda Civic - black smoke for a few minutes after starting on a cold day [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Honda Civic 92 with twin cabi. In the past few months, every morning the engine starts normally for a few minutes, then the black smoke comes out of the exhaust, at the same time the idle is dropping and the engine is shacking. These symptoms appeared at the same time. If I rip up the...

Washer stops after a few minutes [ 5 Answers ]

We just moved our Kenmoore washer for recarpeting and now the washer will not rinse. Before it worked without any problems. When we load it up and set it to wash, before it reaches to Rinse/Spin, it stops. It seems it can not drain the water for it to rinse. Please help :( Thanks!

1988 Honda Civic DX - Starts & Stops [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having problems getting my Civic to run consistently. It will run for about 3-4 miles and then stall out and won't start again until it cools off for a couple of hours. When I try to restart it, it sounds like it's going to start but it just won't go all the way. It goes through more coolant...

94 honda civic stops at 5100 RPM'S [ 2 Answers ]

When acelerating any gear the engine hits 5100 rpm and won't go any higher like there is a limiter my dad says that it is the distributer cap and rotor and I wanted another opinion thanks in advanced.

90 Civic No Crank, No lights, No Radio, new Battery [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Honda Civic that I parked for about two weeks now. The car was running without any problems before I parked it. Yesterday I try to start it up but I got absolutely no power - no radio, no interior lights, no head lights, no horn, no emergency flasher. I then proceeded to attempted a...

View more questions Search