Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Butterflyrains Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2007, 03:21 AM
    Stealing money from bank account
    Recently someone I know took money from my mothers checking account via using her debit card... This happened in July of this year, 2007... He had promised to start paying the money back and has yet to do so... Is there an SOL for him in the state of Florida as I want to file charges against him... Thank you
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2007, 06:08 AM
    Hello B:

The SOL doesn't apply to you or him - only the government. Call the cops.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 7, 2007, 06:42 AM
    You may sue them in civil court. Since everyone seems aware this person took the money and made payment arangements with him I doubt if any criminal charges can even be pressed now.

Stealing means you report them to the police, and have them arrested not let them pay you back. This is obviously someone the family knows who was allowed access to the card and money
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 7, 2007, 07:25 AM
    I side with Chuck here. Sounds like this wasn't quite stealing, but an abuse of a privilege. Either they had access to the card and took more than they were allowed, or they borrowed the card because they had access to it.

In any case, I'm not sure whether a criminal case can be made on this. You would have to discuss it with your local prosecutor's office. The other alternative is a civil suit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a creditor garnish my wages or take money out of my bank account? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently received court papers from an old credit card debt. The paper say I have 30 days to respond or judgement will be ruled in favor of creditor. I called the creditor and they will not take less than $350/month for my $4000 debt. I'm a single mother of 2 and cannot afford $350 a month. ...

Stealing money, theft under 5000 [ 3 Answers ]

Im a 19 year old student that was charged today with theft under 5000. I told a girl to take money and she put it in my sweater and it was all recorded on video survillence. I had a previous run in with the law for theft also, but the officer told me to do some community service hours. I'm in...

Judgement with my bank account what happens to the money held? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me for an old medical bill, they froze my account and took the money out, if I pay them in full does that money that was froze get put back into my account?

Bank account money attachment [ 6 Answers ]

I found that in Texas you can send a simple letter telling your bank not to honor any money Attachments from your bank account by anyone but the IRS and court approved depentdent Support payments. The Texas bank is then not entitled, by law to attach any bank funds. Is This also true in Arizona?...

Bank taking money from b. Account [ 3 Answers ]

We were recently brought to the attention of a 11 year old debt through our bank.They could give us no hard proof of this debt being ours. The simple fact is we did borrow money from them and is was not that much. Our files were stolen and we received a paper stating that our debt had been forgiven...

View more questions Search