Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Idrees Posts: 52, Reputation: 3

Dec 7, 2007, 12:51 AM
    Are Eggs and Seeds alive just like sperms of men?
    Someone told me that eggs and seeds are not alive so in this case living is produced from non-living. But I studied in biology that concept of Abiogenesis is obsolete and only biogenesis (living beings can product living beings) is accepted now. So if Eggs, Seeds and Ova of women are considered alive then how it should be explained.
    taylorryan Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2007, 12:53 AM
    Well seeds contian small cells that are living.. waiting for soil and water... until then they store
    jem02081 Posts: 65, Reputation: 19

Dec 7, 2007, 08:28 PM
    You ask a difficult question which doesn't have a simple answer.
    Certainly everyone would agree that an egg is alive, but starting from the other end is harder
    Is a virus alive? Most biologists would say that all life is built on cells. Viruses are not cells nor are they composed of cells… they need to infect a living being (a cell) to reproduce… not alive
    What about a bacterial spore (endospore)? A spore is a bacterial cell with no metabolism, but an endospore can grow and divide if you put it in the right environment …alive?

Finally seeds! Are seeds alive?
    At one time, the theory was that since seeds consumed oxygen (had active metabolism) then they must be alive. But decay also would consume oxygen. At other times, theories were popular that living things had an energy or spirit that separated from non-living. But no evidence was ever found that support those ideas.
    So I would put it this way, biological life can make forms (viruses, endospores? seeds? ) which are not living, but which are capable of life. I would argue that your definition of biogenesis as living beings can produce living beings is correct, since it does leave open the possibility that a “non-living” intermediate can exist.
    I don't see that this as any different from taking an egg (alive) from a women and putting it into a liquid nitrogen freezer. The frozen egg is not alive, but if you warm it up treat it properly it can be fertilized & grow into a human being.
    FLYnVFR Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Keep it simple. Webster's dictionary defines "alive" as follows:

1: having life : not dead or inanimate

Bottom line, eggs and seeds are alive, period.
    jem02081 Posts: 65, Reputation: 19

Dec 21, 2007, 10:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYnVFR
    Keep it simple. Webster's dictionary defines "alive" as follows:

1: having life : not dead or inanimate
    Webster's Online Dictionary definition of Life "The condition of living or the state of being alive"

So alive is “having life” & life is “the state of being alive”

Webster’s definitions are inadequate to explain either abiogenesis or biogenesis.

Still, "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2007, 05:33 PM
    That's right. Eggs and sperm and seeds are all alive. Very much so.

A chicken egg consists of a single, huge, living cell, plus some nutrients in the yolk, some membranes, and a shell (which is not alive). The egg may or may not get fertilized, but it is alive either way.

Sperm form from living cells by dividing. They are alive for a short period, usually a few days.

A woman's ova also form from dividing cells that are alive. All ova in all animals and plants are alive.

A seed forms when a plant "egg," or ovum, is fertilized by the sperm from pollen. Once the ovum (plant egg) and sperm DNA fuse to form a fertilized egg, the rest of the seed forms around it, supplying nutrients and a protective husk that keeps it from drying out. A seed is a lot like a fertilized bird egg except that the seed can stay dormant for a long time (thousands of years!), while a bird egg needs to be kept warm and develop into a bird right away. Reptile eggs, also alive, are very similar to bird eggs. In fact, birds, reptiles, and mammals all have similar "amniotic" eggs.

Viruses are not considered alive because they are not cells and the formal definition of life is that all life is made from cells. This is a technicality. Viruses carry information in DNA or RNA and they can evolve, just like other living things. Whether they are formally "life" or not, they are certainly related to living things. And everything else is alive. Ova, sperm, and seeds are all made of cells and are alive.

Hope this still helps.
    Asking (biology expert)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm Alive(?) [ 16 Answers ]

I was at a ski resort, and heard a song that was really good, in my opinion, that had the hook "I'm Alive" in it. The song had a sort of creppy-funk vibe. Sorry I can't give more info, but it's been awhile since I heard it, and it's driving me crazy. Thx in advance for any help.

Does precum contains sperms? [ 8 Answers ]

I want to know if precum contains sperms? I have read many websites that Some said that precum do contain sperms but probably at most 1 or very few. Some said that precum does not contain sperms at all unless it comes from earlier ejaculation and was not being wiped off-->This information was made...

Sex and sperms [ 2 Answers ]

Its it true that air kills sperms?

I'm alive [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know the artist that sings that song it is on line in a beautiful inspirational musical card

View more questions Search