Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daehnolem Posts: 61, Reputation: 12

Dec 12, 2005, 11:08 AM
    8 month old lab has bowel problems
    Ever since I brought my puppy home with me at 7 weeks old, she's had diarrhea stools. Sometimes it's better, sometimes, it's worse. She's not sick or anything, she acts like a normal crazy puppy. I had a country vet who treated her for worms, then giardia, and then suggested I switch food. None of that helped, so he referred me to a vet who could do laboratory testing. My new vet did a blood test and took a fecal sample, and said those were normal. He said it was most likely a food allergy. So he prescribed one of those bland diets that is ridiculously expensive. They cost almost $50 for an 18 lb bag! You know how long it takes for a lab to go through that? And he wants her to be on it for 6 to 8 weeks! That's around three bags of it. Then I have to switch to another food with alternative protein/carb mixes. He said if it's not food allergies, it could be some rare gut disease and she'd have to be on meds for the rest of her life. Any thoughts here? Should I get a second opinion or does he sound right on target? Also does anyone know of a good protein/carb alternative that isn't ridiculously expensive? She's been on chicken and rice. Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2005, 12:24 PM
    I would definitely try another vet. Having blood work done to establish the allergen is expensive up front, but once you establish what the problem is, there may be cheap ways around it. I don't even think the venison and potatoes diet which solves many allergy problems is as expensive as what you are saying. Unfortunately, I don't have a source for it.

Has either vet mentioned colitis? My Aster had it several years ago while still a working dog. Her vet was letting her waste away before we hauled her to the vet clinic at the dog guide school. They very quickly found the problem and cleared it up.

I hate to say this, but Aster had more problems after colitis cleared up and finally had to retire. Now her replacement is having the same loose bowel movements. The problem is largely emotional brought on by their partner's stress. She is literally worrying her dogs sick. Of course, the loose bowels raises your stress level and the problem feeds on itself. If you have a lot of stress in your life, try spending more time brushing her. It will be good for both of you emotionally plus leave less black dog hair all over the house and your clothes.
    daehnolem Posts: 61, Reputation: 12

Jan 11, 2006, 06:06 PM
    I'm just posting an update on my dog's condition. We left that vet, and have yet to find another (we moved to another city). However, I did start buying a fish and potato formula food from a local pet store. It has some rice in it, but absolutely no corn, beef, or wheat, common allergies found in dogs. She's been eating this food for awhile, and it seemed like maybe she was getting better. Her skin has started clearing up (she had itchy red bumps all over her stomach and kept getting pus filled bumps on her face) and her stools were getting firmer consistently. Then she got into the trash and ate a bag of popped popcorn we had thrown away. She loves popcorn, but it definitely does not love her. So, now we have to wait for it to clear out of her system fully again to find out for sure if it is food allergies she's suffering from. She still has THE worst gas I've ever been exposed to. But, bad gas is better then having to pick up loose stools. I hate it when there's both. :( I'm sure we'll find another vet for her. It's just hard to find a vet with reasonable prices when her first vet was so inexpensive because he was a country vet who lived out in a little town. Unfortunately, we live too far away to take her there regularly. Also, we made the decision not to breed her because of her allergy problems.

-B

P.S. Any possibility of her not being a crazed monkey after she's spayed (in terms of her energy level)?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2006, 06:53 PM
    Congratulations on the responsible decision not to breed a dog with problems. You have no idea how many questions I have seen from people bound and determined to breed a dog they are wanting help with a severe behavioral problem. There are so many healthy, well behaved dogs I see no reason to breed ones that could pass on a defect.

I am glad you have found what may be a solution to the problem. I know how most young Labs love to eat. Any slip up, and they are into the trash or whatever. Along time ago I solved a gas problem by moving the dog's only meal to bed time. He was fit to be in by morning. Since he slept outside, bowel movements were no problem. It could be a problem for your dog.

Most of the Labs I know aren't spayed until after a year old and away at school. Most of them do settle down after going through their first season. Of course, getting back to what was normal may seem like settling down after being in season. I did have Pepper spayed at 6 months, but she was a sweet, calm little girl before, so I am not sure it made much difference. One of the 5 dogs we had over Christmas was 14 month old, recently spayed Sheba, back after 2 months in the kennel. Her, her old friend Augen, plus 3 month old Nita had a great time. Augen is my daughter's year old Shepherd, still intact. Sheba did calm down enough to be accepted into a service dog program now. Even Aster, spayed in 1995, has plenty of energy in the afternoon when I pull down the leash.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Year lease then month to month? [ 9 Answers ]

I live in Los Angeles California. I've lived in my apartment for over 1 year after signing a 12 month lease. Now that the 12 months on the lease are over, my landlord wants me to sign a new 12 month lease. I don't want to sign another 12 month lease. I may go to school in a few months and I'd...

Notice required on a month to month lease? [ 9 Answers ]

I signed a 1 year lease that ended on July 31, 2006 in Minnesota. The lease states that if resident stays in the apt after the lease ends, with managements approval, it becomes a month to month lease. I stayed. The notice period stated in the lease is 60 days, effective the last day of the month....

Property convert to month to month? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Wisconsin and I have been renting 2 back to back billboards of which one is subleased. The party did not renew the 5 year lease and the subleasee gave notice they were not renewing their lease. The problem is that the lease ended June 1st and they have not removed their...

Weird bowel movements [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I have a question about bowel movements I've been having diarreah (well, it's not THAT bad... more like really soft) for the about three weeks now. I noticed that it smells sour and before I had to go my stomach would hurt (after I went it didn't hurt). I went about 2 times a day,...

Update: Nine month dachshund still has potty problems. [ 1 Answers ]

After taking her to the vet to talk about why she pees in her crate, he put her on antibiotics in case of a bladder infection and suggested I take out all her bedding, so urinating would be less tolerable for her. So for a little more than two weeks she was on medication and had no bedding, and...

View more questions Search