Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2005, 07:06 AM
    Space Cadets
    Any Brits out there watching the show at the moment? I must admit whoever thought of this show is a genius. "It's like... Chessington World Of Adventures times 10,000!"

For those not in the UK, Space Cadets is a reality TV show being shown over here at the moment. 12 wannabe astronauts are given the chance to be sent into space on the first space tourism program. All they have to do is stay at a Russian air base and be trained up for the trip before 4 winners are chosen and sent into space.

The funny thing is - they aren't in Russia and there is no space tourism program. They never left the UK and are in a totally fake set with actors playing all the guards, lecturers etc. Also 4 of the 12 wannabes are really actors. The idea is that if Channel 4 can convince them they are really going to space for a fortnight, then they win some cash. But if the someone twigs that it's all fake - they get nothing.

They show has gone to so much detail with the set etc. They flew in a load of Russian food and drink, placed Russian signs everywhere, they even changed the plugs to Russian ones!

The best bit of the show though is the lectures. They have to make the trainees believe they are going to space so they are given them lectures. Thing is, 80% of what they are being told is total rubbish. For example, they have been told (and they believed it) that Minsk, Russia is really named after the first monkey in space - Minski. They even have a fake stuffed monkey in a glass class and have been telling them that it's Minski.

Anyway, if you are in the UK you have to see this. Channel 4, 9pm. On everything night to the 16th Decmember.

http://www.channel4.com/entertainmen...S/spacecadets/
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 12, 2005, 07:21 AM
    Aw! Why do you get all the good shows? :(
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2005, 08:42 AM
    I'll check my cable channels for it. We get a lot of UK shows... one of my favorites being Brainiac.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 12, 2005, 08:53 AM
    I have yet to watch more than a few seconds of ANY so-called reality show. I absolutely refuse to support what is essentially the pandering to humanity's basest instinct of greed. Greed of the participant's, greed of the networks, greed of the producers, etc.
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2005, 08:57 AM
    The greed is what makes this show so great though. They are so desperate to get into space and be famous that they believe any tripe that is thrown at them.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2005, 09:24 AM
    I keep seeing it advertised in between programmes but I thought it looked rather cheesy. Is it really that good? May have to start watching it?
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Dec 12, 2005, 09:47 AM
    Space Cadets
    Good call Lee.I was'nt going to watch it at first,but after seeing the motley crew fly around the North Sea for four hours,land in Russia,er,sorry,Ipswich,then go through briefings,training,and general "Big Brother" type video-diaries,I think it's hilarious.Even Neil Armstrong has said he'l eat a space helmet,live on Channel 4,if they pull this off.Fell off my chair last night,at that lecture entitled PRAT.Prepare,revise,ask,talk.Or something like that.I believe tonight is the "live" launch,when they get sent into "space".Or is it Ipswich? :D
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2005, 09:56 AM
    May have to watch it then I think - you are really selling this to me guys.

I guess the thing is I got really bored with big brother and there are so many reality TV shows now - I just thought this would be along the same lines and it did not really appeal.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2005, 10:03 AM
    That show sounds like a blast (look, I made a joke!). Have always been a fan of brit humour, recently fell in love with The Office (the american version is pathetically off the mark).

I may have to look for a torrent.
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2005, 10:10 AM
    I would have to agree. I watched the American version of 'The Office' and I did not find it anywhere near as good as the British version.

Dec 12, 2005, 02:46 PM
    In Orbit
    So,the Cadets are now in orbit.Hmnn.Why did'nt they simulate floating inside the "shuttle" once they'd reached Earth orbit?
    Personally I'd have spun the simulator up to 10 g's,so that everyone would have passed out,and when they woke up,they'd be all alone in a field.Nah,that sounds like the X Files!
    Apparently they can't open the viewing window at the front of the shuttle to show everyone Earth,because a moth has flown into the studio mock-up.HAAAAAAAAA! At least they could'nt at 9:55pm tonight,UK time.Nice one Channel 4 :D
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 02:36 AM
    That moth thing did make me laugh. Wasn't as good a show as previous though. The creation of the simulator was really interesting but the rest was quite dull.

The best bit though was when on of the people was going on about how it "looked like it was from a movie or something. And then right on cue, a man in a white coat walks across with a clip board. And then another man followed him out. I was just like a movie". They are so close to guessing the truth but still are believing it :D

I kind of feel sorry for Keri though. The other two guys are muppets and I would like to see their faces afterwards. But the girl Keri does seem all right - just a little gullable.
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 02:49 AM
    LTheobald & Nez
    You guys actually come from exciting places in the Uk. Wiltshire is soooo boring lol

Dec 13, 2005, 07:16 AM
    Two replies in one
    Firstly,congrates Lee to getting your name in lights with Mozilla."We are not worthy" :D
    DJ,how can Wiltshire be boring?
    Lee in Cambridge,now that is a place to behold.University,Oliver Cromwell,etc.True,Brum has it's fair share of historical items,and people,but surelly,everywhere is the same as everywhere else.We all look at places through rose tinted specs.I'm sure Wiltshire is a lovely place really.Er,are'nt all pubs similar anyway,he he :cool:

Came across this on Wiltshire,from Towns-uk website:

Wiltshire
    Wiltshire encompasses ancient stone circles, spectacular views, history and heritage and unspoilt, open countryside. It is as beautiful to explore under a sparkling winter's sky as during a hot summer's day and the gentle, vast landscape makes it ideal for enjoying the great outdoors.

Few places in Europe can rival the ancient monuments and ceremonial landscapes of Wiltshire, which include the World Heritage Sites of Stonehenge and Avebury. Salisbury Cathedral, with its soaring spire, is another major international attraction and our historic houses and beautiful gardens ensure there is something for everyone.

Bordering both the Roman City of Bath and the glorious Cotswolds, Wiltshire is home to magical old market towns, castles and a host of other attractions. But perhaps Wiltshire's real uniqueness lies in the beauty of its countryside: the open downland offering miles of uninterrupted views, river valleys with their sparkling clear waters, ancient forests, and picture-postcard villages. Wherever you visit in this ancient and unspoilt county you will be assured a warm welcome and service of the highest quality.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 13, 2005, 07:23 AM
    Now if you really want boring, go check out Leighton Buzzard.
    The least known famous place there is.
    Home to the Great Train Robbery and sand pits ;)

Oh yeah to answer a previous point about floating.
    They said earlier in the series that they wheren't going high enough to experience Zero G, the best bit is that the suckers bought it completely.
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 07:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Firstly,congrates Lee to getting your name in lights with Mozilla."We are not worthy" :D
    That's right - I'm famous now. Anyone want to join the Lee Fan Club? We have badges and a secret handshake!
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 07:32 AM
    I guess having lived in wiltshire my whole life it's easy for me to take it for granted. Others think it's a lovely place and if I am honest there is a lot of history, Like 'Stone Henge', 'Averbury' etc etc - but when you live in one place for so long it becomes tideous. When I went to Australia travelling and returned I really did appreciate it - but it's real easy to slip back into a broing mundane routine. I try to keep well travelled in the UK even if I cannot get abroad.

Guess I should stop taking it all for granted what do you reckon??
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2005, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ 'H'
    I guess having lived in wiltshire my whole life it's easy for me to take it for granted. Others think it's a lovely place and if I am honest there is a lot of history, Like 'Stone Henge', 'Averbury' etc etc - but when you live in one place for so long it becomes tideous. When I went to Australia travelling and returned I really did appreciate it - but it's real easy to slip back into a broing mundane routine. I try to keep well travelled in the UK even if I cannot get abroad.

Guess I should stop taking it all for granted what do you reckon???
    When I travelled England and Europe I was jealous of you guys - you have such a variety of cultures so nearby. I'm in Canada and the travelling distances are exponentially larger, I'm not as inclined to go the US much anymore.

Back to Space Cadets - I found a bittorrent tracker but no one seems to be sharing at the moment. :( Eventually I'll have Ep 1 and 2.

Dec 13, 2005, 07:48 AM
    Travel
    I have two cousins in Perth,Western Australia,and the place is excellent.Have been a few times over the past ten years.In September just gone,had ten days in Ayia Napa,Cyprus.It was amazing.However,there is nothing like returning to a foggy,cold UK morning,with the drizzle hitting you in the face.Nah,that was a lie.If my lottery ticket ever comes up,it's adios amigo's,party time is here,as the bar is officially open.I would move to Tenerife,in the Canary islands.Going there with the family,Easter,2006.Other members of the family have already been,and from the pics,it looks nice.All year round sun!
    Okey,now I'l calm down a bit,and say that travel in the UK is fine,if you pick your places carefully.Most of us I'm sure,have our favourite spots,which we like to return to year after year,but for me,there must be hundreds of places around the country I'd like to visit.Maybe I will one day.
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 08:12 AM
    I have been to many countries - I love to travel. But it's not so easy to do it as often these days because of the expense. Having to run a car, pay rent etc.

Planning to travel though - just need to save hard.

Boy if I won the lottery I would move abroad for sure - I hate the cold weather. Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Space... I think... [ 3 Answers ]

I'm sort of new to actual dating... I went out with a few guys in school.. but the relationship really never left school. Once I graduated I fell in love with a guy from australia... was with him for 2 years... and went to see him for 6 months... I waited patiently for 2 years (until three weeks...

Need space [ 6 Answers ]

New here I am recently separated from my kid's mother, just simply fell in love with another woman.started out great than ex started calling and harassing new woman in my life.saying thing's like we are going to get back together,to stay away from our kid's wich limit's my time with new woman she...

Space bar [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, It must be something I done, wonder if anybody can help. When I'm in M.S.Word I press my space bar and I get a stop / dot Full stop. Also my Font size icon and my left justify, right justify and centre icons have gone. Any ideas?

Web space [ 10 Answers ]

Is there is any space in the web where I can store my files for free then download them later My files are about 10 gig So its easier for me to have those files anywhere home, office , etc Thanks

Web Space [ 4 Answers ]

Hey. Looking for a site to host ZIP files so people can download them off another site. Example: My site is hosted on MTS. I want to be able to click a link on an MTS website which will allow me to download a file from the X hosting site where I store them. 100% free please, and a file size...

View more questions Search