Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Dec 10, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mjl
    Emland is right, say if you spend only $10 a week on the lottery that adds up to $104,000 in 20 years. And in 20 years you will most likely have not have won that much to have made an earning.
    This is a valid point even if the math is incorrect.

The only way to insure making an income from the lottery is to go to work for the lottery.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Magdalena
    Hi,
    I explain "random" as we know the effect, we don't know the cause.
    All mathematical formulas concerning Lotto are based on probability. This means "maybe".
    And all work on the effect, not on the cause.
    Please, understand me right. I'm not advocating against math. I only ask many questions to find-with your help- new fresh perspective regarding this issue, instead from what you knew until now.
    Do you allow me that??????????
    We live in 21 Century.
    Magdalene
    well fine. You want to take this angle... OK.

probability deals with the likelihood of an event occurring... which in your mind means it focuses on the event (the "effect" in your wording) and ignores the factors that might play into how each event is chosen.

wrong.

the formulas do NOT ignore the causes of one ball to be picked over another. You say we live in the 21st century? OK. Step right in yourself. Offer me proof or evidence that one ball should be picked over another.

the makers of the game go to great lengths to make sure one ball isn't especially heavy or light. One could argue that if you start with the same balls before "marking" with numbers... that they are all uniform weight and size, that numbers with more surface area (like 49 versus 1) might be "off balance" toward the number side. But I don't even know how the numbers are placed... embedded... simply pigmented plastic... etc... AND the POLYMER CHEMISTS who do R&D on this kind of stuff actually DO live in the 21st century.

I don't work in this field, but I'm a chemist myself, and if my company manufactures this kind of product, we are going to take all angles and avenues to make sure that all balls are statistically "equivalent" within an acceptable norm.

same goes for the people who make the machines, blah blah blah.

so how does this tie in to your incorrect comment about statistics focusing on the event and not the cause? Because when the all things are made equal here... that is the balls are equal within a tolerable range, etc... the cause is equal across the board. Choosing one ball is an independent event having nothing to do with what came before (other than the number pool getting smaller) and having no special "force" favoring 3 over 38.

laws of physics govern what happens to the balls in the machine right? Lots of collisions, changes in velocity, momentum, etc. well physics is based on math at its core.

so... before you say "but...but...but" over and over...

why don't YOU offer something to change OUR minds? You prove to me that there is some other factor at play. You come up with the proof. You explain why there needs to be anything else.

the burden is on you. You think we are just towing the common line. I think I'm more educated about science and math. I think I'm open to discussion... but at some point you need to offer more than "but...but...but"

after all, we live in the 21st century.
    Magdalena Posts: 20, Reputation: 0

Dec 15, 2007, 12:19 AM
    Good morning,Today I have a bit time to answer you...
    With your knowledge about Lotto, never you'll have any chance to win. But because you are ready to "change your mind ", I'll help you to do that.
    Everything is the result of a cause.
    As a result of using mathematical formulas only, there are 98-99% losers and 1-2% winners occasionally.
    This means, the probability is good , but not enough.
    We have to think more largely..
    The Lottery is a big business of States ,that give you { Amen ! } a fair possibility {I hope }
    to win some money. If you don't think business, don't touch the Lottery.
    So, Lotto or Lottery {it's the same Evil} is there for the taking for who know how to play.
    If that and this method doesn't point to,. you must to try something else. Maybe an unorthodox strategy...
    A step further is to brainstorm.
    Let's brainstorm together...
    - is the luck, chance, random the only ingredient ?
    - is the logical way of thinking the only way or the only possibility ?
    - is the "can't "attitude really effective?
    - and so...
    Ah!. figures... figures.. something goes to be discovered... soooooooooon...
    Magdalene
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 12:55 AM
    The best way to win with the lottery is to start a business where you can sell the tickets! Heck, sell books about ways to win the lottery as well! Other ideas are shirts or hats with funny sayings about playing or spending money on the lottery, You could sell so many things connected to the lottery that it would fill up a pretty good area!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 15, 2007, 07:54 AM
    The only way to insure that you win the lottery is to play every conceivable number combination. As I said drawings are random, you can play with probabilities all you want, but it comes down to a random drawing.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Good morning,Today I have a bit time to answer you......
    With your knowledge about Lotto, never you'll have any chance to win. But because you are ready to "change your mind ", I'll help you to do that.
    Everything is the result of a cause.
    As a result of using mathematical formulas only, there are 98-99% losers and 1-2% winners occasionally.
    This means, the probability is good , but not enough.
    We have to think more largely..
    The Lottery is a big business of States ,that give you { Amen ! } a fair possibility {I hope }
    to win some money. If you don't think business, don't touch the Lottery.
    So, Lotto or Lottery {it's the same Evil} is there for the taking for who know how to play.
    If that and this method doesn't point to,...you must to try something else. Maybe an unorthodox strategy....
    A step further is to brainstorm.
    Let's brainstorm together....
    - is the luck, chance, random the only ingredient ?
    - is the logical way of thinking the only way or the only possibility ?
    - is the "can't "attitude really effective?
    - and so...
    Ah!!!...figures....figures..something goes to be discovered...soooooooooon.........
    Magdalene
    Is the "can't" attitude effective?

I think living in reality is effective. I think knowing the truth is pretty darn effective.

Yes lottery is a business. And people who run a successful business know about projected profits and risk assessment.
    That you think this can be worked around is just sad.

You can try to "positive think" your way all you want... if you are looking to channel some "force" to help you win the lotto... OK. Good luck with that. If you choose to "pray" for riches, OK. Your choice. Which religion, exactly, uses winning the lotto as a pillar of faith... hmmmm..?

Outside of divine intervention, you are just left with false hope... but hey, false hope is still hope. Right? Anyone?

Answer these questions please...

How much money do you have in tax deferred accounts?
    What does your investment portfolio look like?
    What kind of diversification?
    Do you own a home? Do you consider a home a wise investement financially... is it an asset or liability from an investment standpoint?

I've got a bunch of other questions... just curious about those first... and no, I'm not off topic.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2007, 08:43 AM
    There is no strategy to win the lottery. It's completely random. That said, there's no possible way to control it. You win by pure luck and that's it.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2007, 08:47 AM
    if you spend only $10 a week on the lottery that adds up to $104,000 in 20 years.
    CaptainRich disagrees: Your math is incorrect.
    True. She added an extra 0. She meant $10,400.
    Magdalena Posts: 20, Reputation: 0

Dec 15, 2007, 09:58 AM
    Hi, kp2171
    The first home is not a wise investment. It is like the ravenous mouth... It requests an endless new invest. But{it's a word that you love, isn't it ? } it's a necessary harm... you know why... The second home is a good invest. In certain conditions. Yes, I have the both.
    What is a wise investment is another story...
    And for diversification subject we need to sit and seriously discuss because it is important in these days.
    Back to Lotto. What you wrote me is "Let Magdalena sleep and keep your money" There is not another idea how to win the Lottery. In fact it's impossible...
    Whole this forum is full of skeptics, while I think in a different way.
    Sadly
    Good Night
    Magdalene
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Sadly
    Good Night
    Magdalene
    Yes. We most definately think differently.

I think you have issues facing the truth. I think everyone else here understands it.

I think gambling as a means to make a positive cash flow is a lousy plan. You think otherwise.

I think when you talk to people on an online forum and you ask for help with something, and then you ramble through the thread, throwing "disagree" tags on posts because people aren't saying what you want to hear... I think that its rude!! You seem to think otherwise.

I think when you are asked to explain what this mystical "other" thing is outside of proven mathematical concepts, you ramble on with incomplete thoughts and still... to THIS moment, have yet to offer ANYTHING other than your hoping there is another way to win the lotto. You seem to think that there MUST be some other thing involved. And yet you cannot explain it or even prove it to any degree. Or even give even a crumb of an interesting angle to pursue.

And I think its time for me to disengage from this post and not return... there are other people needing advice who are willing to listen... and anyone else here grounded in thoughtful discussion should do the same. I think, since you aren't listening anyway, you'll be happy here talking to nobody but yourself.

Done with you. Done with this thread. Done wasting time here.
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 03:24 PM
    Magdalena, if you believe so strongly that you can make a guaranteed profit from playing the lottery, I'm wondering if you are confident enough to invest all of your money into your plan, and put your money where your mouth is? Or is it other people's money that you want to have invested into your scheme? Odds are that you won't be going home rich.

But I assume your system to be something like having a vision of things to happen in the future... so you probably already knew I was going to send this message.
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Dec 15, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Lol!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 15, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Hi, kp2171
    The first home is not a wise investment. It is like the ravenous mouth....It requests an endless new invest. But{it's a word that you love, isn't it ? } it's a necessary harm...you know why...The second home is a good invest. in certain conditions. Yes, I have the both.
    What is a wise investment is another story....
    And for diversification subject we need to sit and seriously discuss because it is important in these days.
    Back to Lotto. What you wrote me is "Let Magdalena sleep and keep your money" There is not another idea how to win the Lottery. In fact it's impossible...
    Sadly
    Good Night
    Magdalene
    A first home is not a wise investment?? What fantasy world do you live in? I can tell you for a FACT that had I not bought my first home when I did (30 years ago) I would not be living as comfortably as I am now with a huge amount of equity in my home. In 1978 I read an article by Sylvia Porter (a financial columnist for the NY Daily News) in which she advised tto do anything you could to buy a home that year. I took this advice an bought a small bungalow. Eight years later I sold that bungalow for 4 times what I paid for it. This gave me a lot of money to down on my next house (in suburbia) where I still live. After 20 years that house is worth more than double what I paid for it and, I have well over 50% equity in it. So yes a first home can be a very wise investment and usually is.

We are not "skeptics", we are realists. We understand that lotteries are gambling and in gambling the odds are against the player. Something you seem to refuse to accept. Lottery drawings are made as random as they possible can be.

And I also agree with KP, you are using the rate this post feature improperlky and rudely.
    SnakeBite Posts: 68, Reputation: 4

Dec 15, 2007, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    The best way to win with the lottery is to start a business where you can sell the tickets! Heck, sell books about ways to win the lottery as well! Other ideas are shirts or hats with funny sayings about playing or spending money on the lottery, You could sell so many things connected to the lottery that it would fill up a pretty good area!
    If you are so sure that this will work, why don't you take your own advice and be the one that starts this business? Or, invest stock into Magdalene starting this lottery biz?:D
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 04:00 PM
    I didn't say it would be a successful business... I just think it has better odds than playing the lottery. As far as investing with Magdalena, I'm waiting for someone to offer me a deed to the Brooklyn Bridge!

Dec 15, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Hey Ohio,

I have a good question: What is the best method to rob a bank then fly to another country with 5 million and live like a king? LOL

Do you think the odds are better robbing a bank then playing the lottery?
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 04:54 PM
    The best method for achieving what you mentioned about the bank robbery is to keep it in your dreams!

Odds are better you would have a roof over your head for longer if you robbed the bank than if you put everything into the lottery. It might be the jail house roof though.
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio

My point with the above statement was that it would be better to put $100,000 or some said amount of money into starting a business selling the lottery tickets (if your intention is for profit) as opposed to spending the same money buying tickets expecting to profit from playing the lottery.

I was not intending to guarantee any positive results of such a business. I was thinking of the commission that sellers get, as well as bonuses for selling winning tickets to customers.

Those may be small amounts equal to the small payouts from the lottery scenario as well, but assuming proper management of a business, the long term potential seems more appealing than risking the investment on a lottery system designed to have more money lost than is won.

Dec 15, 2007, 08:31 PM
    Yes, I agree with you regarding the odds at winning the lottery. However, I don't think that a book about ways to win would ever sell. You need to have content. How many pages could a person dream up for a book and stand behind there method?

Merchandise would be a good idea though...
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2007, 08:47 PM
    lottery winning books - Google Search

A lot of people are doing the books... Might make money just reselling the ones that have already been done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Euro Lottery [ 22 Answers ]

Wow apparently I just won a lump sum pay out of 1.000.000.00 Euro.(One Million Euro):D Anyone care for a vacation on me!? LMAO!! Okay, who wants what? I'm buying!! :p

Lottery winner [ 3 Answers ]

I've noticed an Ohio store clerk lottery winner of a million dollars, decided to take $50,000 annually for a number of years. After IRS taxes it would be only $34,000 annually. That a 68% tax bite. So I guess IRS has a certain tax rate for gambling proceeds. Too bad You could not include it as...

Best method for winning the lottery [ 20 Answers ]

What method of playing the lottery has the best chance of winning, by letting the computer select the numbers or by the Player selecting the numbers?

The Lottery Ticket [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone written a personal study on this short story by Anton Chekhov:)

View more questions Search