Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    me_mantis Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2005, 07:44 PM
    No software loads but linux
    I'm working on an e-machine which has a 19gig hd a 1.0 ghz celeron, a cd, and 256 mb PC 100 memory
    It sees all this stuff in the bios( this means that its not a hdd,cd,floppy,mem error)

it runs knoppix ( linux on a cd) fine ( this means that its not overheating)
    knoppix sees the hard drive too!

When I try to install windows xp, it hangs before it gets to the disk partitioning part (this means its worthless, it needs xp. Linux wasn't of any value)

It also hangs when I try to run data lifguard-cd stops spinning on the created 128mb buffer? On drive C,
    partition magic(on a floppy) - stops after it says "loading himem.sys "

and norten antivirus.

what could the problem be?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 12, 2005, 12:43 AM
    Have you tried using a boot floppy and going from there ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 12, 2005, 06:34 AM
    Looks like you need to repartition before you try anything more.

Dec 12, 2005, 09:53 AM
    Well I tried to install dos, and partition magic off bootable floppies, and I reformatted the hard disk on my xp machine.
    Its 19gig in ntfs.

Could this be a mobo prob?

Dec 12, 2005, 10:39 AM
    Don't reformat or install PM. Simple create a single DOS partition on the drive using FDISK. Do not format it. Boot to your XP CD and install XP.

Dec 12, 2005, 11:53 AM
    What is Fdisk, how do I get it, and will it load?

Do I have to use my working computer to reformat it?

Will it end up being a fat or fat32 partition?

Dec 12, 2005, 12:19 PM
    FDISK is a utility to manage partitions. It should be on the boot floppy. If you don't have it you can make a boot floppy at bootdisk.com

Mar 24, 2008, 11:30 PM
    Well, As it turns out, the northbridge chipset was broken (the one that communicates with the memory).. So basically it couldn't use certain commands to the memory..

Windows commands, mind you. Thus, you can install linux, but not windows.
    I learned this about 3 years ago, and as I found this, I decided I'd wrap it up.

The computer was returned to its original owner, and he probably threw it away. Ah well, It was rather slow anyhow =)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wind Loads [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone out there know how to calculate the wind load on a wooden fence? I have used 12 foot 4 x 4 pressure treated posts set in 4 feet of concrete spaced 8 feet apart. The concrete was poured in a 12 inch in diameter concrete tube. I used a strong concrete mix in the ratio 3:2:2. I want to use...

Access loads a bitmap into a OLE object as a package [ 2 Answers ]

My client has 3 aging Access 97 dbs that run the production floor of a large plastic manufacturing plant. These are in the process of being replaced by much more robust, professional grade manufacturing control systems. The client is investing millions in the new systems, so redesign at this point...

Linux [ 3 Answers ]

I am using VI editor at work to try to compile my programs for school in C. When I compile I get the file a.out. When I do this on the school's site I am able to just type a.out in the command line and it runs. They are using AIX (whatever that means). I cannot do that here. It keeps saying no such...

View more questions Search