Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FrankNatoli Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2007, 09:43 AM
    Very Old GE Heating+Cooling Thermostat
    Upgrading a 30+ year old GE heat/cool thermostat, running an oil fired hot air plus central A/C system to a programmable Honeywell thermostat. There are five thermostat wires. White, yellow, red and green are attached to W, Y, R and G terminals on the old thermostat and transfer easily to the new thermostat. But there is a fifth wire, color blue, that is connected to a terminal marked "2" on the old thermostat. Not clear how to transfer this to the new thermostat. Spoke with Honeywell for a half hour, no help from that quarter. GE sold its heating+cooling business to Trane in 1982. Placed info request with Trane, no reply yet. The old thermostat has a mechanical three position heat-off-cool switch and a two position fan auto-on switch. The PC board trace for the fifth/blue/2 wire clearly runs to a soldered connection on the heat position of the three position switch, so fifth/blue/2 wire is heat related, but exactly what? The guess is to control a humidifier, which the system does not have. What is the function of the fifth/blue/2 wire, and how might it map to the new thermostat? Thanks.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 6, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Your old system might have had two transformers. One for the furnace and one for the AC outside.

Does the old GE have a two stage heat system?

Click on this link to see what else it might be. You might also try to locate the blue wire at the furnace and see what it is connected to.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...tml#post268211
    FrankNatoli Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Traced mystery blue wire to furnace. No connect! Blue wire at furnace is coiled around the sheath. Only red, green, white and yellow make connects.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2007, 10:11 PM
    Good,, you should be done, forget the blue wire,
    concheri Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2013, 06:11 PM
    30 yr ac &fan only no heat
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2013, 03:46 PM
    Has it been this way for 30 yr?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Digital Thermostat for Line Voltage Heating AND Cooling? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello folks, I live in a condo in a relatively old building (~65 years) which uses line voltage thermostat controls (120/240V) for both heating and cooling (the heating and cooling source is a convector - they switch the building from heating to cooling every season). I'm trying to find a...

Heating/Cooling Programmable Thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

We just purchased a programmable thermostat and installed it this morning. We followed the instructions but it just seems to be heating too well. We've programmed it following the booklet but it's still too hot. Do you have any idea what we may be doing wrong?

Heating and cooling [ 1 Answers ]

HI I would like to get help to see if I have wired my thermostat correctly

Heating and cooling [ 3 Answers ]

My furnace come on and then starts to blow out cold air

View more questions Search