Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Varoth Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Dec 6, 2007, 08:08 AM
    Ethical First Aid
    Okay I have an assignment in my intro to anatomy and First aid class. I keep looking at it and I could use a little help with it. Not explicit help but a little guidance would help. Here's the assignment:

Scenario: You and your friends are on your way to the mountains for a weekend camping trip when you come upon a 1981 station wagon in a ditch at the side of the road. The car has rolled and there is smoke coming out from beneath the hood. There were five passengers. As you survey the scene you see that two passengers are still in the car, which smells like gasoline.

* The first passenger you see is a girl about 10 years old. She has some cuts and abrasions and her left leg is broken with the bone protruding. She is bleeding profusely from the point of the break.
    * The second victim is an adult male, still in the car. He is bleeding profusely from the head. His head has apparently gone through the windshield, and is strangely tilted. He is unconscious, but he does have a pulse.
    * Also still in the car is a little boy about 4 years old strapped into his car seat. His right eye is bleeding and he has some bruises and a red, swollen shoulder he can’t move. He is crying and won’t stop.
    * Lying face down on the road is a teenage boy who is not moving. He appears to have a cut on his head with some blood, and he has abrasions on his shoulder and arm.
    * A woman is out of the car crying. She is trying to stop traffic to get help. She is pale and cold, and her right arm just hangs at her side. She has some bleeding from a cut on that arm.

There are some things you already know. You know you should avoid moving someone who may have spinal injuries (neck and back) unless you have the training and skills necessary to immobilize the head and back.

Task: You must decide what you will do first, who you can help, and in what order. You must also determine the kinds of injuries and the kind of aid that you will render.

I could really use some help with this.
    Varoth Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Dec 12, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Screw it I did it myself, although I really don't eel confident in it. Ah well, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 12:31 PM
    J_9 would be the one that could answer this best. My order would be:

1. small child in car
    2. passed out guy in car (although you aren't supposed to move him - the fire + gas trumps that - IMO)
    3. check for pulse on kid lying face down
    4. Kid with broken leg
    5. Woman in shock
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Em, but I haven't had my emergency rotation yet. That's next semester... LOL

However, I tend to agree with your list. The car is smoking... smelling like gas... so you would want to get those people out first, then assess all injuries.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ethical practices [ 7 Answers ]

What is the relationship of constructive ethical practices to organizational performance?

Ethical Theories [ 7 Answers ]

Is there a list of basic ethical theories?

Ethical dilemma [ 2 Answers ]

I have been asked to change the aging category of a large account from over 120 days to current and to prepare a new invoice with a revised date, to change the allowance for uncollectable accounts from 180000 to 135000. I did ask why we would do that and I was told we need the extra income. Can...

Ethical issues in accouting-stating what the ethical thing to do is. [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: Ethical issue: the tobacco companies have paid billions because of smoking related illness. In particular, phillip morris, a leading cigarette maufacturer paid over 3 billion dollars in one year 1) Suppose you are the CFO (Chief Financial officer) responcible for the...

View more questions Search