Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dustyhair Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2005, 02:12 PM
    amana vs honeywell stat wiring
    My system consists of a heatpump(amana ) / air /gas furnace.
    I'm presently using an amana stat (T874tg189910574101 ) and plan on changing to a Honeywell 7400 5-1-1. The amana stat uses terminals: e jumpered to w2 with tan wire , g , c / x , r , y , and o. The honeywell diagram only shows 5 wires being used . My tan wire should be the outside anticipator for the heatpump? What terminal should this go to on the honeywell? John
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2005, 03:53 PM
    It sounds like the Honeywell is a basic 3 function thermostat. R, W, G, and Y are for power, heat, fan on, and cooling. If it has a B or C terminal, that is for the return to the transformer. Rh and RC should be both connected to the red wire. If the fifth terminal is for a temperature sensor, the directions should explain that.

Dec 11, 2005, 06:47 PM
    labman... thanx for the quick reply. Instructions do not specifically mention the remaining wire other than to say that if w2 had a wire on it then a contractor needs notified because system modification needs modified. The original installer years ago had a problem wiring the stat and found back then that a modification was needed and took care of it.The remaining terminals after connecting the other colors are labeled E and aux. Wire desigs are to E ( x2 , x e ) and aux ( aux, w1 , w or w2 ). My old stat had tan connected (e) and a jumper to w2.

Dec 11, 2005, 06:50 PM
    labman... the remainig wire is actually the sixth one.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2005, 07:05 PM
    W1 and W2 usually mean 2 different heating rates, or possibly auxiliary resistance heating for a heat pump. Your old thermostat may have been set up to activate the resistance heating if it was too cold outside. I do not know if the Honeywell can be made to do that and it sounds like Honeywell isn't going to help. I wish I could tell you more. I do what I can to help, but some things I don't know.

Dec 11, 2005, 07:14 PM
    Not a problem . I'd rather someone just say they don't know. I always hated it when I had a person that couldn't amaze me with brilliance try to baffle me with BS ! If I come up with an answer I'll post it. John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell stat to braeburn [ 1 Answers ]

I have a honeywell stat t8734c1432. I replaced it with a braeburn 5000. I have a staights cool outside condenser and a gas furnace in the attic. I have no heat after changing the stats. The honeywell is a 4 wire stat with a jumper between the y terminal and terminal 1. white is to w, red to r,...

Honeywell RTH230B Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I have an existing Honeywell non-programmable thermostat with 2 wires, a white and black. I 'd like to replace with the RTH230B programmable. After reading the Reader's Digest Do-it-Yourself book, it says I would need to add wires if I wanted to replace a non-programmable thermostat with a...

Honeywell t8624d wiring [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to replace my old honeywell thermostat with a new Honeywell t8624d Chronotherm IV. My old thermostat is the round turning type. I just want to use my new one for a 1 zone heat in basement. There is a red and white wire coming out of the wall. The red is going to the valve and the white...

Thermo stat wiring question [ 1 Answers ]

My LUX thermostat and wiring has a red wire and a white wire. My HEIL furnace is labeled R G W Y G. Does the red go to R & white to W? I'm not sure and don't want to cause any damage! Thanks for any help!

View more questions Search