Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Setup FTP
    How do you setup a PC to receive files from an FTP server? I guess making a PC an FTP client?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Typing ftp://<url> in your browser should work.

For anonymous FTP, the user name is ftp or anonymous and your email address should be the password.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Dec 6, 2007, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    typing ftp://<url> in your browser should work.

For anonymous FTP, the user name is ftp or anonymous and your email address should be the password.
    If you have problems connecting to the server, or getting files, with Internet Explorer or Firefox, you can also use Filezilla! which is a free FTP client. It works pretty well, it's when I use when Fitrefox and IE don't work, and when I need to transfer lots of files.

FileZilla - The free FTP solution
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2007, 05:32 AM
    Let me again revise my question, how do you setup a PC to receive a file from a server? I don't want to login the server to retrieve files but for the PC to receive files unattended.

Dec 7, 2007, 07:55 AM
    If you want to put files on the PC without any user intervention, you need to either have an FTP server set up on the PC, which you can connect to and upload files from the other computer, or set up an FTP server on the other computer and have a script that automatically downloads the file set up on the PC (if you look at my previous post, you can do this with the command line FTP client, and a file that contains a lit of commands).
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 12:52 AM
    I really don't know how to say this, but can you start a service"FTP" on windows to receive files from other platform? Without use of commands to retrieve files from the sender?

Dec 12, 2007, 06:29 AM
    You can install an FTP server on windows, but you have to use an FTP client to upload files to it, and if you want that to be automated, you have to use a script.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 12, 2007, 07:25 AM
    Trying to put this in a nutshell, you need to use an FTP client that can be automated. I don't know offhand of any that allow scripting, but there may be some out there.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2007, 07:53 AM
    Usually someone on some side has to intervene.

You running a server and them sending or they run a server and you sending.
    FTP is difficult to get working in home networks because of how FTP is implemented. Passive mode generally has to be used.

Scp or secure copy only uses one port and it's not as temperamental.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to setup a pump? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I'll be very appreciate if anyone can help me with this. I Have a small pool (10X4X4 ft), it's next to my house. Because I live on a hill, I want to setup a pump to circulate water from the pool to down the hill (it high about 9ft or so). My water supply is not really strong, anyway I...

Tv/dvd setup [ 2 Answers ]

My TV does not have the yellow/white /red plug only plug for cable how can I set up my dvd player without it

Wlan Setup [ 7 Answers ]

How To Set Up Wlan Setup? I Have Got A Laptop With Wlan Installed And A Desk Top With Whom I Want To Connect . Please Help

Setup VB package [ 0 Answers ]

Hi.. When I want to run setup.exe for my VB package into Windows 2000 professional this message appeared ; "Setup cannot continue because some system files are out of date on your system. Click OK If you would like setup to update these files for you now. You will need to restart Windows...

View more questions Search